Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old PR Card Validity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyku1147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old PR Card Validity
    Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 7:46am
Hello,

Will my existing PR card still be valid after my new card is processed and awaiting pick up?

I will be on holiday during the approval process, and I dread my 'old' existing card being rejected at the self serve kiosks at YVR.

Thanks.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 1:15pm

Originally posted by hyku1147 hyku1147 wrote:

Will my existing PR card still be valid after my new card is processed and awaiting pick up?

I will be on holiday during the approval process, and I dread my 'old' existing card being rejected at the self serve kiosks at YVR.

I do not recall CIC practice in this regard.

You can of course apply for urgent processing before you leave on holiday, all you really need is a copy of paid-for tickets.

Moreover, if it is just a holiday, you are likely to be back anyway before the process is complete.

In contrast, if not really a holiday but you are abroad for an extended period of time (or are abroad currently), you probably want to look at the Operational Bulletin governing applicants for a PR card who are outside Canada, a copy of which was just posted in this forum by akella and which is on the CIC website linked here, which is specifically about instructions for processing when the applicant is outside of Canada. (You do not indicate you are abroad, or will be abroad for an extended period of time, but it is common for PRs to refer to being abroad for "holiday" when they are actually abroad for more than two or three weeks, so I include this information. I am not sure how, but it seems that CIC is more aware these days of if and when PRs are inside or outside Canada.)

All that said: no need to worry, as in no need to worry about the current ("old") card being "rejected" at the self serve kiosk in Vancouver's airport. All that would mean is that you spend a little more time going through the entry process at the POE, having to show your passport and positively identifying who you are. So long as you have been, in fact, in compliance with the PR residency obligation and was truthful in your application for the new PR card, it should be a very simple, not at all painful, not that slow a process.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
hyku1147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyku1147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 9:11pm
Thanks for the information. I will apply it to my travel plans.

Cheers
akella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 8:49am
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

I do not recall CIC practice in this regard.

I recall a post from one of the members either on this or another forum who was in a similar situation. Once a new card has been issued, the old one becomes invalid (which means you might have troubles with self-serve kiosks).

However, this is of minor concern - as you still have your previous one that is "unexpired" based on the printed validity date - you will be able to board the plane without issues (which is a primary issue for people with expired cards as they have to get another document to travel). Once you reach Canada - you will be in a similar situation to someone trying to enter via land border without PR card - they will be able to confirm your status based on your other identity documents and your story.

One minor piece of advice - if I were you, I would probably not use self-serve kiosks in this situation, but rather go through primary inspection line officer. I suspect that you will be flagged by the kiosk and document checking officer will automatically divert you to secondary inspection (again, not a huge concern as your status is ok, but you'll likely lose time waiting there). On the contrary, PIL officer might listen to your story and be able to resolve this situation on the spot without sending you to secondary.

hyku1147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyku1147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 10:55pm
Good advice.

Thanks
intelligente View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intelligente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 4:42pm

Cheers

True
Godliness with contentment is great gain
amardesai16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amardesai16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 11:28am
Did you use your old pr card when you entered in Canada ? 

Please share your experience on what happened ? 

I am also in similar situation and not sure what to do ? 
amardesai16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amardesai16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 11:30am

Cheers

Can you please share your experience ? Did you use your old PR card to enter in to Canada and did you get any trouble at the air port ? 

I am also in the same situation and not sure what to do.

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic