Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New CIC Online Application for TRV (CPP-O)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foofighterz11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New CIC Online Application for TRV (CPP-O)
    Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 3:41pm

Hello Everyone,

I just completed the online CIC TRV application for my wife and myself. We used the instructions here to do so,

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/cpp-o-apply.asp

Both of us are in Canada and have renewed work permits but our TRV's have expired along with our previous work permits. I used the online system rather than by mail, since it looks like it shaves 2 days off the processing time,

New temporary resident visa

(For valid Study or Work Permit holders ONLY)   16 days                 January 2, 2013                 14 days                 January 4, 2013

This is from,

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

Also we (my wife and I) had to apply separately as you cannot apply together for TRV, the online method does not allow this. However I confirmed with the call center that I can mail the passports together to the Ottawa office once the processing is completed and I am notified by e-mail to mail the passports. I assume that is how it works, although the person at the call center seemed to be in a bigger hurry to get me off the phone than to actually answer my questions, so this information is dubious at best. Has anyone here actually finished this process?

1. I would like to know the following, approx. how long after your application was submitted using the online process, does the Ottawa office request your passport to be mailed?

2. Can we overnight the passports and include a prepaid envelope for them to overnight the passports back to you?

3. Is it possible that the passports are not required and that the Ottawa office will mail you the visa counterfoils that you will affix yourself I know that this seems silly, but the thought did occur to me after I read on the CIC website that the advantage of the online application is you save on mailing documents,

"As of December 15, 2012, you may complete and submit your application online. Using our online services is quick and easy. The system guides and assists you while you complete your application, thus reducing errors that can cause additional processing delays. Applying online saves you time and money since there is no cost to mail your forms and documents."

from,

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Sherry9288 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry9288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 1:47am
Hi there,

I submitted my TRV application online on Jan. 15, 2013. It took about 14 business days to process my application, which matches the estimated processing time on CIC website. I received a message indicating that CIC requires my original passport. Please read this message very carefully, as it tells you how to mail your passport.

Basically, you can use private courier to mail your passport to the office in Ottawa. However, you MUST include a return prepaid Xpresspost envelope (Canada Post) in your package. If you do not include a return prepaid envelope or if you use private courier's prepaid envelope, the Ottawa office would use regular mail to return your passport. 

I did not notice that they only accept a return prepaid Xpresspost envelope until I sent my passport and a FedEx prepaid envelope to Ottawa. So... I have to wait for Canada Post's regular mail, which approximately takes about 4 business days for national delivery. 

Hope those information clarifies your questions. Good luck!
foofighterz11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foofighterz11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 11:11am
Hi Sherry9288,

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to share your experience. This really gives me some hope. I have a flight out on February 14th and am really nervous at this time. My submission went through on January 22nd. With the new processing time of 16 days (per the latest update on the CIC website), I should get passport requests for my wife and I by tomorrow or day after at the latest. Keeping our fingers crossed. We will overnight the passports the same day and include Xpresspost return envelopes (I guess that is a 2 day service?).

Just curious on which day did you receive the Passport request? Feb 1st or before that?

Again thank you so much for your post this gives me a lot of hope, I had not heard back from a single person with a successful online application, so thanks again. Hope you get your passport back soon! Good luck!
Sherry9288 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry9288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 10:35pm
Hi foofighterz11,

I am glad that my experience helped. I received the passport request on Feb 1st, which is the 14th day. 

Yes, Xpresspost is a 2-business-day guaranteed service, whereas the regular mail is a 4-business-day service for national delivery. 

I really hope I can get my passport returned by tomorrow as I plan to travel this Friday. Anyways, good luck with you and your wife's application!

newplayerj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newplayerj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Sherry9288 Sherry9288 wrote:

Hi there,

I submitted my TRV application online on Jan. 15, 2013. It took about 14 business days to process my application, which matches the estimated processing time on CIC website. I received a message indicating that CIC requires my original passport. Please read this message very carefully, as it tells you how to mail your passport.

Basically, you can use private courier to mail your passport to the office in Ottawa. However, you MUST include a return prepaid Xpresspost envelope (Canada Post) in your package. If you do not include a return prepaid envelope or if you use private courier's prepaid envelope, the Ottawa office would use regular mail to return your passport. 

I did not notice that they only accept a return prepaid Xpresspost envelope until I sent my passport and a FedEx prepaid envelope to Ottawa. So... I have to wait for Canada Post's regular mail, which approximately takes about 4 business days for national delivery. 

Hope those information clarifies your questions. Good luck!

Hi Sherry9288,

Would you let me know how long it took to get your TRV from the day you mailed your passport to CIC till you received it.

I got the passport request on the 15th November and I maied my passport to CIC the same day using Xpresspost and I have prepaied envelope of Xpressport with my mail. I thought it won't take much time to get my passport back, however, it's been nearly two weeks and I still don't see a sign of my passport getting back.

I began to a bit worried coz I was planning on travelling by the end of next week - flight tickes are already booked.

Hope you may see this and give me a reply.

Thanks in advance
StefXXX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StefXXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 10:53am
HI All,
This might be a stupid question but i really need to know. 
So, does the processing times started when you get the pdf letter from cic or does it starts when the website says "working on application submitted on"?

My issue is that i submitted an application as a student permit holder on june 2nd. Till now i haven't receive any update from cic since they send me the pdf letter inn the same day. I need to travel back home on the 23rd of July.

Is it a lost cause. should i cancel my flight?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic