Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Travel Document Issued But Didn't Meet Residency..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travel Document Issued But Didn't Meet Residency..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travel Document Issued But Didn't Meet Residency..
    Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 12:50am
Hello,

My PR card was issued in 2006 when I was 15 years old with my parents. In 2009, i decided to attend University in the U.S instead of relocating with my parents(I lived under a H-4 visa in the U.S before the PR was issued). I visited Canada occasionally, but I did not meet any residency obligations. I applied for the travel document for permanent residents abroad in April 2013 and i received it the following month! I graduated from the university with an engineering degree and now in Canada seeking a job. 

On the CIC website, it states that permanent residents who return back to Canada after using the travel document(which is actually an R-1 single entry visa) should apply for a PR renewal once they arrive in Canada. My concern is that if I apply for a renewal, they may reject me since I do not meet the residency obligation. What do you think? Is it a huge risk if I apply? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic