Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Work visa expiry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Work visa expiry
    Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 3:19pm
Seems like whenever somebody I know would have problems with papers, the first thing that comes into my mind is to ask opinion from this forum. This discussion board is really helping because of the expert/experienced opinions we get from members.

Anyways, my friend came here in Canada as a contract worker, and after working for a couple of months on her first employer, she moved to a different one where she is currently working now.  Her visa will expire this April, but her work permit is valid till December of this year.  She talked to somebody at Canada Place here in Edmonton (not sure what government office) and was told that to renew her visa she has to go home in the Philippines, which she does not want to do because she heard from other people that if she goes home, it might be hard for her to come back again because the Canadian Embassy there is not keen on issuing work visas at these times of recession even if the applicant has LMO or work permit, is this true?  She was also told that she could renew her work permit and this would automatically give her status to stay even her visa has expired, but then, applying for renewal of visa should be done a month before it expires, which would be on Nov, and her visa would expire this April. She and her fiance are also planning to get married but the guy has just started processing his divorce papers with the previous marriage, so this will take awhile. For now, she has to do something on her work visa and work permit expiry, but don't know how. Any opinion would be much appreciated. 
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 8:00pm
Hi,

Your friend can apply for her TRV to a Canadian Consulate office in the US.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/imm/visa_temp.aspx?lang=eng

She needs to send a copy of her valid work permit. She can stay in Canada for as long as her work permit is valid, but if she leaves Canada she would need a visa to be able to enter again even if she has a valid work permit.

Originally posted by nadeen nadeen wrote:

Seems like whenever somebody I know would have problems with papers, the first thing that comes into my mind is to ask opinion from this forum. This discussion board is really helping because of the expert/experienced opinions we get from members.Anyways, my friend came here in Canada as a contract worker, and after working for a couple of months on her first employer, she moved to a different one where she is currently working now.  Her visa will expire this April, but her work permit is valid till December of this year.  She talked to somebody at Canada Place here in Edmonton (not sure what government office) and was told that to renew her visa she has to go home in the Philippines, which she does not want to do because she heard from other people that if she goes home, it might be hard for her to come back again because the Canadian Embassy there is not keen on issuing work visas at these times of recession even if the applicant has LMO or work permit, is this true?  She was also told that she could renew her work permit and this would automatically give her status to stay even her visa has expired, but then, applying for renewal of visa should be done a month before it expires, which would be on Nov, and her visa would expire this April. She and her fiance are also planning to get married but the guy has just started processing his divorce papers with the previous marriage, so this will take awhile. For now, she has to do something on her work visa and work permit expiry, but don't know how. Any opinion would be much appreciated. 
nadeen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 12:14am
Thank you job_seeker. I went over the link but it still seems unclear for me. Basically, because her work visa will expire this April but work permit is valid till December of this year, her concern is if she needs to apply for extension of visa or would it matter if she leaves it to expire as long as her work permit is still valid. Would she still be in status between April and December without her visa extended? If she needs to, does this office in Buffalo service residents of other countries like Philippines? Coz she was told that to renew the visa she has to go home in the Philippines and apply at the Canadian Embassy there, which she does not want to do if possible. Thank you for being so helpful.

job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 1:11am
Originally posted by nadeen nadeen wrote:

Thank you job_seeker. I went over the link but it still seems unclear for me. Basically, because her work visa will expire this April but work permit is valid till December of this year, her concern is if she needs to apply for extension of visa or would it matter if she leaves it to expire as long as her work permit is still valid. Would she still be in status between April and December without her visa extended? If she needs to, does this office in Buffalo service residents of other countries like Philippines? Coz she was told that to renew the visa she has to go home in the Philippines and apply at the Canadian Embassy there, which she does not want to do if possible. Thank you for being so helpful.

Hi,

Yes, she can apply either to Buffalo or Seattle. It is best she does it now in case she needs to leave Canada. She would be in status for the duration of her work permit but she would not be able to enter Canada if she left Canada after the validity of her visa even if in the possession of a valid work permit.

If you are in Canada with a temporary work permit and need to apply for a TEMPORARY RESIDENT VISA to travel abroad, please provide:

* A photocopy of your current permit and
    * A letter from your employer or other proof of current employment.

The validity of your temporary resident visa (TRV) may not exceed the duration of your study/work permit or visitor record. If you intend to have your Study/Work Permit or Visitor Record extended you should do so before you apply for a TRV.

Edited by job_seeker - 22 Feb 2010 at 1:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic