Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How long after fingerprints?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdywg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long after fingerprints?
    Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 8:29pm
Hello!  Has anybody had to do fingerprints after the test?  If so, how long after the fingerprints did you get your ceremony letter?

I applied in Winnipeg back in January 2011, test in April 2013, fingerprints in June 2013.  Still waiting . . .  

Thanks for the info. 
CyberHawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberHawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 10:57am
Originally posted by gdywg gdywg wrote:

Hello!  Has anybody had to do fingerprints after the test?  If so, how long after the fingerprints did you get your ceremony letter?

I applied in Winnipeg back in January 2011, test in April 2013, fingerprints in June 2013.  Still waiting . . .  

Thanks for the info. 

Do they ask for fingerprints before taking the oath?
I thought you get an invitation to take oath after writing the test. 
Landed 2007 Montreal
Applied 08/2011
In process 10/2012
Test's written 02/2013
beaverr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beaverr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 1:04pm
Fingerprint after test is weird
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 1:09pm

Originally posted by gdywg gdywg wrote:

Has anybody had to do fingerprints after the test? If so, how long after the fingerprints did you get your ceremony letter?

I applied in Winnipeg back in January 2011, test in April 2013, fingerprints in June 2013. Still waiting . . .

I do not specifically recall seeing reports here of this but the sample size of applicants reporting here is miniscule so even if no one here has reported experiencing this, that does not mean much.

My vague recollection is that we have seen reports of this, but again I cannot recall them specifically. I doubt this is all that unusual.

How long it will take to the next step, hopefully the notice to attend the oath ceremony (but, unfortunately, not necessarily), is unknown. There is no way to even offer a guess. A lot has to do with why they made the fingerprint request, which can range from matters of total coincidence so that fingerprints are formally requested for verification purposes (example: similar name and date of birth triggers hit in a name-records check, so fingerprints are simply to verify identity distinguishable from who is the real subject of the hit), to specific concerns about the applicant's identity or matters related to security or criminality issues (such as to conduct a thorough RCMP check based on fingerprints in addition to name-records). That is, the reason for the request can range from minimal concern to a substantial concern.

The timeline can vary greatly. The timeline will usually (we think) be related to the nature of the underlying concerns and inquiry, as in if there is a minimal concern and it is merely a verification of identity then a shorter timeline, but if there is a focused and substantial concern regarding a security matter that may tend to take a lot longer.

But at this stage of things it is impossible to so much as guess how it will go in practice for any given individual.

While there is no way of anyone here guessing what is underlying the request in your case, if you know why there was the long timeline between application and test, that might similarly illuminate at least something about why the fingerprint request has been made and what concerns there might be.

Originally posted by CyberHawk CyberHawk wrote:

Do they ask for fingerprints before taking the oath?
I thought you get an invitation to take oath after writing the test.

After writing the test there are a variety of next steps which can take place, ranging from a request for additional information and documentation (RQ) to a request for fingerprints, from being scheduled for a retest to being scheduled for a hearing with the Citizenship Judge, and some wait for a long while in queue waiting for CIC to conduct further inquiries or for CIC to receive the results of referrals to other agencies (referrals for inquiries or investigation). The formal background clearances may have to be updated at any time prior to the applicant's case being reviewed by the Citizenship Judge or being scheduled for the oath as well, and sometimes this can take a long time.

In particular, after the test all applications must still be reviewed by a Citizenship Judge. Thus, after the test the next step for any applicant can depend on the Citizenship Judge's determination (which can range from approval based on a file review to requests for additional information and documentation and/or a hearing with the applicant).

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by beaverr beaverr wrote:

Fingerprint after test is weird

Not really.

As I indicated in my previous post, this is something which can arise at any time right up to the taking of the oath.

Remember, before the Citizenship Judge is given the case there is at minimum (1) updating of all formal clearances if more than one year has passed since the clearances were previously obtained, and (2) a GCMS check. I am not certain, but I believe the GCMS check not only looks for things like NCBs in FOSS but also incorporates or is accompanied by a RCMP name-record check. There is a huge range of circumstances which may trigger requests after the test, including for fingerprints.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
gdywg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdywg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 8:26pm
Thank you all for the posts.  I called the CIC, they told me everything was ok, there's nothing wrong with my process.  They received my fingerprints the day after I took them.  Obviously there's nothing wrong with me.  The process has taken all this long because the Winnipeg offices takes forever since they are severely understaffed.  They told me I should get my Oath letter in the coming months.  Can't wait! :)
gdywg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdywg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 10:36pm
Nevermind, I just got an RQ letter.  I have no idea why.  Especially why 4 months after the citizenship test . . .  

This sucks . . . 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic