Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Resident MISSING from Canada for More Than a Year!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Resident MISSING from Canada for More Than a Year!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
shyguycalif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shyguycalif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Resident MISSING from Canada for More Than a Year!
    Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by edmotonresident edmotonresident wrote:

Well, It's true if you are working for a canadian Employer abroad your stay will be count toward the residency requirments for the PR status, however, spending time out of Canada as a self-employed registered in Canada does not count.. Please check this to make sure of the applicable ocnditions.

P.E stands for Professional Engineer, US engineer's designation. Sorry i thought that you are an engineer when you mentioned your position as a consulting project.

edmotonresident,
I do have degree in Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Science), so I am an engineer. I am not sure if this will mean I am a P.E too. But I have never been awarded that status seperately.

Thanks a lot for sending the link. It is immensely helpful.  
=ShyGuyCalif

Edited by shyguycalif - 21 Feb 2010 at 1:11pm
edmotonresident View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmotonresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 7:30pm
Well, It's true if you are working for a canadian Employer abroad your stay will be count toward the residency requirments for the PR status, however, spending time out of Canada as a self-employed registered in Canada does not count.. Please check this to make sure of the applicable ocnditions.

P.E stands for Professional Engineer, US engineer's designation. Sorry i thought that you are an engineer when you mentioned your position as a consulting project.
"Canada, where good people live"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shyguycalif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 7:03pm

If you have declared those goods already when you first landed immigrant here, but have never moved them into Canada, I think you still ahve the right to move them with no custom charge, however, i am not sure if there is a time limit for such declaration.
N.B. I have asked you this question coz i am a P Eng. here and practicing, i think you have a P.E. designation in USA right?

I am not sure what P.E Designation means. I have never heard of it.

Q. One last question, I also read that if I travel for work outside Canada because of my Canadian Employer then, that time spent outside country is also considered against the 730 day qualification of residence in Canada. Is this correct?

If this is the case then I can start my own company and travel as my company's employee to USA because I have most of my client here ? This way I wont get major hit in my salary.

=ShyGuyCalif

Edited by shyguycalif - 19 Feb 2010 at 7:06pm
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmotonresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by shyguycalif shyguycalif wrote:

You onlyneed 730 days of physical residence in Canada out of 5 years (which is the PR term) in order to maintain you PR status.
If i may ask you a question, what filed of engineering you practice?

edmotonresident, I am senior SAP (ERP) implementation consultant. Most of my work involves going to client site and implementing ERP solutions for clients.  

Q. Once I move to canada (before 2 years limit starts), will I be able to move all my stuff still based on my "Goods to follow" list (which was approved when I landed)? Since I already claimed to be resident while travelling/entering several times, would they question me on that?

=ShyGuyCalif

If you have declared those goods already when you first landed immigrant here, but have never moved them into Canada, I think you still ahve the right to move them with no custom charge, however, i am not sure if there is a time limit for such declaration.
N.B. I have asked you this question coz i am a P Eng. here and practicing, i think you have a P.E. designation in USA right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shyguycalif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 6:49pm

You onlyneed 730 days of physical residence in Canada out of 5 years (which is the PR term) in order to maintain you PR status.

edmotonresident, I am senior ERP implementation consultant. Most of my work involves going to client site and implementing ERP solutions for clients. Unfortunately the market in Canada only pays less than half of what I make here (may be its same for all the jobs in canada).

Q. Once I move to canada (before 2 years limit starts), will I be able to move all my stuff still based on my "Goods to follow" list (which was approved when I landed)? Since I already claimed to be resident while travelling/entering several times, would they question me on that?

=ShyGuyCalif

Edited by shyguycalif - 19 Feb 2010 at 6:56pm
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 4:42pm

I became CA permanent resident in July 2008SmileSmile. I travelled to Canada in 2009, for approx. 5 months (4 days every week) on a consulting project representing my USA employer. I was returning back every weekend to my family in USA.

While entering Canada every week, I always entered as a resident using my canadian address on immigration form as my permanent address (to avoid too many questions). I stopped travelling to Canada after 5 months since my project got over Cry.  I had applied and got the SIN Number and Health care during that 5 month timeframe. Clap

My wife and kids who were based in USA with me travelled only once to Canada and also got SIN and health care on my canadian address.Clap

Due to personal reasons, I am not in position to move permanently to canada yet. I am aware I need to live in Canada for 3 years out of 5 year from start of my permanent residency in order to maintain the Canadian PR card.

Q1: What will happen if I now enter Canada with just a little over than 2 years remaining on first 5 year of residency?

Q2: Will my family or I be asked many questions on why I was missing in canada for over a year?  Confused

Please advice...

=ShyGuyCalif

I don't think they would question you when you enter Canada again since you still have over two years to maintain your permanent residency. But now you would have to keep track of the number of days you stay in Canada.
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmotonresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 3:45pm

I became CA permanent resident in July 2008SmileSmile. I travelled to Canada in 2009, for approx. 5 months (4 days every week) on a consulting project representing my USA employer. I was returning back every weekend to my family in USA.

While entering Canada every week, I always entered as a resident using my canadian address on immigration form as my permanent address (to avoid too many questions). I stopped travelling to Canada after 5 months since my project got over Cry.  I had applied and got the SIN Number and Health care during that 5 month timeframe. Clap

My wife and kids who were based in USA with me travelled only once to Canada and also got SIN and health care on my canadian address.Clap

Due to personal reasons, I am not in position to move permanently to canada yet. I am aware I need to live in Canada for 3 years out of 5 year from start of my permanent residency in order to maintain the Canadian PR card.

Q1: What will happen if I now enter Canada with just a little over than 2 years remaining on first 5 year of residency?

Q2: Will my family or I be asked many questions on why I was missing in canada for over a year?  Confused

Please advice...

=ShyGuyCalif

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shyguycalif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 1:03pm

Please advice...

=ShyGuyCalif

Edited by shyguycalif - 19 Feb 2010 at 1:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic