Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arriving to Canada during PR application

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dominic1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arriving to Canada during PR application
    Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 5:19am
Hi There,

I am sponsoring my Swedish wife for permanent residency. Together we have a 3.5 year old son who is Canadian through birth to me.

It is taking us much longer than expected to prepare the mountains of paper they require, so we haven't yet sent the applications. These should be ready to send within a few days from now, February 2013, and according to the processing times, should be approved within 11 months.

Does anyone know how it will be for us to arrive to Canada while the process is still underway? Our plan is to make the move to Vancouver at the end of June this year. We have a home to go to, and I have savings enough to support the family, and again, both my son and I are Canadians - only my wife will still be in the state of "processing"

I cannot find relevant info for this particular situation on the CIC pages, can anyone help me out?

computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 2:48pm
Swedish citizens are visa exempt, so she is unlikely to have any problems.  Ideally, you want to submit the application by next month so you have sponsorship approval before you come to Canada - being able to show the sponsor approval letter will assuage any concerns a BSO might have typically.

You should make clear she is coming to visit while the process is underway and she will either apply for an extension or return to Sweden at the end of her six months (or however long the border officer gives her) - indeed, it would be good to have a return ticket to Sweden in hand (nothing says it cannot be a refundable ticket, mind you... but a ticket shows she is serious about abiding by the rules.)

Good luck.

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
Dominic1984 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dominic1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 3:02pm
Thanks for the helpful info computergeek, we have indeed bought return tickets for 5.75 months after our arrival. We're scrambling to get the applications out in time!

I will measure my words when we enter the country. In our minds it's a move -a big event for us as a family- but we'll be sure to play it down.

Funnily enough return airline tickets were far cheaper than one-ways, so we have the return dates though hopefully we won't be needing them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic