Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

US citizen giving birth in Canada?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mkumar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US citizen giving birth in Canada?
    Posted: 28 May 2013 at 5:22pm
Hi, I'm a US citizen and I'm 7 months pregnant by my boyfriend who is in Canada on a Student Visa. He is from India and have been a student in Canada for 3 years. We met on a trip to visit a friend of mine and we have been together ever since. Me going to Canada every month to see him and also my friends that I know there but mostly him :)

I got pregnant and I'm 7 months along now. We are applying for his fiancé Visa but everything is taking so long that I'm loosing hope that he will make it here for the birth of our child. I really want him to be present so we were thinking that if he doesn't get his permit to come to US by then that I will have the baby in Ontario.

Now, I'm not sure of that's possible. We are planning to pay for the both out of pocket because obviously I'm not covered by the healthcare OHIP thing in Canada. I can care less if my baby is a Canadian citizen or not. It would be nice to have dual citizenship but eventually my fiancé will move to US so we are not planning to stay in Canada.

My question is, will I have any issues with Canada immigration to go there when I'm 9 months pregnant?
Will I have any trouble bringing my baby back to US?
Will my baby be Canadian or US citizen or Indian?

Anything else I need to do/know in advance?
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 7:36pm
Hi

Originally posted by Mkumar Mkumar wrote:

Hi, I'm a US citizen and I'm 7 months pregnant by my boyfriend who is in Canada on a Student Visa. He is from India and have been a student in Canada for 3 years. We met on a trip to visit a friend of mine and we have been together ever since. Me going to Canada every month to see him and also my friends that I know there but mostly him :)

I got pregnant and I'm 7 months along now. We are applying for his fiancé Visa but everything is taking so long that I'm loosing hope that he will make it here for the birth of our child. I really want him to be present so we were thinking that if he doesn't get his permit to come to US by then that I will have the baby in Ontario.

Now, I'm not sure of that's possible. We are planning to pay for the both out of pocket because obviously I'm not covered by the healthcare OHIP thing in Canada. I can care less if my baby is a Canadian citizen or not. It would be nice to have dual citizenship but eventually my fiancé will move to US so we are not planning to stay in Canada.

My question is, will I have any issues with Canada immigration to go there when I'm 9 months pregnant?
Will I have any trouble bringing my baby back to US?
Will my baby be Canadian or US citizen or Indian?

Anything else I need to do/know in advance?

1. You may have trouble entering at 9 months.
2. The birth will cost you $4/5 K if there are no complications, a mid wife would be cheaper.
3. You will need a US passport for the child, so you will have to apply for the US version of proof of citizen as s/he will be a citizen by descent. see:http://travel.state.gov/travel/living/living_5497.html
4. The baby will be a Canadian, and can register for Indian citizenship but will have to make a decision at the age of 18 to either renounce his Indian or his US citizenship.
PMM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic