Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Visit Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visitor Visa - Follow the website or ...?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visitor Visa - Follow the website or ...?
    Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 10:52pm
I am in the process of applying a visitor visa for my mom (in India) and my inlaws (in Dubai) for a short visit to Toronto. I have already done the paperwork for my mom and thats when I came to this piece of very interesting information which I wanted to share with you and get your thoughts on it. Because I am quite confused by this.

Typically when you apply for a visitor visa, you tend to follow the guidelines specified at the CIC website and prep your documentation based on that. However, I came to know that a prallel track exist, and that many have followed it to process visitor visas for their folks !!! What they do is as follow.

There is a standard format of an signed affidavit which basically states
  • your intention to bring your parents\relatives\friends over to Canada for a visit
  • that you are a pr
  • that you own a home and that the people who are coming would be staying with you
  • and that the visitors would return after the visit
  • and that you have a job and files tax properly

and you attach documentation to support all this. Then a notary signes and puts a stamp on it. You simply send this documentation to your folks and they submit it along with their filled application.

My questions are as follow.

1. When you submit your documentation, does CIC require all copies to be notarized? The document check list states, send only copies and not originals, but it doesnt say notarized or not.

2. Has anyone followed the affidavit track to get visitor visa done?

3. Has anyone done visitor visa processing from India or Duabi recently? If yes, would you be kind enough to narrate your process and experience?

Thanks in advance for all your input.
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 12:29am
Originally posted by sarin_j sarin_j wrote:

There is a standard format of an signed affidavit which basically states

• your intention to bring your parents\relatives\friends over to Canada for a visit

• that you are a pr

• that you own a home and that the people who are coming would be staying with you

• and that the visitors would return after the visit

• and that you have a job and files tax properly

and you attach documentation to support all this. Then a notary signes and puts a stamp on it. You simply send this documentation to your folks and they submit it along with their filled application.

My questions are as follow.

1. When you submit your documentation, does CIC require all copies to be notarized? The document check list states, send only copies and not originals, but it doesnt say notarized or not.

All of the above is in one notarized undertaking. Attach copies of your Tax return and legal status in Canada

2. Has anyone followed the affidavit track to get visitor visa done?
I submitted the original affidavit or notarized undertaking. I kept a copy

3. Has anyone done visitor visa processing from India or Duabi recently? If yes, would you be kind enough to narrate your process and experience?

Thanks in advance for all your input.

I am not from the above region though.
sarin_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 11:06am
thanks job_seeker. So what is the difference between the affidavit way and method illustrated at the CIC website (fill the forms, attach copies etc.)?

And my first question was with reference to NOT following the affidavit approach, but rather the way stated by CIC. Like you fill the forms, type up the invitation and attach the copies. When you do that do you need to have the copies notarized?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 10:57pm

thanks job_seeker. So what is the difference between the affidavit way and method illustrated at the CIC website (fill the forms, attach copies etc.)?

And my first question was with reference to NOT following the affidavit approach, but rather the way stated by CIC. Like you fill the forms, type up the invitation and attach the copies. When you do that do you need to have the copies notarized?

No difference really. The notarized undertaking is just part of the documents you submit. Fill up the forms as per the guides, get the documents asked for in the checklist, and instead of an invitation, you submit the undertaking, and of course don't forget the fee (I think you attach the receipt). Not all documents need to be notarized.
sarin_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 4:01am

job_seeker, I really appreciate your valuable input. I always thought these two methods were entirely different. Thanks for clarifying that they are really not.

Call me a cheapster, but my thinking was something like this. If you are filling the forms by yourself, then why do you need a notary, unless ofcourse you need to notarize every copy of the documentation? Now if the copies of the documentation that you submit along with the forms need not be notarized, then I would rather go that route. But if you need to notarize everycopy, then the best option is to go with the affidavit, because then you pay one fee to get everything notarized.

I would assume you need to notarize the copies of documentation - like PR Card copy, property tax copy etc. - if you do everything by yourself (like fill the forms etc.).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 8:52am

job_seeker, I really appreciate your valuable input. I always thought these two methods were entirely different. Thanks for clarifying that they are really not.

Call me a cheapster, but my thinking was something like this. If you are filling the forms by yourself, then why do you need a notary, unless ofcourse you need to notarize every copy of the documentation? Now if the copies of the documentation that you submit along with the forms need not be notarized, then I would rather go that route. But if you need to notarize everycopy, then the best option is to go with the affidavit, because then you pay one fee to get everything notarized.

I would assume you need to notarize the copies of documentation - like PR Card copy, property tax copy etc. - if you do everything by yourself (like fill the forms etc.).

Not every document. Only the statement of undertaking so you'll be held liable/responsible for them the entire time they (the people you are inviting) are in Canada.

Note that all these statements:

* your intention to bring your parents\relatives\friends over to Canada for a visit
    * that you are a pr
    * that you own a home and that the people who are coming would be staying with you
    * and that the visitors would return after the visit
    * and that you have a job and files tax properly

are in one form/affidavit. No need to notarize PR Card copy, property tax copy etc. You can do everything on your own, except the affidavit/undertaking of responsibility (but you can prepare it ahead of time and you pay cheaper)

sarin_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 8:41pm
job_seeker, got it now. You prep the forms yourself, then you need to notarize the entire document copies. Do the affidavit, and its just one notarization and you are done. Thanks for the input again. This helped greatly in clarifying a lot of things. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 10:31pm

job_seeker, got it now. You prep the forms yourself, then you need to notarize the entire document copies. Do the affidavit, and its just one notarization and you are done. Thanks for the input again. This helped greatly in clarifying a lot of things. :)

Great!!! All the best on your application
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic