Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tell me your RQ consequences!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tell me your RQ consequences!
    Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 2:26pm
My letter to the Editor of the Montréal Gazette is being picked up for their Monday Letter of the Day. It will be featured on their website and in print.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/opinion/Letter+Citizenship+applicant+caught+bureaucracy/8083645/story.html

As part of this I have a live radio interview on CJAD 800 with Aaron Rand at 4:30pm on Monday. The clip will be posted on the Gazette website and on CJAD's podcasts. This is a chance for us to communicate the actual harms caused by RQ to the wider public, not just amongst ourselves.

Please msg me your experiences. I want to be able to communicate about the verifiable challenges caused by the RQ. Not hearsay or rumours.

Has anyone been left without a passport from their home country (de facto statelessness) because they have ongoing permanent residence in Canada?

Has anyone been denied promotions because of difficulty and expense traveling to the US because of lack of CDN passport?

Has anyone been unable to get government jobs because of preference for hiring citizens?

Other dire consequences of RQ?

Thanks!
Eileen Finn
http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 4:29pm

Originally posted by Eileen Finn Eileen Finn wrote:

I am one of the approximately 28,000 citizenship applicants per year whom Citizenship and Immigration Canada suspects of fraud. No one has told me what falsehoods I am suspected of . . .

For clarification:

This is misleading. This conflates the issuance of RQ to verify residency with suspicion of fraud. Suspicion of fraud is not the only reason, probably not the more common reason even, for issuing RQ. In fact, there are different hearing types for "residency issues" versus "possible residence fraud" cases.

In particular, RQ can be issued for fairly technical reasons. For example, the C1 risk indicator in the File Requirements Checklist will trigger RQ if the applicant submits, with the application, an ID issued within three months of applying -- as of last summer anyway this applied even if the ID was issued in a renewal. These are just clues CIC utilizes to guide CIC in deciding which applicants will be asked to submit further information and documentation regarding residency, to verify when the applicant actually established residency and the duration such residency was maintained. No suspicion of fraud necessary and not the issue for most RQ'd applicants.   

Among other relatively technical reasons RQ is issued: self-employment (my situation) or unemployment (affects a large number). See File Requirements Checklist triage criteria for others.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
SK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

I am one of the approximately 28,000 citizenship applicants per year whom Citizenship and Immigration Canada suspects of fraud. No one has told me what falsehoods I am suspected of . . .

For clarification:

This is misleading. This conflates the issuance of RQ to verify residency with suspicion of fraud. Suspicion of fraud is not the only reason, probably not the more common reason even, for issuing RQ. In fact, there are different hearing types for "residency issues" versus "possible residence fraud" cases.

In particular, RQ can be issued for fairly technical reasons. For example, the C1 risk indicator in the File Requirements Checklist will trigger RQ if the applicant submits, with the application, an ID issued within three months of applying -- as of last summer anyway this applied even if the ID was issued in a renewal. These are just clues CIC utilizes to guide CIC in deciding which applicants will be asked to submit further information and documentation regarding residency, to verify when the applicant actually established residency and the duration such residency was maintained. No suspicion of fraud necessary and not the issue for most RQ'd applicants.   

Among other relatively technical reasons RQ is issued: self-employment (my situation) or unemployment (affects a large number). See File Requirements Checklist triage criteria for others.

And all these risk indicators are called " risk indicators" becuase ......they trust you and want to get more information to trust you more.....well they are called risk indicators becuase CIC assess that such cases have a higher probability of " FRAUD"..........at the end of of it all all this additional scrutinty is to validate and check the data on your application that the applicant claims to weed out fraudsters..
eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 4:36pm
For clarification:

I understand what you are saying, but I the underlying reason for all these more technical triggers for RQs (ie new ID issued 3 mo. or less before) is suspicion of fraud. Self employment indicates that it would be easy to live elsewhere and thus be fraudulent in your declaration of residency.
RQ2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RQ2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 5:10pm
Might not be able to sponsor my parents if new rule says only citizen can sponsor.
St clair office--Applied June2011--test date Apr 2012--
RQ Dec2012--RQ submitted Jan2013
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 5:58pm
It is not only fraud, CIC also wants to make sure that there are no genuine errors.

Maybe someone doesn't know the law. Maybe someone genuinely applied for citizenship after 100 days of residence thinking they still qualify. CIC must be able to interprete this and rule accordingly.
Spellbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spellbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 7:34pm
The Federal Government prefers citizens. When I arrived in Canada back in 2008, I was applying for various positions at the Federal Governemnt, and they invited me to write a test. Here is an abstract from their e-mail response to me (it was back in 2009, when I was ineligible to apply for citizenship yet):

Dear candidate:
This is further to your application to the above-mentioned selection process.
The persons responsible for the assessment have concluded that you meet the criteria identified for screening. Therefore, I would like to invite you to a written exam to be held:

• Date:
    • Time:

The written exam is designed to assess the following merit criteria:

You will be required to bring the following to the written exam:

• Photo identification;
    • Proof of Canadian Citizenship (original and a photocopy);
    • Secondary school diploma or transcript (original and a photocopy).
So, I had no citizenship (and I still do not have it because of RQ!), and I had to miss the test. That may have been a missed opportunity!
SK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by ski ski wrote:

It is not only fraud, CIC also wants to make sure that there are no genuine errors.

Maybe someone doesn't know the law. Maybe someone genuinely applied for citizenship after 100 days of residence thinking they still qualify. CIC must be able to interprete this and rule accordingly.

And they want to be sure about these errors with select few out of thousands of apps they receive....I am out I can only argue logic....
vefabuyuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vefabuyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

For clarification:

Disregard this and share with eileen your experiences

Edited by vefabuyuk - 14 Mar 2013 at 8:58pm
From the Phillipines. In Canada since 2003. Architect. Landed in 2008 March.
Glimmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 10:34pm
I have another way the delay in citizenship is affecting us.   My spouse's mother tongue is French but as a non-citizen he does not have French language education rights under the Constitution to enrol our child in a French public school. If he was a citizen he would have a right to do the enrollment no questions asked and we would not have to go through a special permission process. It caused us a lot of worry since we had hoped he would already be a citizen by now or at least before school begins in September.  The school in our neighbourhood is very full and priority goes to those with rights to enrol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic