Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Live outside Canada after approuved as sponsor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Live outside Canada after approuved as sponsor
    Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 11:52am
Hi,I m a permanent resident and I want to sponsor my wife.I was wonderning if it s possible without problems to live outside Canada after CIC approuves me as sponsor.Anyone did that? Thank you!
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 12:16pm
No - it's not possible. Yes - you should expect problems if you go through with your plans.

As a PR, you must be living in Canada when you sponsor your spouse and you must continue living in Canada until the application is 100% approved and your spouse receives the visa.

Short trips (2-3 weeks) outside of Canada are fine. Anything longer and you are risking having the application refused due to non residency.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
Marmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 2:30pm
But, the application will further processed in visa office outside Canada how will that embassy know where am I at some time.And I m thinking that they are already done with me after they approuved me as sponsor anyway. There might be some risk is true but I wish I knew how can I beat the system.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 4:44pm

It is possible for the sponsor to live outside Canada while a sponsorship application is pending. Anywhere the individual has status to live actually.

It does, however, disqualify a PR from sponsoring. As scylla says: expect problems.

But, sure, you can live outside Canada. Be sure to advise CIC of the change in circumstances. Sponsorship application will be denied. But you could apply again later when you decide and do live in Canada.

I suppose you could try cheating, try to "beat the system," and not report the change in circumstances. But your wife also has the obligation to advise CIC of changes in circumstances.

If you elect to attempt cheating, how will you get caught? Lots of ways.

The good news for those who are interested in maintaining the integrity of Canada's immigration system, there are more ways than ever to catch this sort of thing. Your odds may have been pretty good a few years ago. Not so good now.

Moreover, there is no rush for CIC to catch you. If they do not catch it before the sponsorship application processes goes through, they could find out years from now and it would mean that both of you would become inadmissible for having made a material misrepresentation (remember, omissions, including failing to inform CIC of a material change in circumstances while the application is pending, are as much a material misrepresenation as is outright false statements). PR status would be revoked. You would be barred from coming to Canada entirely for at least two years (this was being changed to a longer time, I do not recall if the change has taken effect as yet, but if not it will and it will be longer than two years). Example: if you were to apply for citizenship in the future, they can require you to report all addresses going back to the date of landing, and if they discover discrepancies during that process -- again, there are many ways for this to happen -- even if that is not until many years in the future, boom, boom, bang! Not good.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
WorriedMex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorriedMex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 2:43am
I guess no one likes the truth, when it is not convenient for one' circumstances. Truth is hard, but is better that misrepresentation. 
One look,
One thought,
One touch,
One word... CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER!!!
@ Toronto sent 23Feb12 │ e-CAS received 21Mar12 │ in process 30Nov12 | test 10Sep13 | ツツツ OATH 21Nov13 ♬♪♩♬�
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic