Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Study Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2009 Taxes... to file or not to file

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2009 Taxes... to file or not to file
    Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 4:10pm
Hey everyone,

Trying to figure out if my spouse should be filing a tax return this year or not.
Here's the background info for 2009:

She visted Canada for 40 days between March and May 2009
She applied for (and received) a study permit valid from September 2009 to July 2010
She came to Canada with her study permit in Mid-August
She shipped personal belongings (books) before she left, and received them at the customs office
We married at the end of October
We have not yet applied for spousal immigration (we were waiting on her police certs, and medical)

She earned income from a foreign institution while NOT living in Canada (from January to mid-August)
She had not earned any income since coming to Canada in mid-August.

---
To file, or not to file?  That is the question.
---

Also - given that we will be filing an outland immigration application in mid-March (that's when the medical is booked), does this factor into the process?  Or will this only affect 2010's returns?

Thanks... I am dual-posting this in Study Visa and Spousal - to cover the broad spectrum.  My apologies if this is a technical no-no.  Is there a way to link threads?

Thanks again!
Artic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 1:20pm
first question. What medical is she doing?
Student Permit - Work Permit - PG work permit - PNP Route - PR Granted.
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 10:18am
She's getting a medical in Canada (by a CIC approved Dr.) to attach to the spousal sponsorship application.
Artic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 10:51am
She has to file her tax in the country she was working. Since she is not workingn in canada and only studying. She can file a tax claim in canada for the last four months and YES as a student you will fer last four month, you will get tax return.

Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 11:41am

She has already filed in Japan (where she was working before she came to Canada on a  student visa) -- actually (and I find this very weird) -- she told me that she never 'filed' anything in Japan - that every year they would just send her a statement saying that her taxes were up to date.  NOTE: she has that statement now for her 2009 income.

So, when you say that she can file a return - is that 'optional' ?  And if so, are you suggesting that she file because she'll get money back?

For some reason I doubt that there is any chance of her getting a refund.

Artic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 12:40pm
Best bet will be goto H&R Block (I dont work there but i do my taxes there for accurate balance).

As an international student she can file her tax to get GST tax money every 3 month and she can also explain to H&R rep about her work in japan and take statement along just incase.
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 2:27pm
Artic,
I think I'm going to take this one to my accountant. 
I'm pretty sure that they factor in both spouse's incomes when determining GST eligibility - so it's doubtful that she'll qualify for a GST cheque. 

I just want to make sure that everything is on the up-n-up with Revenue Canada.  If she *has* to file by law, she will file.   If it's not mandatory - and there's no compelling reason to file (i.e. GST cheques) then she won't file.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic