Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passport Re-Entry Stamps Question. Pls Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gd.00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passport Re-Entry Stamps Question. Pls Help!
    Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 10:54pm
Hey guys,

I am writing my citizenship test this wednesday at the mississauga location.

I was going through my passport, and realized that for a couple of my trips, for which I traveled to US and back by car, I dont have any stamps for re-entry into Canada. My other trips have re-entry stamps as I traveled by air but for the trips when I entered back into Canada via the border by driving, my stamps are missing.

Do you guys think this will be an issue when the officer checks my paperwork at the citizenship test?

Thanks for the time,

GD
123smike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123smike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 11:35pm
There can be any issue when you meet with the officer and this issue can definitely lead to RQ!!, try getting CBSA letter for your incoming information and also from US border department

Try to tell the officer honestly and keep your finger crossed
gd.00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gd.00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 11:42pm
I know that there is obviously a possibility of getting an RQ but I am trying to find out if anyone has actual experience with this same problem, as this is a very common and issue. And if someone actually ended up with an RQ because of this reason.

Anyone? :)
imanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 1:03am
A friend of mine did her test last april, and another friend just last week. both of them had missing re-entry stamps back from the US in their passport. the officer just believed them and they didnt get an RQ on the test day. (the first one is already a citizen)
mvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 6:51am
No need to get panic as you have enough buffer days and also, most importantly just one missing stamp for re-entry, which you had reported.

The same thing happened in my case and I told the CO and she said that it is fine.

The main problem would be, if the exit/entry stamps on your passport are not reported or matching, which may lead to RQ.

Edited by mvb - 18 Mar 2013 at 6:51am

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 7:13am

Ditto much of what has been said.

By the time of the interview and documents check, CIC has mostly determined the credibility of the applicant's residency declarations. By that point in time CIC is either leaning very much toward issuing RQ, or is not leaning that way.

If CIC is leaning toward issuing RQ, yep, even a minor discrepancy is likely to push things more so in that direction.

The key for the applicant who CIC has, to that point, pretty well given a passing grade, then, is that the applicant and the applicant's documents appear to be consistent with the applicant depicted, and the applicant's declarations, in the file.

Discrepancies can be problematic. Significant discrepancies are likely to cause RQ. How minor discrepancies affect things at that point probably varies, sometimes being more problematic, sometimes no problem at all. As I often say: It depends.

What it depends on is a wide, wide range of factors. I suspect the applicant's demeanor itself is a significant factor. How the applicant responds to seemingly casual questions (do you have a good grocery store near where you live? how is your commute to work? among many, many possibilities) can be a significant factor. And, of course, the overall coherency of the applicant's file makes a difference.

Does a substantial buffer of PP time make a difference? Less than many expect I think. And not for the reason that many think: the effect of a buffer, in case there is a missed trip in one's residency declarations, has more to do with overall impression and not with to what extent the applicant still has more than 1095 days of actual presence. 1095 is the threshold, the hard number. Ten or a hundred more does not change the calculation. What really matters, if there is a discrepancy, like a missed trip, is credibility and whether or not the discrepancy causes CIC to have a concern about the applicant's credibility, about the credibility of the applicant's declarations overall. If a minor discrepancy does not raise questions about the applicant's credibility, not a problem. If the discrepancy leads the CIC officer to have concerns about the applicant's credibility, does not matter if the applicant declared 1419 days of actual presence, a discrepancy inviting credibility concerns is a problem which significantly elevates the risk of RQ.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Nordicgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nordicgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 6:57pm
I had the same issue. One re-entry stamp to Canada was missing. I took with me my bank statement, in which my ATM withdrawals and debit card payments are shown. I was prepared to show the bank statement that would prove that I was in Canada the day following my entry to Canada. I think I even bought something at Canadian Tire the day after my re-entry to Canada. :)

I was never asked anything about the stamps, but I was prepared: I made an exel document of my trips abroad and back, with explanations of what I did on my trips, and took the print-out with me to the test. And I had the bank statement, plus a translation of two Chinese stamps I had in my passport.

Better be prepared than sorry.

Edited by Nordicgirl - 18 Mar 2013 at 6:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic