Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does CIC check employment?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does CIC check employment?
    Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 10:26pm
I've been working at my current employer for almost a year now. Unfortunately, around this time its slow and i've been temporarily laid off.
Once business picks up again, my boss will call me back. I've talked to my boss about using his company as my employment while i'm currently laid off which he didn't have a problem with.

Would this cause a problem with my application if I list the company as employment, even though I'm temporarily laid off? I can expect a callback to work within 1-2 months.
Does CIC call and do employment checks?
I don't really want to list my current situation as unemployed knowing that by the time i send my application and once it gets looked at I would be employed (hopefully anyways) at that location.

And just for assumption.
Say I do list my current employer as my employment but during my application process, I find different employment elsewhere. Would I need to notify CIC of the change? And if so, do I call and tell them? Or put it in writing and mail it off?

Edited by jimjones - 23 Feb 2010 at 10:26pm
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 2:40am
The following is based on the assumption that you are the sponsor and that you are simply sponsoring your partner, or your partner and your partner's dependent children.

Foremost, it is never a good idea to be anything other than quite honest. Indeed, it is important to not only be honest, but to avoid any appearance of dishonesty.

Secondly, it is particularly unwise to be less than definitively honest relative to an issue for which the honest response is not in the least problematic. Being unemployed in these circumstances does not weaken the case at all. It is your history of employment and prospects for future employment that weigh the most, and the bar is not all that high since sponsored partner cases do not need to meet minimum financial resource requirements.

Thus, if as of the date you actually sign and submit the application, you are "laid off" that is exactly what you should say in the application. You certainly can add a supplemental page explaining that the lay off is typical for the season and that you fully expect to be back at work within a couple months. Remember, you must include a letter from your current employer anyway . . . so hopefully you can get a letter saying pretty much what you said about the likelihood of returning to work within a month or two.

And no, a sponsor does not need to update CIC with ordinary changes in employment.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
jimjones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 3:17pm
Yes I am the sponsor.
I understand what you're saying. I had no intentions of being dishonest. Reading back what I wrote, I can see where you're coming from.
If I was told that I am being fired or let go, I would consider myself no longer employed by that company. I just felt that I am on alittle break and will be back working soon anyways.
I guess what I was looking for was clarification on this situation.
Thanks for your response and perspective.

bflava View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bflava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 3:40pm
u welcome
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 4:09pm
I understood what you were asking . . . and my response probably sounds more in the vein of chastising than intended. In additiona to reassuring you that it is OK to be unemployed as a sponsor, I mostly meant to urge that you be careful about how you put things, since it is, indeed, easy for things to be misunderstood, misinterpreted.

That is, an underlying consideration in completing the paperwork is that oft times we can and do say things that can be taken out of context, or misinterpreted --
-- and when submitting information to a bureaucracy in a matter as important and complicated, and involving so much information, as an immigration application, it is particularly important to pay attention to what is suggested or implied or even what someone might simply infer . . . and the key is to not just be meticulously honest but to be sure to not say things in a way that might be interpreted to not be honest (and to especially avoid inconsistencies or apparent inconsistencies). How we put things and how someone else, particularly a someone else who is a busy bureaucrat charged with quickly processing paperwork from total strangers, interprets them can often be far apart.

Good luck by the way, though you probably don't need it.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic