Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Baby(with Canadian father)born in the Philippines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Baby(with Canadian father)born in the Philippines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baby(with Canadian father)born in the Philippines
    Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 1:24pm
Hi everyone!

Is there anyone here who can help me answer my friend's questions... She is a Filipina living in the Philippines who is giving birth this May; her and her husband have been planning to apply for the spouse visa, but since the baby will be born next month, they are wondering if they can include the baby in the PR application when the baby is born. 

The baby will be born Canadian too, as he/she has a Canadian father. They can apply for a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship for the baby in the Philippines but they figured that the process will be too lengthy (up to 14 months) and they can't wait that long.

So what they would like to do now, is get a Philippine passport for the baby (which is a lot quicker than acquiring for proof of Canadian citizenship and Canadian passport), and include the baby in the mother's spouse/PR application. And when the baby is here in Canada, only then will they apply for the Canadian citizenship. 

The problem is, she isn't sure if they are allowed to choose this option, and whether or not it is mandatory that they apply for the proof of Canadian citizenship in the Philippines since the baby will be born there. Or can they apply for that when the baby is in Canada?

They have been doing a lot of research online but so far hasn't found any accurate information yet. Please, anyone who has gone through or is going through this same situation like hers, your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
While being imperfect, we are perfectly made for God's beautiful purpose in our lives. *smiles*
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 6:08pm

Originally posted by ivy ivy wrote:

my friend's questions... She is a Filipina living in the Philippines who is giving birth this May; her and her husband have been planning to apply for the spouse visa, but since the baby will be born next month, they are wondering if they can include the baby in the PR application when the baby is born.

The baby will be born Canadian too, as he/she has a Canadian father. They can apply for a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship for the baby in the Philippines but they figured that the process will be too lengthy (up to 14 months) and they can't wait that long.

So what they would like to do now, is get a Philippine passport for the baby (which is a lot quicker than acquiring for proof of Canadian citizenship and Canadian passport), and include the baby in the mother's spouse/PR application. And when the baby is here in Canada, only then will they apply for the Canadian citizenship.

The problem is, she isn't sure if they are allowed to choose this option, and whether or not it is mandatory that they apply for the proof of Canadian citizenship in the Philippines since the baby will be born there. Or can they apply for that when the baby is in Canada?

They have been doing a lot of research online but so far hasn't found any accurate information yet. Please, anyone who has gone through or is going through this same situation like hers, your help is greatly appreciated.

I have not been through this. But can observe the following:

I assume the child's father was either born in Canada or is a naturalized Canadian citizen. If so, the child is a Canadian and thus cannot be sponsored for PR. (Only Foreign Nationals may apply or be included in an application for PR.)

If the child's father was not born in Canada or not a naturalized Canadian citizen, there are other provisions of law which govern whether or not the child is a Canadian citizen. That is, not all children born abroad to a Canadian citizen parent are necessarily Canadian citizens. This may be of no relevance here, but because not all children born to a Canadian citizen abroad are necessarily Canadian citizens, this should not go unsaid.

In any event, if the child is indeed a Canadian citizen (most likely), then no, the child should not, cannot be included in the sponsorship application.

Others here are probably more familiar with the process for obtaining authorization to travel to Canada for such a child, but I am quite sure there is a process for doing that which should take less than 14 months. I believe the thing to do is to contact CIC directly, probably through the consulate in Manila, and they can explain what you can do, need to do, to bring the child with you when traveling to Canada. Probably a good idea to do this before the child is born even, to be sure of how to go about getting the paperwork necessary to facilate the process.

Moreover, a spousal sponsored PR application for a person from the Philippines is likely to take nearly as long (12 months for 80 percent of applicants plus the month for the sponsor approval step in Mississauga) if not longer than the process for obtaining certificate of citizenship for minor (6 months plus an additional 3 to 4 when applying through consulate in the Philippines, as I read the current processing times).

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
auditt76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auditt76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 12:53pm
Hey,

I am in the process of this right now. We had a baby girl last year Feb, and got married in June. Since then we had our second daughter in again Feb, lol, 1 year and 1 day apart.

I filed for sponsorship for my wife, but since I am a Canadian Citizen, both my daughters had to be filed under the Citizenship route. Even though it takes longer, don't worry because as soon as your wife is approved, the children can get a visa to come with the parents to Canada while the application for their citizenship is processed. And with wait times now on sponsorship, you need to get that form in fast. In your package for the sponsorship just write a letter explaining the details that you filed for Citizenship.

At anytime call the CIC, they were very helpful for this area.

Good luck
aceking1221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceking1221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 9:04am
Hi there auditt76,

I'm also in the same situation but I'm more concerned with getting the permanent residence for my wife. 

We were waiting for our child to be born to apply because we thought it would be easier to get the permanent residence that way. Did we make the right move?

Also, did you have to hire a lawyer to assist you with the sponsorship immigration for your wife? Also, if you dont mind me asking, would you happen to know what the financial requirements for the sponsor are? Do I need to own a property? what income class do I have to be?  I had a consultation with a immigration lawyer and she got me really worried whether or not I will pass as a sponsor... 

Please help us out. I'm quite lost on what we need to do. I don't want our application to be rejected because we didn't meet proper requirements.
struatmarkes234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote struatmarkes234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 8:59am
Hi,
It's a really tough situation because I know that I have a child too, but I think If you call to your country for help in immigration then maybe they will be helping you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic