Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Miscellaneous > Comments or Suggestions > Spam Posts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Automatic e-CAS Tracker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmotonresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Automatic e-CAS Tracker
    Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 7:23pm
The author of this thread is marketing his own private domain traker "for e-cas updating services".
Some members are receiving e-mail notifications from that tracker without being registerd....
It brings up serious privacy concerns for all the forum members.
Please do the applicable action on the mentioned thread.
Thank you 

Edited by edmotonresident - 11 Feb 2010 at 7:24pm
"Canada, where good people live"
Emad View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 7:40am
Topic Deleted
RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 4:54pm
To Emad: just want to set the record straight and make an observation.  I went to the old archives for a history for matthewc (and myself) but, unfortunately, it seems everything after March 2007 is gone.  However, this was matthewc's profile information as of that date, just to give others a clear picture of who he is.

matthewc  ** (see below)
Top Member

Canada
3070 Posts as of March 30, 2007   

matthewc has been an active and well respected member of this forum for many years now, and is a moderator/administrator on another well-respected Canadian immigration forum.  Matthew was not "marketing" anything.  The "eCAS tracker" he developed is a legitimate FREE tool that provides anyone who chooses to sign up for it the ability to have an automated log-in to their CIC eCAS status page that will send them an email if there is a change in status.  It uses the very same information an applicant would provide when they log in to eCAS, and that information is voluntarily supplied by the applicant to the tracker tool if they choose to use it.  It simply saves someone who wants to use it the trouble of repeatedly logging in manually to eCAS to check the status of their application. 

Many of the senior members of this forum (including myself) have used the tracker successfully over the past several years (without any privacy issues whatsoever) - and I actually recently signed up for it again to check my status for me while my PR ap is being reprocessed after an allowed appeal.  Nobody is FORCED to sign up - and the suggestion that Matthew was spamming or trying to profit from posting his offer is ridiculous because you don't profit from offering a free tool to someone who chooses to participate in using it.  In addition, the accusation that the tracker is sending unsolicited emails to forum members is ludicrous - any email that comes through this site (and I get plenty of them) is delivered to a member's email inbox with the member's name and email address visible - so, if Matthew was sending email to forum members about the tracker, the emails would clearly be from him.  An automated tool cannot send email to this forum's members because, as you know, email addresses are not published in this site's profiles.      

Knowing Matthew personally, as both my husband and I do, I know that his intent was only to renew an old offer to forum members that was lost in the previous forum's destruction.  He was honest and forthright about the offer and about who he is.  Unfortunately - because we all lost our original "joined" date and our Member status when the site was recreated  - newer members have no basis of understanding for who Matthew is and has been to this forum, and they panicked. 

Unfortunately what I'm observing is that the real trolls are very active still, moderation is nearly non-existent (again) and we're headed for another crash.  Today, when I wanted to report a post because of troll behaviour, I wasn't able to find an option to do that - which is what led me to this forum and discovering this thread.  

Best Regards,
RobsLuv
member since July 2006

robbiesluv  *** (see below)
Top Member

USA
4378 Posts

** matthewc link goes to http://www.immigration.ca/discussion2/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6&sortfield=author&sortorder=asc&ARCHIVE=true&whichpage=306

*** link goes to http://www.immigration.ca/discussion2/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6&sortfield=author&sortorder=asc&ARCHIVE=true&whichpage=423)

Edited by RobsLuv - 22 Mar 2010 at 5:15pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic