Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

(Seemingly) long delay with case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildisis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (Seemingly) long delay with case
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 2:23pm
Hi all,

I applied for citizenship in August 2011. My case has been in process since December 2011. I have had zero updates since that time (I'm at the Mississauga office apparently). I got a hold of CIC early in December, and they told me that there would be some movement in my file in the following couple of weeks, that my background checks had come back (they'd had to redo them as they had expired since they first did them), and that the next step would be for me to be scheduled for the citizenship test.

Being impatient, I called back today (about a month later), to see if there was any further update. This time, the agent told me that I could expect to wait another 9 months, as it takes about 9 months from the time the background checks come in. I asked her what the next steps were - i.e., what is the Mississauga office doing now that takes 9 more months?, and she just kept saying, "it's 9 months."

So my question is - how normal *is* this? Should I be concerned? I know from the Mississauga thread that many many people applied after me and are already sworn in as citizens. Should I trust agent 1, or agent 2?

Thanks to any and all assuaging. :)

WI
edmonton2011 View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmonton2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by wildisis wildisis wrote:

Should I trust agent 1, or agent 2?

Neither of them.

Every time I call they have a different story. I just hope after completing the background checks the second time, they won't put us back at the end of the queue. It would not be fair to make us wait another 9 months or more.
I am in the same boat as you are: background checks are expiring in January and my file has been in process for a year with no updates (just different local office). I am planning to call them this month but it will probably be a waste of time. :(

Timeline spreadsheet

Rec'd: Sep 01, '11
In proc: Jan 24, '12
Test: Apr 25, '13
Oath: Jul 1, '13
supertoztoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertoztoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by wildisis wildisis wrote:

Hi all,

I applied for citizenship in August 2011. My case has been in process since December 2011. I have had zero updates since that time (I'm at the Mississauga office apparently). I got a hold of CIC early in December, and they told me that there would be some movement in my file in the following couple of weeks, that my background checks had come back (they'd had to redo them as they had expired since they first did them), and that the next step would be for me to be scheduled for the citizenship test.

Being impatient, I called back today (about a month later), to see if there was any further update. This time, the agent told me that I could expect to wait another 9 months, as it takes about 9 months from the time the background checks come in. I asked her what the next steps were - i.e., what is the Mississauga office doing now that takes 9 more months?, and she just kept saying, "it's 9 months."

So my question is - how normal *is* this? Should I be concerned? I know from the Mississauga thread that many many people applied after me and are already sworn in as citizens. Should I trust agent 1, or agent 2?

Thanks to any and all assuaging. :)

WI

Have you been looking at the delays lately ? 24 months now apparently
I sent my application mid 2010 which is 1 year after urs and i just got letter for test and citizenship letter
good luck ! this month
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic