Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PR Card Expiring - Citizen Application  Submitted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR Card Expiring - Citizen Application Submitted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plutohall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR Card Expiring - Citizen Application Submitted
    Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 10:16pm
I just realized my PR card is going to expire in less than 3 months and current processing times are 3 months. I have a citizenship application in process. Is my citizenship application jeopardized if my PR card expires?
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2012 at 12:59am

Quote plutohall:
Quote I just realized my PR card is going to expire in less than 3 months and current processing times are 3 months. I have a citizenship application in process. Is my citizenship application jeopardized if my PR card expires?

Short answer:

No, the fact that the PR card expires will not jeopardize your citizenship application.

Expiration of PR card does not affect PR status.

Longer answer with elaboration:

You mostly need a currently valid PR card to board commercial transportation destined for Canada from abroad.

Of course, it is best to have a currently valid PR whenever approaching a Canadian POE. It is better to have a currently valid card when you appear for the test/interview. But these are not mandatory.

Generally, best to make the application for the new card, but no need to worry about timing (again, unless you are traveling abroad), so you will have it. Depending on when you applied for citizenship, and its status, that could take awhile, or awhile plus some.

Note, too, that CIC will most likely compare contents of applications. Make sure you are consistent, especially as to addresses and absences, in both what you submitted for the citizenship application and what you submit for the PR card renewal application. That said, it is even more important to be accurate. So if you notice any significant error made in the citizenship application, including the residency calculation disclosures, call CIC about how to correct those and send correct information in the PR card renewal.

General advisory, probably not applicable to you:

Probably in no way at all relevant to you, but warranting a general advisory to others, it is really important to submit accurate information. The last I knew, a misrepresentation in the citizenship application could only result in the denial of citizenship and perhaps a criminal prosecution (ordinarily only egregious cases are prosecuted, I think); PR gets to keep PR status. But, a material misrepresentation made in an application for renewal of the PR card is governed by IRPA and as I understand it, the consequences can be (in addition to criminal prosecution) a determination that the PR is inadmissible due to misrepresentation, resulting in loss of PR status and being totally barred from Canada . . . duration was being changed, not sure the change has taken effect as yet, but at the very least, barred for two years. In other words: it is important to submit accurate information.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic