Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Visit Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visiting - Part Time Work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visiting - Part Time Work
    Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 6:18pm
I'm an USA citizen (22 years old), and visiting some friends in Canada this summer (1 or 2 months). I was thinking I might apply for some part-time work while I'm there (~24 hours a week range; I am really just on vacation/visiting) in the service sector very likely (food stand, etc).

I was a little confused on what I need for this type of work before entering Canada? I have been reading the NAFTA visa (I do not think it applies to low-end jobs I'd be shooting for?), and temporary work permits (it seems to state that I need a job offer before entering, which I don't have)?

Is it possible for a usa citizen to apply for a temporary work permit after entering Canada? For example after I get a job offer? Is this what I'd want to do in my case?

Would anyone be able to tell me what type of visa (or if I even need a visa?) for short-term summer-job type work in Canada as an USA citizen visiting?

Many Thanks
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 7:45pm
You definitely need a visa. And no, you don't qualify under NAFTA.

First you'll need a full time job offer from a Canadian employer. That employer will have to obtain an approved LMO. As part of this process the employer will have to prove they advertised the job and were unable to find a Canadian to hire for the role. More details here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

Once the employer has an approved LMO you can then apply for a work permit.

Expect this process to take several months (once you've found an employer). Also expect it to be very difficult to find an employer willing to go through the LMO process.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
DB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 9:41pm
Thanks for the quick reply.

Sounds like it is too much hassle for the small amount of part-time work I'd be looking for. I'll read up on LMO's though. Thanks.
DB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 10:23pm
Sorry for the double post, one more question actually.

I ran across a "Canadian Working Holiday Visa", which almost sounds like what I wanted, but, USA isn't on the list of 40 countries with a "Working Holiday Agreement" with Canada.

If possible I just wanted to confirm that USA don't have any such programs for working in Canada? I thought it weird that english-speaking countries like UK/Australia/New Zealand show up on the list, but not USA.

Thanks

Edited by DB - 15 Apr 2013 at 10:23pm
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 11:25pm
Hi

Originally posted by DB DB wrote:

Sorry for the double post, one more question actually.
I ran across a "Canadian Working Holiday Visa", which almost sounds like what I wanted, but, USA isn't on the list of 40 countries with a "Working Holiday Agreement" with Canada.
If possible I just wanted to confirm that USA don't have any such programs for working in Canada? I thought it weird that english-speaking countries like UK/Australia/New Zealand show up on the list, but not USA.
Thanks

There is one for US students. Google SWAP.
PMM
DB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 1:28pm
Thanks, I'll look into it :)
personalgame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote personalgame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 5:19am
You write is so good. The only thing I can do, only to take over this son to this matter.Your article brings the reader's joy and prosperity of the prepositions.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic