Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can a PR (who immigrated as FSW) live in Quebec?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can a PR (who immigrated as FSW) live in Quebec?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can a PR (who immigrated as FSW) live in Quebec?
    Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 4:17pm
Dear All,

I am a PR who immigrated under the Federal Skilled Worker program. The only job offer I have at the moment (and it is a very good job) is in Quebec. As an immigrant who did not immigrate under Quebec's special immigration program, would there be problems down the road if I settle down in Quebec? If I end up living in Quebec for 3 years, and I want to apply for Canadian citizenship, would it be problematic that I have settled in Quebec?

Let me add that I honestly had no intention of settling in Quebec when I first applied for immigration. I do not speak French, and I never really wanted to learn French. It just happened that the only job offer I have at the moment is for a rare English-speaking position in Quebec.

Tango

canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 4:28pm
You need to post this question in the PR related section of this forum. This section is reserved specifically for the issues of Canadian Immigration.

I believe you should have no problems, but you may want to check with a lawyer.
Yeha Noha 7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeha Noha 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 5:11pm
You can settle anywhere in Canada. At the moment Quebec "is still" part of Canada. 
angrypolarbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angrypolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 6:03pm
Tango, when did you get your PR?

If you are already a PR, then I don't think that it should be a problem to take a job in Quebec.  However, I think CIC's attitude might depend on how long you have been a PR for.  If it hasn't been very long, then they might suspect that it was your intention to settle in Quebec all along, and tried to bypass the Quebec immigration system.  This might sour any future dealings with CIC.

Perhaps someone with a better grasp of the legality of all this could identify any cases where CIC has caused issues for someone who took a job in Quebec under these circumstances?  Or, if you have the means, consult an immigration lawyer.
Received 25 Nov 11 | Started Processing 27 Nov 12 | RQ issued 15 Jan 13 | RQ response received by CIC 26 Feb 13

Fingerprints requested 2 Apr 13 | FP received by CIC 23 Apr 13 | Test Date 28 May 14
angrypolarbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angrypolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 6:14pm
A quick search revealed the following topic from another forum (though it is a bit old):

Summary of the information there: PRs have full mobility rights to live and work anywhere in Canada, but problems may occur if you try to land in Quebec without the appropriate documentation, or if you want to access Quebec's "new immigrant" services.

You could also give Immigration Quebec a call:

Received 25 Nov 11 | Started Processing 27 Nov 12 | RQ issued 15 Jan 13 | RQ response received by CIC 26 Feb 13

Fingerprints requested 2 Apr 13 | FP received by CIC 23 Apr 13 | Test Date 28 May 14
tango View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 7:12pm
Dear All,

Thank you for your responses. I guess there are a couple of details I should've made more clear in my original message. I already landed (in Ontario) several months ago, and by the time I would move to Quebec, I will have been a PR for nearly a year. I already have a health insurance card for Ontario.

My question was specifically about what happens if I go to apply for citizenship after spending my three years of physical presence in Quebec. Am I likely to face problems in my application for citizenship?

I went through the thread kindly provided by polarbear. But, the issues discussed there seem to be concerned with government benefits, language classes, and similar issues. My concern is specifically with any potential problems in applying for citizenship?

Tango

EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 7:19pm
FSW category doesn't have restrictions on where you should be living as a PR, you can live anywhere in Canada and apply for citizenship.
eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by angrypolarbear angrypolarbear wrote:

PRs have full mobility rights to live and work anywhere in Canada, but problems may occur... if you want to access Quebec's "new immigrant" services.

I landed in Ontario in late 2008 and exercised my mobility rights by moving to Quebec in may 2009. I was able to access Quebec "new immigrant" french classes without any problems.

I do not know of any information or evidence suggesting that moving to Quebec creates problems in the citizenship process either. Applying for citizenship from Quebec is the same process as any other province.
Resources for Future Canadians & their Advocates: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by eileen eileen wrote:

I landed in Ontario in late 2008 and exercised my mobility rights by moving to Quebec in may 2009. I was able to access Quebec "new immigrant" french classes without any problems.

I do not know of any information or evidence suggesting that moving to Quebec creates problems in the citizenship process either. Applying for citizenship from Quebec is the same process as any other province.

Do you think it had any influence in the issuance of RQ to you? What do you think about whether or not it might have an impact on how your response to the RQ will be evaluated? whether it could affect being given a file review versus having to wait for a CJ to assess residency?
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

Do you think it had any influence in the issuance of RQ to you?

No.

What do you think about whether or not it might have an impact on how your response to the RQ will be evaluated?

As long as Québec is part of Canada, I do not see why it would. I moved from one province to another. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms establishes that as a PR I have that right. I have not seen anything indicating that this would be a problem.

whether it could affect being given a file review versus having to wait for a CJ to assess residency?

Given the lack of any evidence suggesting that that is the case, let's not over-complicate things for ourselves or look for problems where there are none. In my experience, the federal government, and other provinces, try to steer clear of meddling in Québec politics and programs. Québec is Québec and the federal CIC isn't going to fight their battles for them. Also, federal employees in Quebec (CIC) tend to be politically federalist, rather than souverainistes. So I don't see them interpreting a Charter-sanctioned inter-provincial move as a risk indicator or something to be suspicious of. The CIC doesn't ask whether citizenship applicants have Québec selection certificates or not. I think this is because, for Canadian citizenship, it is immaterial.

Edited by eileen - 30 Apr 2013 at 3:19pm
Resources for Future Canadians & their Advocates: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic