Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ID's for the test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123smike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ID's for the test
    Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 2:44am
I remember the forms said that for the test, you bring the ID which were given in the original aplication, since I dint drive and dont have driver's license , I think I sent them my PR card, passport copy, health card copy..do I need any more ID to show in the test since my application was accepted but I read somewhere that they are asking for 2 provicial ID's for tests apart from the passport, landing papers and PR card???
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 3:08am

Originally posted by 123smike 123smike wrote:

I remember the forms said that for the test, you bring the ID which were given in the original aplication, since I dint drive and dont have driver's license , I think I sent them my PR card, passport copy, health card copy..do I need any more ID to show in the test since my application was accepted but I read somewhere that they are asking for 2 provicial ID's for tests apart from the passport, landing papers and PR card???

As I read the guide (and, definitely, refer to the guide; rely on what is stated in the communication sent to you regarding what to bring to the test, and secondly on what the guide states about providing identification), the PR card does not count as identification, nor does the CoPR (or other landing papers for those who landed some time before I did).

A passport will serve as one of the forms of identification the applicant is required to present.

That said, there are two separate issues.

One is simply about establishing identity. That is the primary reason that identification must be presented. A passport is good identification for this purpose. A provincial health care card is good identification for this, particularly if it includes a photo.

A provincial drivers license, too, is a very good form of identification to present.

Note: any applicant for whom CIC has the least concerns about identity will most likely be asked to submit fingerprints.

Thus, for most applicants the real issue is not about establishing identity. (Indeed, if there is any concern about the individual's identity, that is one of those forks in the path that leads to all sorts of inquiries and delays.)

Which leads to the other issue: to what extent the forms of identification presented corroborate residency.

My health card does not reflect my residential address, for example. It is a good piece of identification, but the drivers license, which does reflect my home address, is better.

For most applicants, not to worry. Passport plus a health card (with photo) should suffice.

But the best, of course, is both a drivers license (showing photo plus residential address) and, say, a health care card (showing photo plus at least by inference residence in the province).

There are other alternatives. There is the "best." Then there is "better" and then "good" and then "OK" . . . If there is any doubt, yes, "best" is better than merely "OK."

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
123smike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123smike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 3:17am
There should be a standard policy so everbody knows what is exceptable..good, better , best is understandable but it is a big hassle for the applicants if I went for the test and they ask for 2 provisional ID's, since I am on the forumn..I do keep myself updated about what is the current trend and what happened at the tests and so on..but this is little confusing..to say the least, a novince person goes in there without 2 provicial ID and it was never mentioned in the forms..then his application is delayed unnecessarily with no fault of his own,...which gains backlog for CIC and pain for the applicants and both sides are at a loss...

Edited by 123smike - 20 Jun 2013 at 3:18am
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 4:08am
As I said, the primary purpose of the requirement is to, indeed, establish identity. If your identification meets the minimum requirements for establishing identity (one with photo), that suffices. Identity established.

Indeed, for an applicant who CIC has concerns about itentity, there will be a fingerprint request.

Beyond that, duh, CIC will cross-check information and consider everything in its overall assessment. There is no surprise about that. That is the standard.

So, for example, if someone presents a form of identification that confirms the address the applicant says is where they live, duh, that is better than a form of identification that does not corroborate place of residence.

This is not about strict requirements. This is about how things look to a bureaucrat as he or she examine the applicant and the applicant's documentation. Thus, for example, an applicant who claims to be living in Manitoba who presents a British Columbia health card, duh, problems, WTF, discrepancy raising red flag and all.

Common-sense plays a big role. Common-sense plus comparing information. Yes, CIC will look at the details of the information on one's identification and compare that to information in the application. That, actually, is the traditional, standard, quality control check methodology employed by CIC.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic