Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Applying for citizenship with an expired passport
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Applying for citizenship with an expired passport

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nt7272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Applying for citizenship with an expired passport
    Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 8:10am
The time has come for my family to apply for citizenship.

When checking the documents, I realized that my kids' passports have already been expired. Since the application asks for a copy of the passport page, I would like to know if our applications will be returned/rejected based on that ground, or if there any requirements that the passport must be valid at the time of application.

Thanks for your information.
tst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by nt7272 nt7272 wrote:

The time has come for my family to apply for citizenship.

When checking the documents, I realized that my kids' passports have already been expired. Since the application asks for a copy of the passport page, I would like to know if our applications will be returned/rejected based on that ground, or if there any requirements that the passport must be valid at the time of application.

Thanks for your information.

Hi nt7272,

I was in the same situation, I applied with 20 days expired passport of my spouse, I called before to call Centre and asked about this, they said it is fine you can apply with expired passport.

Then we renew the passport.
I heard that if you renew your any id before application it is a red flag and you may get RQ, so may be we are luck or I don't know.

We haven't received any inquiry or any RQ yet

Applied-June,24th,2012
Acknowledgement-July 27,2012
In proecss- Nov 25, 2012
SARABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SARABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 3:42am
Hi,
I'm no expert … but friends of mine were RQ'd because of their expired passports although they have never left Canada since landing so if u can renew ur passports before applying I think that would be safer…but honestly nobody knows.
All the best,
Sarah
Applied Feb7th,2012 (Family of 4)
In Process Oct4th,2012
Husband RQ & finger print November 2012
File separated from husband August 2013
Hubby test Oct. 2013
MY test Dec. 2013
Joint oath March 2014

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 3:09pm

Regarding applying with expired passports:

As SARABC suggests, no one here can give a definitive answer to questions like this; in particular, though, the risk of RQ is highly variable, subject to the impact of a great many diverse factors.

I believe, the risk of RQ for you is really dependent on risk factors for the adult applicants far, far more so than for dependent minors.

I am not aware of any specific risk indicator based on expiration of applicant's passport.

tst refers to renewing Identification document before applying, and that is indeed a specific risk indicator listed in the last and only version of the File Requirements Checklist shared here in the forum (obviously this could have been, probably has been, modified since, but it is also just as likely that it remains largely intact and this particular item not modified). However, that is specifically about the identification documents, like a drivers' license, health card, for which a recently issued one potentially indicates the individual recently arrived or returned to Canada (obviously, for many it is simply a renewal, so the risk indicator is a broad net). I doubt this applies to passports.

While, as I said, I am not aware of any specific risk indicator based on expiration of applicant's passport, a general risk factor is rooted in circumstances indicating the potential that an applicant has had or used other travel documents. If there is no hint of travel other than that declared, no hint that an applicant has had or used some other travel document, there is a low risk of RQ (related to this particular aspect). Perhaps an example will illustrate this some: if, for example, there is something in the applicant's history indicating a trip that is not reflected in the declaration of travel (residency calculation), or a trip at a time the passport was expired, CIC may perceive there is the possibility another travel document was used, and that may trigger RQ.

Thus, for another example, the longer the passport has been expired, probably the more CIC may perceive there is a possibility that the individual has had an alternative travel document.

Again, the impact of many, many factors is variable, dependent on a wide, wide range of circumstances and relation to other factors.   

My impression: Unless the dependent minors traveled outside Canada since the passport expiration date, I doubt this is a significant issue; as I said, I believe it will be the risk factors for the adult applicant(s) that really matters.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
JoMay0517 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoMay0517 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 4:39pm
I just received an RQ regarding my son as minor applicant for CDN citizenship. He has expired US passport but never travel abroad since the time we landed here. According to RQ, something about the term of 4 years is not met. As I think of it, it makes sense for the main reason that CIC needed proof that he did not travel outside Canada fro 4 years (prev. 3 yrs). His expired pp issue date was nov., 2006 and expired on 2011 .. We landed here on apr, 2008.. So the fourth yr in Canada was on 2012. Therefore there is a missing 1 year in my son's passport that CIC cannot determine his whereabouts. I should have thought about it before I send all the papers. Now, I'll apply for his pp in US embassy ASAP. 
Mark1552 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark1552 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 5:07pm
If your Son doesn't have a passport I would have thought that was a positive sign that he hadn't travelled abroad.  Just attach a note saying his passport has expired and hasn't been renewed.  School attendance records are most useful for children. 
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 6:49pm

Originally posted by JoMay0517 JoMay0517 wrote:

I just received an RQ regarding my son as minor applicant for CDN citizenship. He has expired US passport but never travel abroad since the time we landed here. According to RQ, something about the term of 4 years is not met. As I think of it, it makes sense for the main reason that CIC needed proof that he did not travel outside Canada fro 4 years (prev. 3 yrs). His expired pp issue date was nov., 2006 and expired on 2011 .. We landed here on apr, 2008.. So the fourth yr in Canada was on 2012. Therefore there is a missing 1 year in my son's passport that CIC cannot determine his whereabouts. I should have thought about it before I send all the papers. Now, I'll apply for his pp in US embassy ASAP.

Once RQ is issued, residency is in question and a full response to the RQ is necessary. Once RQ is issued, the assessment is not at all limited to the reason why the RQ was issued.

I have the nagging sense this may not be RQ but rather a specific document request; I have this sense (vague sense) because you seem to be saying that something in the request addresses a specific issue or document. In contrast, RQ is broad, requiring a lot of information covering any matter at all related to residency, travel, or presence.

We do not see much reporting about minor applicants for citizenship, so beyond what I just said, about the best I can offer is to be sure and read all the instructions carefully and do you best to follow them.

Note: American citizens in Canada do not ordinarily apply for a U.S. passport through the embassy. I suppose it can be done, but the online instructions for Americans living in Canada say to apply by mail, directly to the U.S.

Main thing, if indeed it is the Residence Questionnaire: follow the instructions, be complete and as accurate as possible, and make a concerted effort to provide direct, objective documentation as requested, at the least documentation responsive to the key elements of place of abode, school records, employment (if of an age to be employed), and residency of immediate family, particularly parents (or guardians if applicable).

Originally posted by Mark1552 Mark1552 wrote:

If your Son doesn't have a passport I would have thought that was a positive sign that he hadn't travelled abroad. Just attach a note saying his passport has expired and hasn't been renewed. School attendance records are most useful for children.

School attendance records for dependent minors are indeed useful, but not only useful, they are critical if not mandatory.

While many people have the impression that reporting no travel abroad is the easiest sort of scenario, it readily appears that for some if not most who report no travel, CIC is skeptical. Thus, reporting no travel can actually lead to more, not less scrutiny.

This would be particularly true of an American citizen. CIC is quitely likely, and at least statistically well within the range of reasonable inferences, to expect an American citizen to travel to the U.S. on at least some occasions. An assertion of no travel for an extended time is likely to at least draw attention if not elevated scrutiny, if not skepticism.

In any event, there is little indication that CIC infers there was no travel during a period of time an applicant reports not having a valid passport. Some may feel CIC should make that inference. But the indications are they do not. Indeed, the absence of presenting a valid passport or other travel document covering a period of time within the relevant four years seems to more often lead to concern, if not an outright inference, that the individual had some alternative travel documents that were used for the purpose of international travel.

I suppose some of this seems counter-intuitive. While common-sense usually works quite well when dealing with CIC, there are some nuances of the process in which CIC has its approach, an approach not altogether the same as one would reason it would be, and it is what it is.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic