Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CPC-S and Local Office RQ stats: 22.1%  *UPDATED*
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CPC-S and Local Office RQ stats: 22.1% *UPDATED*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by eileen eileen wrote:

#2- I find it the timing of Kenney's interview with SA Generation Next and his tweets regarding RQs to be suspect. In the interview and tweets he "released" data on RQs and the citizenship delay, a subject that he has said next to nothing about previously.

Quite possible. There is this "Weekly ATI Report" on amber light releases that ATIP Dept circulates.  It  lists important upcoming releases. I ordered someone else's copy once.

"The amber light process is a heads up process to advise senior management of upcoming access to information releases that may attract media or political attention. The purpose of this report is to advise senior management of amber light emails that may be forwarded for their attention. Due to the complexity of these files, the volume of information and the need for consultations both inside and outside the Department, the planned release dates may change."

Engo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Engo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 10:02pm
Thank you, akella. Very informative. 
coldnomad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldnomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 10:06pm
WTF, why did Calgary issue only 39 RQs, when Edmonton issued 175 ?!?  Calgary has to be processing way more cases than Edmonton, 1.5 to 2 more probably, yet issues 4 times less RQs.

Something's not right here.
Engo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Engo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 10:10pm
BTW, is there any difference between the RQ, especially the pre-test RQ, that is issued from Sydney and the one that is issued from the local office?
kisunja85 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kisunja85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by coldnomad coldnomad wrote:

WTF, why did Calgary issue only 39 RQs, when Edmonton issued 175 ?!?  Calgary has to be processing way more cases than Edmonton, 1.5 to 2 more probably, yet issues 4 times less RQs.

I was wondering that, too. A clever way to clear the local backlog, maybe?Angry 

albertan2011 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albertan2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by kisunja85 kisunja85 wrote:

I beg to differ from that.In that case,Calgary would have been issuing more RQs ..isnt it ?

What I can interpret is that it might be due to better and more job opportunities in Calgary,so fewer people remaining unemployed and fulfilling the A5 criteria of getting RQ.

Just my 2 cents!
eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by akella akella wrote:

[QUOTE=eileen]
Someone please look at the data - any ideas on what period might have been used for this statement?

I estimated on my website (with some caveats) a 12.5% RQ rate on based on the only previous official-ish RQ number (CIC quotes approx. 11,000 issued between 7 may 2012 and 28 sept 2012 in Nick Keung's January Toronto Star article). I extrapolated the daily RQ rate to find an approximate yearly RQ rate and then divided that by number of applications in 2011 (on the assumption that RQs from the summer of 2012 would be in response to 2011 applications.) Pretty rough estimate.

This release counts 13,553 RQs (local & sydney) during that period.

Not to say that Kenney is cruising my blog for misinformation, but perhaps others extrapolated similar info as well.

Got some updates to do.

Resources for Future Canadians & their Advocates: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com
kisunja85 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kisunja85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by albertan2011 albertan2011 wrote:

I beg to differ from that.In that case,Calgary would have been issuing more RQs ..isnt it ?

What I can interpret is that it might be due to better and more job opportunities in Calgary,so fewer people remaining unemployed and fulfilling the A5 criteria of getting RQ.

Just my 2 cents!
Well, job opp depend on your sector. Edmonton has a very large backlog due to not having a judge for most of 2012, and having only one judge after that. Calgary has two judges, despite having roughly the same population (take Edmonton+ St. Albert +Sherwood Park) and covers territories with smaller number of immigrants except for the greater Calgary area.So, freeing resources for some files that are "clean" and sidelining those that fulfill at least one criterion on the checklist. Why not, officers' performance is measured by hitting the target quota for the files, not by how well they "connect the dots" as our moderator likes to say.

Edited by kisunja85 - 30 May 2013 at 10:57pm
coldnomad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldnomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 12:24am

That's a possibility, although I'm not sure if pending RQs are considered "out of backlog". In fact, aren't RQs required to be reviewed by a judge, whereas routine applications are not reviewed by the judge? That's my understanding.

It's more like a lack of standards across offices. What's stopping an overzealous officer or two from having way too many suspicions?

I can't think of anything else that could legitimately cause such a discrepancy. I doubt immigrant population profiles are very different between the two cities.

One other note, looking at CPC-S RQs issued in very recent months, there's no clear trend of diminishing RQs. So the theories that OB-407 procedures have been overhauled since summer 2012 are probably not true. :(
kisunja85 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kisunja85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 12:39am

That's a possibility, although I'm not sure if pending RQs are considered "out of backlog". In fact, aren't RQs required to be reviewed by a judge, whereas routine applications are not reviewed by the judge? That's my understanding.

It's more like a lack of standards across offices. What's stopping an overzealous officer or two from having way too many suspicions?

I can't think of anything else that could legitimately cause such a discrepancy. I doubt immigrant population profiles are very different between the two cities.

One other note, looking at CPC-S RQs issued in very recent months, there's no clear trend of diminishing RQs. So the theories that OB-407 procedures have been overhauled since summer 2012 are probably not true. :(
All applications are reviewed by the judge, because the judge is the sole decision maker in citizenship grants. However, the RQs require far more time from citizenship officers  to prepare documents for the judge (the file analysis template), and the judge possibly spends more time reviewing those. 
I think it is not only (and mostly not) overzealousness, but also the fact that they are overworked. Previous reports posted by akella show that they have the target quotas of files to process, and at some point, they may just want to go over the checklist mechanically and flag the files or meet the quota. 
(I have to admit, I am extrapolating from my own experience of 10+ hours a day grading student papers. At some point I simply did not care about students' GPA and how important it is for their future plans. l  just skimmed the papers and assigned the grade by the rubric because I did not have time to really think about their argument).
PS. Here is the link to the CBC report that states, @7.20 that citizenship officers can only review 2-3 RQs a day given their workload. http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Local+Shows/Ontario/Ottawa+Morning/ID/2381282221/

Edited by kisunja85 - 31 May 2013 at 12:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic