Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to get Records of Movement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to get Records of Movement
    Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 12:04pm
When I got my RQ I found the dearth of well organized, reliable information to aid RQ recipients added a lot of anxiety to an already difficult process. So, I've been working to compile the best available resources on a website: residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com

I would like to provide instructions and references explaining how to get the required Records of Movement or official files on border crossings from our home countries.

Could you let me know how you got yours? I'm looking for info on any country, but I'm especially hopeful that we can cover the top ten countries of origin for new Canadians:

1. India
2. Philippines
3. China
4. Pakistan
5. USA (I'm American, so I've got the CBP FOIA requests covered, but if someone knows some quicker method, I'd love to hear it)
6. Iran
7. England
8. South Korea
9. Colombia
10. Sri Lanka

Thanks!
Resources for Future Canadians & their Advocates: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com
Andream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 12:19pm
Some applicants mentioned that they did not send the "Records of Movements" with the RQ documents but they sent photocopies of the passport/s with a translation of the entry/exit stamps that are not in English/French. They also sent the CBSA report and photocopies of plane tickets and boarding passes.
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 12:28pm
I think it makes sense to add Mexico to the list.

I guess many PRs travel to Mexico, and in my personal case half of Mexican entries are not stamped at all (which is less of a problem), and the majority of those that are stamped have incorrect dates - sometimes off by a month, sometimes off by as much as two years.

I tried to get Mexican equivalent of CBSA report as a preventive measure, but so far no success.
eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by ski ski wrote:

I think it makes sense to add Mexico to the list.
I tried to get Mexican equivalent of CBSA report as a preventive measure, but so far no success.

How did you request it?

Resources for Future Canadians & their Advocates: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 12:36pm
My first step was to try to find the equivalent of CBSA or CBP in Mexico.

I don't speak much Spanish, so I failed.

Then I contacted Mexican embassy in Ottawa and Mexican ministry of foreign affairs (address for public inquiries), and got no response so far.

It's not a high priority for me, but I'm curious if they have a proper channel at all for that type of inquiries.
Engo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Engo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Andream Andream wrote:

Some applicants mentioned that they did not send the "Records of Movements" with the RQ documents but they sent photocopies of the passport/s with a translation of the entry/exit stamps that are not in English/French. They also sent the CBSA report and photocopies of plane tickets and boarding passes.

Is it okay to send photocopies of passports and plane tickets, and translation of stamps instead of the record of movement?
eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 12:39pm
Ski, I understand your reasoning for searching out the Mexican record of movement, but since the RQ only requires Records of Movement from countries where you have citizenship, you're probably right to not worry about it too much.

Edited by eileen - 04 Apr 2013 at 12:41pm
Glimmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 1:39pm
If anyone knows how to get records of movement for the EU Schengen region, I'd be interested to know.  From what we could determine, Schengen keeps no permanent records of the entries and exits by EU citizens.
kisunja85 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kisunja85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 2:20pm
Glimmer, its true for EU citizens, and I am pretty sure that this is also the case for non-Schengen EU countries (UK, Ireland). Schengen countries do have a database of entries-exits for non-EU citizens, but then, it is not clear if each separate country should be contacted to obtain such records.

Edited by kisunja85 - 04 Apr 2013 at 2:23pm
Glimmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:06am
Originally posted by kisunja85 kisunja85 wrote:

Glimmer, its true for EU citizens, and I am pretty sure that this is also the case for non-Schengen EU countries (UK, Ireland). Schengen countries do have a database of entries-exits for non-EU citizens, but then, it is not clear if each separate country should be contacted to obtain such records.

Thanks, that's what I think too.  I would assume that CIC is aware that EU citizens can't get records of movement for EU countries so I'm not worrying about it too much.  But it would have been nice to have in the face of RQ because it would have fully verified all my spouse's travel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic