Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News in Toronto Star

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: News in Toronto Star
    Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 8:13am
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1319286--immigration-backlog-anti-fraud-measures-add-years-to-citizenship-process
ready_to_apply View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ready_to_apply Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 8:39am
 I saw this today in my Toronto Star :)
beach247 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beach247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 8:51am
Wael and Goli, you both made the news!!!  Handshake

Edited by beach247 - 24 Jan 2013 at 10:55am
Sent - Oct 17, 2011 | Recvd - Oct 20, 2011 | ECAS - Nov 18, 2011 | Letter - Nov 16, 2011 | In Process - Apr 24, 2012 | Test - Nov 27, 2012 | Oath - Feb 15, 2013
Mary Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 9:19am
Originally posted by beach247 beach247 wrote:

Wael, you made the news!!!  Handshake

Hey Hey................Are we all playing our part?
Goli/Wael congrats......will keep on twitting, i am circulating this article massively:)

I urge other applicants also Citizenship delay or RQ'ed please comes and join us, Mr.Kenny is responding, we are asking for town meeting....

STEP UP

Edited by Mary Chad - 24 Jan 2013 at 9:33am
venky_ms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venky_ms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 9:34am
I am also a victim of RQ..  I recently have written a letter to my MP ( conservative ). I havent heard back from her yet.
How can we get our voice heard?
Rqcadet View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rqcadet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 10:06am

I am so happy to see this article.I am at loss of words for the happiness. Atlast we are getting heard somewhere. Just the beginning but for sure we will see the light at the end of the dark tunnel.

Congrats Wael & Goli.

Come on the rest of you start twittering atleast!!!!!!
mightyman View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 10:37am
Originally posted by venky_ms venky_ms wrote:

I am also a victim of RQ..  I recently have written a letter to my MP ( conservative ). I havent heard back from her yet.
How can we get our voice heard?

The best way to get your voice heard is to get your story out not only to Canadian media but also to foreign media in your home country, such as China, India, etc. First nations people got Harper's attention only after they appeared on Iranian Press TV and al jazeera. All Canadian media have refused to run their stories until they appear on foreign TV, embarrassing Harper's government. 
mightyman View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 10:47am
Please contact Al Jazeera, and ask them if they are interested in your story. Al Jazeera is known for running stories like this. Email them at [email protected] or submit it here.
Wael55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wael55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 10:56am

Harper Conservatives leave new immigrants in citizenship limbo

http://www.liberal.ca/newsroom/blog/harper-conservatives-leave-new-immigrants-in-citizenship-limbo/

With over 300,000 permanent residents sitting in a Conservative-created backlog waiting for their Canadian citizenship, it is clear the responsible minister, Jason Kenney, cares more about photo ops and his public image than he does about improving the immigration system and managing his own department.

In 2005, the former Liberal government invested $69 million to specifically improve citizenship processing times towards an average of 12 months for a grant of citizenship and four months for a proof of citizenship. We successfully proved that improvements in processing applications are possible.

Since the Conservatives took office in 2006, the processing period to acquire citizenship is now approaching two years for the average applicant and can take four to six years if a proof of residency or hearing is required. Permanent residents who pay their taxes in Canada are unfairly denied the right to vote because Minister Kenney cannot get his priorities straight and ensure his department is run effectively.

A few days ago on January 15, Liberal Multiculturalism critic Jim Karygiannis and I held a press conference calling on the Minister to address the dismal citizenship processing times that have become endemic on his watch. We requested that without delay he provide his department with the necessary resources to efficiently handle these applications.

And while Jason Kenney’s office claimed to the press that we got the numbers wrong, recently released internal documents from Citizenship and Immigration Canada reveal that in 2012 only 2.9% of fully eligible permanent residents obtained their citizenship. This is an astounding drop from the rate of 76% in 2005 under the Liberals.

A few days later, the Minister tried again to explain away the Harper government’s dramatic increase in backlog and processing times. This time though, he blamed the situation on his department having fewer resources to process more permanent residents – a direct result of the deep budget cuts passed solely by the Conservatives.

The truth of the matter is that Jason Kenney consistently manipulates and distorts immigration issues to give false impressions, however absurd his excuses may appear. I would challenge the Minister to face me in a public forum anywhere in Canada and at his preferred time. I will wait for him to accept my offer and prove he is accountable to all Canadians

SuperDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 10:59am
it's a good ariticle however I never liked Toronto Star personally because their views on things and its reader community is mostly leaning to the right....the comment section of this article comfirms that again....these people didn't even finish reading the whole ariticle and started posting nonsense...one says" we need to understand Canadian citizenship is more than a couple of forms...."   They don't even know the application process because they never needed to....we have done way more than just filling up a couple of forms....stupidity just flies out of these people's mouths if the topic doesn't affect their lives...sad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic