Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calculating days of presence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quark35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calculating days of presence
    Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 11:23am
I've sent in my PR Card renewal application.  Although I have frequent trips (almost entirely to the US, all listed and documented), I have well above the 730 day limit in the past five years.  On my application, I calculated my days of absence (and thus presence) according to the rules for citizenship (I counted the day of arrival in Canada as a day of presence in Canada but not the day of departure).  According to this method of calculation, I have 988 days of presence in Canada in the 4 year and 9 month period since I became a permanent resident.

Have I shortchanged myself, though?  I stumbled across an explanation that for the PR residency requirement, even part of a day counts as a full day.  

So now I'm a bit confused.  Say (hypothetically) I was absent from January 1, 2013 to January 5, 2013.  What would the duration in days of this absence be?  Four days?  Or three days (as I would have left Canada on the 1st and returned on the 5th, so I would have just been completely outside of Canada on the Jan. 2, 3, and 4)?  

Sorry if I'm overthinking this, but I greatly enjoy reading all the detailed posts on this forum, and thought that if I could get a well-explained answer, it would definitely be here!

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 1:06pm

Quote quark35:
Quote I've sent in my PR Card renewal application. Although I have frequent trips (almost entirely to the US, all listed and documented), I have well above the 730 day limit in the past five years. On my application, I calculated my days of absence (and thus presence) according to the rules for citizenship (I counted the day of arrival in Canada as a day of presence in Canada but not the day of departure). According to this method of calculation, I have 988 days of presence in Canada in the 4 year and 9 month period since I became a permanent resident.

Have I shortchanged myself, though? I stumbled across an explanation that for the PR residency requirement, even part of a day counts as a full day.

So now I'm a bit confused. Say (hypothetically) I was absent from January 1, 2013 to January 5, 2013. What would the duration in days of this absence be? Four days? Or three days (as I would have left Canada on the 1st and returned on the 5th, so I would have just been completely outside of Canada on the Jan. 2, 3, and 4)?

Sorry if I'm overthinking this, but I greatly enjoy reading all the detailed posts on this forum, and thought that if I could get a well-explained answer, it would definitely be here!

Unlike the citizenship residency requirement, for the PR residency obligation any part of the day spent in Canada counts as a day in Canada. So, yeah, for each overnight trip outside Canada your calculation only gave you credit for either the day you left or the day you returned, but not both, yeah, you "short-changed" your calculation of days by one.

No big deal though. None at all actually. Yeah, probably overthinking it a bit.

Reporting 988 days of presence, the real issue is how credible your reporting is. The number is well over the requirement. So, for the sake of numbers, it's good, and that means good enough for the sake of tabulating purposes. Credibility is a separate consideration.

Other than that, if you are contemplating applying for citizenship in the near future, just remember to be consistent in what you report as to dates. Well, foremost be accurate. If in being accurate that turns out to be different than something you reported in the PR card renewal application process, report what you best determine is accurate and, if that is a minor discrepancy with what you reported for the PR card renewal, probably leave it at that, but if it is significantly different, then you might want to attach a supplemental page with an explanation (correction of mistake made in PR application say).

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
quark35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quark35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 1:33pm
Thank you, dpenabill, and your answer makes a lot of sense.  
As for credibility: although I may have made a mistake with the calculation of the number of days, I made sure I was accurate with the actual dates of all my trips, and was certain not to omit any trips. 

All my dates of entry to Canada can be supported by my CBSA travel history (which I ordered and received prior to filing my application). I have some passport stamps from the CBSA as well.  
As for my exits, they can be supported by passport stamps from the countries I've travelled, in addition to boarding cards, e-tickets, and my frequent flyer statements.  
(Just an aside: I really wish Canada and the US would implement exit customs, and/or Canadian PR Card holders had to swipe their card (or have it swiped) each time they exit the country as well as enter it).  

And as far as a citizenship application: I'm not in any immediate rush.  I'd rather wait until I am well over the limit of 1095 days in the past four years and then apply.  

Again, I'm very thankful for all the useful information I have found on this forum.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic