Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Van 2012 applicants

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmonton2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 6:27pm
Timeline spreadsheet

Rec'd: Sep 01, '11
In proc: Jan 24, '12
Test: Apr 25, '13
Oath: Jul 1, '13
guitarhero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 10:05pm
Updating about my citizenship test today. It was quite easy and straightforward. The officer informed me that I passed the test, however, he handed me a RQ during the interview. He found inconsistencies between the stamps in my passport and what I reported in my application. It is completely my fault and I wish I paid more attention when I filled out the application. Now the hard part begins i.e., collecting all the documents for the RQ.

I applied with 1096 days, but after correcting I am down to 1085 days. I am not sure what to do in such situation.

Cheers!
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 4:01am

Originally posted by guitarhero guitarhero wrote:

Updating about my citizenship test today. It was quite easy and straightforward. The officer informed me that I passed the test, however, he handed me a RQ during the interview. He found inconsistencies between the stamps in my passport and what I reported in my application. It is completely my fault and I wish I paid more attention when I filled out the application. Now the hard part begins i.e., collecting all the documents for the RQ.

I applied with 1096 days, but after correcting I am down to 1085 days. I am not sure what to do in such situation.

Good news is that if everything else is in order, you have all your travel documents, you have proof of ownership or rental or some occupancy related interest in a place of abode covering every month going back to four years prior to applying (or arrival date in Canada if that was less than four years prior to applying), and you have all your CRA Notices of Assessment in conjunction with other direct, objective evidence of what you have been doing (employment, school), it all should eventually go well. It just may be a long while getting there.

The bad news is not too bad, considering, other than the inherent delay this is going to involve, and that bad news is mostly about compromising your credibility. Many people think of credibility in terms of telling the truth, as in not lying, and in doing so overlook that accuracy and reliability are the hallmarks of credibility, not intention. An inaccurate reporter cannot be counted on to always give accurate information. Why the reporter (applicants are self-reporting the information they submit in the application and in the response to the RQ, and are thus the "reporter" I am referring to here) was not accurate on prior occasions matters some, but the fact of being inaccurate compromises the extent to which someone can rely on this individual to accurately report other information, regardless of why the original inaccuracy occurred (be it a lie, a mistake, a misunderstanding, whatever).

I say this is not so bad considering because mistakes are common. Contrary to what some here tend to broadcast, my sense is that CIC is actually fairly flexible, fairly liberal even, and generally understanding about how individuals make mistakes, and so they do not necessarily hold relatively small mistakes against applicants if, otherwise, the applicant appears on the up-n-up as some put it.

It is bad news nonetheless since it was more than being off by just a day or two, and you applied so close to the physical presence threshold. And now you are below the physical presence threshold, so it is more likely you will have to wait a long while to see a Citizenship Judge in person. Not sure you will. And in this regard, even though it will be a long while from now, many months at least, significant chance it will be more than a year, before you have much of a clue as to how this is going to go (as in whether or not you will have to see a CJ in person), I hope you come back and keep us informed about how this goes, however it goes.

In any event, I take it you understand most of this. I go into the detail to emphasize that, sure, you are in a bit of tough spot, and you have some work to do, but it is not insurmountable if you compile the key documents to include with your response to the RQ.

If other than for the mistake leading to the recalculation of 11 days or so, you otherwise make a solid impression as someone who is providing truthful, accurate information, and that information paints a clear picture of someone settled permanently in Canada, and the absences were all clearly of a temporary sort (not about retaining ties to home country or a job or career in another country), the odds are good enough of success in the long run to make putting a substantial effort into responding to the RQ worthwhile, and riding this out worthwhile. There are no guarantees of course. In some cases CJs are applying the strict APP requirement of 1095 days, and that could be enough to deny you. But, again, my sense is that someone well settled, permanently settled in Canada, with the basic, key proof, is more likely to be OK when it comes time for the ultimate decision, even though they fall short of 1095 days APP by a dozen days.

Again, please keep us informed about how this goes.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
guitarhero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 1:16am
Thank you Depenabill,

I have been spending all my evenings collecting documents. Pretty stressful. I guess this is what happens when one overlooks details.

Depenabil,

I was wondering if I should add a letter with the RQ explaining that I made some mistakes in the dates for absence because I did not look at my passport and instead relied on my memory. Could you help me put together a simple letter?

Thank you.
123smike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123smike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 9:25pm
RQ for me even though I had sent out information in additional information questionaire regarding my leases and other information , would like to get information how to get file separated from my family, thanks
emc11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emc11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 10:52pm
Hello Everyone! 

I have been quite silent lately as there wasn't any new info at all. In March I sent my application for renewing my PR card since I had to leave the country to visit my family and I got it in June 2013, thus, I was not expecting to know anything about citizenship for awhile after they went on strike. However, today I have received a letter saying the following: Notice to appear to write a citizenship test - SEPT 17 @ 10am @ Vancouver CIC Office!!!

I do not know what to expect nor I know if they are doing the "right away" ceremony as they are doing it in Eastern Canada. Anyone has any info on regards any of these issues? It will be greatly appreciated!!!!

So excited!!!!!!
JskiSco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JskiSco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 11:28pm
hello emc11,

Has your Ecas been updated, I am in whistler waiting on my test date, and i am now a little worried, as i know its coming soon, but i have not received any post, i find canada post a little slow up here.  the reason i am worried is that i am booked to travel on a family vacation to vegas for 4 days - 15th-18th,

thanks

jskisco
emc11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emc11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 12:02am
Hi jskisco,

Yeah! Today I came back from interior Bc and I found in the mail the letter. At first I didnt believed it and went online to double check and it was posted, here is what it says:
  1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on September 11, 2012.

2. We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on September 11, 2012. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

3. We started processing your application on January 3, 2013.

4. We sent you a notice on August 28, 2013 to appear and write the citizenship test on September 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.
If I were you I would call them after next tuesday and see what they say or just hold off on your trip, since I heard that reschedules are taking forever to happen. I was not expecting it at all and it came by surprise and I know have only 17 days to prepare and I start school on tuesday :( 

Keep us updated ;)

emc11
emc11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emc11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 11:00pm
Hi Everyone, 

I just wanted to update here quickly. I had my exam on Tuesday and I passed it. The interview went pretty good, even though I totally forgot at home my passport's copies which I got asked on. The officer even joked with me that I should have applied early on! 

The officer was checking off the dates from the calculator and verifying from my passports and she told me that everything was in check and that I should wait in mail for my oath invitation. I did not get any RQ package or anything. So I guess that means something good right?

I will not be disclosing any questions on the test, but only advise that you do need to read the book a few times and thoroughly. We were about 50 persons taking the test that morning.  

Now the waiting game begins for the final lap. They mentioned it would take between 3-5 months for it to come in. I hope it is my X-mas gift from them :)

How's everyone else doing? 

emc11
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by emc11 emc11 wrote:

The officer was checking off the dates from the calculator and verifying from my passports and she told me that everything was in check and that I should wait in mail for my oath invitation.

Did the officer check passport stamps and visas, if any, after relevant 4 year period and until current?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic