Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - LMO/Work Permit Ext vs Applying for PR under CEC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LMO/Work Permit Ext vs Applying for PR under CEC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmehta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LMO/Work Permit Ext vs Applying for PR under CEC
    Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 6:56pm
Hi All,

I would appreciate some guidance on the following matters :

1. When to apply for LMO ?

I am currently working in Toronto on my PGWP. The position is a highly skilled technical position in an IT company.

The PGWP expires in Sept 2013.
I have not applied for PNP.

When exactly should I request the employer to submit an application for LMO? In other words, how long does it take the LMO to be processed (considering I then have to apply for an extension of my work permit?)

2. Having completed 1 year of work experience, in August 2013, would it be possible for me to apply directly for PR under CEC, instead of going through the LMO process?
As far as i know, you can still work as long as I have applied for PR. Is that correct? or would I still have to apply for LMO before I can apply for PR??... Shocked

Kindly advise.

Regards,
Manasi

pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 11:21pm
Hi

Originally posted by mmehta mmehta wrote:

Hi All,
I would appreciate some guidance on the following matters :
1. When to apply for LMO ?
I am currently working in Toronto on my PGWP. The position is a highly skilled technical position in an IT company.
The PGWP expires in Sept 2013.
I have not applied for PNP.
When exactly should I request the employer to submit an application for LMO? In other words, how long does it take the LMO to be processed (considering I then have to apply for an extension of my work permit?)
2. Having completed 1 year of work experience, in August 2013, would it be possible for me to apply directly for PR under CEC, instead of going through the LMO process?
As far as i know, you can still work as long as I have applied for PR. Is that correct? or would I still have to apply for LMO before I can apply for PR??... Shocked
Kindly advise.
Regards,
Manasi

1. The LMO would take about 8-16 weeks, as you are on a PGWP, the employer doesn't have to advertise the position.
2. No, if you didn't get a new work permit, even if you applied for PR you don't get implied status. You either have to have a new work permit to continue working or apply to remain as a visitor.
PMM
mmehta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmehta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 2:09am
Thanks PMM .. 

About (2), can you clarify 'apply to remain as a visitor'?

Also, I am thinking of applying for PNP ( I know.. I am trying all possibilities to be able to stay here .. :) )

- I am aware I have to show proof of residence in Ontario for past one year.
Now I've stayed in Toronto, since my arrival in Canada in Sept 2011.
I've stayed (still am) with my uncle's family here without paying any rent or insurance of any sort.
Nor do I have any phone bill that goes way back one year (I bought my cell phone only in August 2012.) .. 

I do have paper bank statements since Sept 2011, addressed to me.

Do those count as proof for residence as well as  proof of funds?

If not, is there any other way I can show one year residence?

Kindly advise.

Thanks,
Manasi.
parthpatel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parthpatel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 11:21pm
Hii,

1. I would suggest to apply for LMO a good 4 months before the TWP expires. Ask your employer by the end of April to file it for you. (It will not harm if you ask HR manager to do that right now.)

2. Its better to get a positive approved LMO.
For the application of PR under CEC we need 1 year of work experience and the present status of the applicant must remain valid until he/she gets the results of PR application. Now, since 1 year of work permit, we need to extend the same and the extension process will require the LMO by HRSDC.

I guess, we are in the same boat. I came to Canada in late Aug'11 on a student visa. It was a post-grad program and hence I got a 1 year PGWP. I am employed in IT as a systems engineer with a reputed broadcast engineering company. Its a permanent position. I applied LMO under high skilled workers in late Jan'13 and got a positive approved LMO today in the morning. (Hence I was searching around this website :) )

Regarding the proof of residence-- bank statements/credit card bills will take priority over phone bill, so no issues in your case. Diving license is a proof too. Pay-stub is also a strong proof of residence. These are the things, I am going to use..(I was surprised to read this post as there's a lot in common. I live in Toronto since I landed here-- at my maternal aunt's place!! )

Let's be in touch, I'm communicating with my company's lawyer regarding the same.
gelcis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gelcis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 3:47pm
---- Hi.... 
I am working under live in caregiver program and my work permit will expire o  July 27 2013 aftet 24 months contract..
it saids that after completing 24months in LCP I can apply for OWP and Pr. but my question do I need to apply for extensio  contract before applying the OWp &  PR. or after 24 months can I apply directly with Owp since I will stay with the same employer.... Please advise the right procedure on what to after conpleting the 24months contract under LCP.
thank you
mmehta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmehta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 1:15am
@ParthPatel : ..Hey thnks a lot for the response. Yea I would be talking to my employer abt the LMO soon... just curious, are there any good links you can share wid me regarding the LMO, so that I can try and make the process easier for the HR person? ... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parthpatel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 9:59pm
@ gelcis
Hi,
Since you have 3 months until your WP expires, it is advisable that you apply for extension.

Cheers!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parthpatel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:05pm
@ MMehta
Hey! I hope you have already progressed a lot in making your stay permanent in canada.. :)

I hope this will help--

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eforms/forms/hrsdc-emp5517(2013-04-006)e.pdf

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parthpatel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 10:08pm
@migrant
Apart from your advertising intention here, it would be better if we remain on the positive side!
If the applicant is genuine and deserving, then HRSDC is more than willing to approve a positive LMO.
I got mine approved recently and know more than enough people who are in the same boat.
mmehta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmehta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 5:45pm
Hi All..

pleased to inform that I have received my PNP nomination!! Big smile .... thanks for all your guidance!

Has anyone applied for extension of work permit based on the nomination? If so, could you please advise the steps for that?

If I am not wrong, we can do it online through the CIC portal, but just want to make sure..

Thanks a lot in advance... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic