Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR card Renewal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 1:59pm

Hi All,

I need some advise on the situation below:

1. I applied for CDN citizenship in Mississauga on 5th July 2010

2. I got my test date on 29th of April 2011

3. I was given an RQ

4. My PR card is now slated to expire in December 2011 and I do travel to the US for work often.

Therefore my question is, can I apply for a PR card renewal, while my citizenship application is in RQ status ?

I have already submitted all evidence of my residency to the Mississauga office 2 months ago. However, seeing some of the timelines here, I am not sure I will get my citizenship in time to continue work related travel to the US.

Also it seems like the PR card renewal process is equally long and stressful. The nature of my work requires me to travel in an ad hoc fashion, and the ability to not travel for a few months can seriously jeopardize my employment.

Should I book business travel and request an Urgent PR card renewal process ? or Should I apply for the standard timeline and deal with the ramifications to my job seperately ?

Any help or advice is much appreciated.
cadeto
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 2:39pm
Hi cadeto,

I replied to this in some detail in the RQ thread.

One additional note: while the PR renewal process is not so brief as it once was, it is not nearly so long and stressful as being given RQ during the processing of an application for citizenship. Should be OK. Get the application in soon and it should go well. Just be sure to be fully honest and accurate in the application.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
cadeto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 4:38pm
Thanks for the reponse on both threads.

will make every effort to do so. The application for PR renewal is as monotonous as the citizenship application. It takes quite a bit of effort to ensure it is filled out accurately.

Also simply getting the IM5545 supplementary form takes about 2 weeks, which is required for PR card renewal.

On one other post I read that travel to and from the US by land does not require a valid PR card and landing papers (confirmation of permanent residence would be sufficient). Is that accurate ?

cadeto
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 5:15pm
Technically a PR is obliged to present a valid PR card upon seeking entry to Canada. But, also technically, a PR is entitled to enter Canada upon proof of identity and confirmation of status.

Most PRs in your situation probably would NOT encounter much difficulty in returning to Canada via private vehicle at a land/bridge crossing, so long as they have a valid passport and the original CoPR, though possession of other ID would be helpful, especially a drivers' license.

I don't think a Canadian PR card is relevant to entry into the U.S., as I do not think having PR status in Canada changes how U.S. handles a foreign national . . . entry into the U.S. is dependent on one's nationality. (Canadian PR status can be relevant to collateral issues underlying whether visitor or other temporary visas are granted by the U.S., since a Canadian PR who has well-established ties in Canada is considered more likely to return to Canada than stay in the U.S.)

If you are not from a visa-exempt country originally, you would need a valid PR card, or a specially issued TD, to board commercial transportation destined for Canada.

Bottom-line: most PRs in your situation probably would find re-entering Canada via private vehicle from the U.S. NOT problematic; some, however, could be subjected to a substantially more rigorous examination at the POE.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

jawad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jawad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 9:03am

Dpenabill

hi i have good news; as requested urgent process  
Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on xx, 2011. You will be notified by mail within four weeks and invited to pick up your card at the CIC office closest to you.

still my citizenchip on the go waiting for it

regards

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 1:03pm
Good.

Maybe you would care to give the site a little more detail about the timeline?

jawad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jawad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 4:29am
dear dpenabill

timeline that i renewed my pr was approx 4 weeks till i rcvd the card as urgent processing,,
my timeline is 4 weeks - from sending application to rcv the card ..  but this does not guarantee that everybody will rcv pr on time - they should be careful also in urgent processing unless like me since i have applied for citizenchip and waiting for it..

now my question to you depanbill
1) since i applied for citizenchip and renewd my pr i can leave the country for how many days as  my new pr will expire in 2016 as i have rcvd RQ on citizenchip application ..and send all documents to cic as iam on waiting
a) can i leave for one year  
b)can i leave for 2 years  or any suggestion will be appreciated

regards

mina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 3:34pm
Hi

My Pr renewal request was approved on Aug 26. I was supposed to get a letter within 4 months. No letter yet. I called cic 3 times and once they told me It'll take  a month that Sydney office to print your card then 1  month to send the card to the local office, then within 4 weeks they will send the letter. Is there anybody with same experience? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
  Share Topic