Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How does this make sense?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarmalThunker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How does this make sense?
    Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 1:37pm
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#5445E4

1. Your PR Card

If you are applying to renew your present card or replace your damaged card, you should retain it until you receive your new card.

If you are asked to present yourself at a local CIC office, you must bring with you the previous card and the original documents of the copies which you have included with your application. You will be asked to destroy your previous cardonce you receive the new one.

Format: Original

When would you ever not retain the PR Card in this case? If it is a first application then you would not have one, if not then the only reason is because you need to renew or replace it!

quark35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quark35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 10:17am
I know, that puzzled me as well.  As my card was not yet expired when I mailed my renewal application, I simply sent in a clear photocopy of the front and back of my PR Card.  I hope it works!

Msafiri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msafiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 1:25pm
You may renew a PR Card upto 1 year before expiry date so its conceivable that you would have 2 'valid' cards if you the new card was mailed out. The initial card would be of no use for travel as the relvant immigration databses would be updated. Its the applicant's responsibility to then destroy the card that has been replaced.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic