Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Miscellaneous > Comments or Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Issues with posts in Citizenship forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wael55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Issues with posts in Citizenship forum
    Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 12:44pm
Why would an admin delete my thread titled "Twitter conversation between Mr. Kenney and I" ?
polarbear View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 12:50pm
My thread was also deleted yesterday Angry

We did not post anything offensive.

There is no good reason why our threads should get deleted.

Angry

Edited by polarbear - 21 Jan 2013 at 12:51pm
edmonton2011 View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmonton2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 12:52pm
Timeline spreadsheet

Rec'd: Sep 01, '11
In proc: Jan 24, '12
Test: Apr 25, '13
Oath: Jul 1, '13
Wael55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wael55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by edmonton2011 edmonton2011 wrote:

Wael, I think your post was moved here:

makes sense...I will post additional tweets on the thread you mentioned edmonton. THX pal!
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 2:33pm
Another sidebar: I also moved some recent posts to a topic in another forum for making comments and suggestions, these particular posts moved to Issues with posts in Citizenship forum topic.

I suppose that more than a few who participate in this conference/forum regarding Citizenship in particular are not much familiar with the rest of the site, and so may not be aware that there is a separate forum for discussing the way the forums are managed.

There is a separate conference, for example, for making complaints about abusive posts.

Similarly, another for raising questions or such about spam posts.

And a more general conference for making comments or suggestions.

So, for example, if someone thinks their post has been deleted or moved or such inappropriately, the place to bring that up is in that conference.

Again, I am asking for some help in this regard. I do not have the time to substantively monitor new topics, let alone new posts, so it is not as if I can reasonably moderate on that level. It is far, far better if participants here value the site and help keep it useful through self-enforcement.

Again, I have been doing a little of this in the last couple days more or less as a reminder and for illustrative purposes. I do not have the time to do this with any sustained regularity.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
vefabuyuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vefabuyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 5:27pm
Well, just so that he wont be one, I should appear to be of the same opinion of him.

Ladies and gentleman,

I think CIC is doing its best to process the applications. There is nothing intentional against applicants. Contacting MPs or media is not gonna help at all. Just wait 3 (to qualify)+2 (for routine application)+4( for RQ processing)+ 1 (for judge)+10 year  in total and you shall all be ciizens. Patience is a virtue :) I am sure "well qualified applicants" shouldnt take 48 months. Maybe 47 months because CIC has internal memos. CIC is working really hard. Please dont make their ust hard than it is.
From the Phillipines. In Canada since 2003. Architect. Landed in 2008 March.
mightyman View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by vefabuyuk vefabuyuk wrote:

Well, just so that he wont be one, I should appear to be of the same opinion of him.

Ladies and gentleman,

I think CIC is doing its best to process the applications. There is nothing intentional against applicants. Contacting MPs or media is not gonna help at all. Just wait 3 (to qualify)+2 (for routine application)+4( for RQ processing)+ 1 (for judge)+10 year  in total and you shall all be ciizens. Patience is a virtue :) I am sure "well qualified applicants" shouldnt take 48 months. Maybe 47 months because CIC has internal memos. CIC is working really hard. Please dont make their ust hard than it is.

I honestly don't know what dpenabil's opinion is, because I can't read most of his posts. My eyes get tired and I don't have the patience. If you have the patience to read all his never-ending posts, I am sure you can easily wait for your citizenship for three or four yrs!
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 12:22pm

For the Citizenship Forum:

Notice: New, redundant collateral topics will be DELETED.

Any new topics addressing collateral subjects for which there is an existing topic will not be locked. They will be DELETED. All posts in such a topic will thus be LOST.

Obviously there will be a lot of flexibility in this regard. This is not intended to affect new users who are creating a topic to post a query directly about some aspect of Canadian Citizenship (remember this forum is about citizenship, not just grants of citizenshp, let alone just applications for a grant of citizenship); I will not delete such new topics. Indeed, I will distinguish between new participants (giving lots of slack) and regular users (who I will expect to know better and to behave better and if they don't I will assume their intent is to deliberately disrupt the forum, with predictable results) and generally I will not be draconian in how I go about this.

You can help. Please do.

I would appreciate the cooperation of participants here, and could really use some help.

If a new topic is posted that is about a subject that is already covered, please, please, post only a link or the url to the topic where it is already covered, with perhaps a note stating that response is posted in that already existing topic. Thus, any response to the post in the new topic could be posted in the already existing topic following a quote of the post in the newly created topic.

I am not asking that this be done exclusively. And, actually if this was done fairly regularly relative to just collateral subjects, that would really help keep the list of topics better organized.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

akella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 12:34am
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

Wae155:
I moved the above post to this topic.

You can move it to another topic you think is a better fit. There are already numerous topics for news articles, stories about CIC policy including delays and so on. Particularly since this particular story is not at all about citizenship, a new and separate topic is not warranted.

I do not have time to do this every time someone creates a new topic that should be posted in an existing topic, so I hope you and others can follow this example and will help the forum in this way. Thanks.

Also note: This appears to be a copy of the complete article. Preferred approach is to summarize with partial quotation, with link or url to source, rather than copying and posting the entirety of copyrighted material.

Not to challenge the mods, but... there is no real harm in having separate topics for articles & such.  This allows them to get their share of attention & comments and then fade away (by going from the main screen) when the time comes.

Posting in the mainstream topic (like "RQ discussions") comes with the challenge of the post going to the (N minus XX) page of extra-long conversation, where it is likely to stay unnoticed by many casual visitors to the forum.  Even though I personally try to read everything new on this forum, I may accidentally skip post X in a few dozen of new posts added to a particular thread.  New topic, however, is very likely to get noticed - as it stands out.

Edit: important requirement, though, for this new topic - it must have a sensible title

Edited by akella - 28 Jan 2013 at 12:35am
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 11:28am

Quote akella:
Quote Not to challenge the mods, but... there is no real harm in having separate topics for articles & such. This allows them to get their share of attention & comments and then fade away (by going from the main screen) when the time comes.

There is, indeed, no "real harm" done. Same for the dozens of topics I delete almost every day which are blatant spam. They too would fade away.

But not only is the unnecessary proliferation of topics disrupting, for those who are trying to find information already shared in the forum, the ever-increasing number of topics, particularly those which are about matters already discussed, make it more difficult to find pertinent information.

The trend lately is well-apparent, and I am trying to stem that trend, trying to keep discussions in the forum from devolving into a totally disorganized state.

Quote akella:
Quote Posting in the mainstream topic (like "RQ discussions") comes with the challenge of the post going to the (N minus XX) page of extra-long conversation, where it is likely to stay unnoticed by many casual visitors to the forum.

This example is not on point. RQ discussions is, indeed, a general topic. There are, however, numerous other topics about more specific RQ related subjects. I already get complaints that there are too many RQ topics and discussions.

There are, indeed, already numerous redundant RQ related topics, at least three related specifically to leaving Canada after applying for example.

In the meantime, RQ is directly related to Canadian Citizenship, it is a process some applicants for a grant of citizenship are subjected to.

I am not suggesting an anal adherence to using existing topics. I am trying to stem the tide of proliferating redundant topics. How many "news" topics should there be for example?

Quote akella:
Quote Even though I personally try to read everything new on this forum, I may accidentally skip post X in a few dozen of new posts added to a particular thread. New topic, however, is very likely to get noticed - as it stands out.

Not sure what your point is or what to offer in this regard. I am sure I miss many posts. I am always skeptical of anyone who claims to have an exhaustive recall of posts in the forum. It is up to each individual how much they want to follow discussions in the forum.

Again, for example, how many "news" topics should there be? How many topics about twitter/tweeting? (There were three or four started in just the last little while.) How many topics about organizing an action plan? How many about leaving Canada after applying?

Ordinarily I do not have time to explain much.

I am making an effort now in hopes of encouraging some cooperation, some assistance.

Without doing an exact count, there are now somewhere around one thousand and six hundred topics in the Canadian Citizenship forum.

I do not expect participants to be anal about finding an existing topic. I am just hoping that regular users make an effort to help keep the forum better organized and discussions on topic. Part of why this has loomed larger lately is, indeed, because the site is currently under attack from spam on a scale I have not seen here in years, and in conjunction with that there has been an extensive pattern of posting which is either abusive or disruptive. It is not always easy to identify those whose purpose is not sincere and who are deliberately disruptive.

In regards to the latter: Reminder: complaints about abusive posts should be posted in the forum specifically for reporting abuse, in a new topic there with the abusive poster's user name in the topic title. I receive a steady stream of complaints through email, occasionally PMs, but almost never see anyone following the site's guidelines for making the complaint in the abusive posts forum, which is a sub-forum under the Comments or Suggestions forum.

Regarding spam: no need to report blatant, obvious spam, unless it remains for more than three or four days. Blatant spam is obvious and I address it as soon as the next time I log into the site. Avoid clicking on a topic that is obvious spam, and absolutely avoid clicking on any spam links.

Additional reminders:

I do not have time to monitor this stuff anywhere near uniformly or consistently. My recent efforts are mostly in the vein of reminder and example, and I am really, really hoping that those who use this forum regularly will help me in this regard.

Also note that when I do deal with this stuff, if and when I have time (I often do not, thus the inconsistency), ordinarily I will simply move posts or lock topics that drift way off-subject, or I will outright delete topics that contain posts that should be posted in an existing topic. No warning may be given (again, no time). So, please be aware that posts could be moved or even deleted, so for those who want their posts to remain please make an effort to post in an appropriate, existing topic if there is a topic on that subject. This is particularly true for collateral subject matter, not directly about citizenship itself or procedures regarding proof of citizenship, or grants of citizenship.

Note, for example, that the post that triggered this particular discussion, by Wael55, for example, is not about citizenship at all, in addition to being a wholesale copy of copyrighted material which is inappropriate. I should have simply deleted the post and topic. Ordinarily that is what I would do. But I am trying to get those participants here, those who appreciate the opportunity to discussion these matters here, to help and do better without any moderating or monitoring.

The post by Wael55 also brings up the copying of material (or using photos) from another source: please be aware of copyright, and do not post large portions (let alone the entirety) of copyrighted material -- paraphrase, summarize, use partial quotes, the typical lawful way of referring to someone else's writing, photos, or other intellectual property.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic