Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Last name addition for spouse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karan1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last name addition for spouse
    Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 10:32pm
Hi I have a few questions for spousal sponsorship. I will be applying very soon for my wife from New Delhi.

My wife lives with her Parents, Brother and Sister-In-law.

1. Do all of them (parents, brother and sister-in-law have to fill IMM5669 (Background Declaration), IMM5406E(Additional Family Information) and Details of foreign travels. or is it just me and her

2. Second issue is that my wife doesn't have a last name on the passport(no maiden name only her first name). Although she will be taking my last name, but getting a new passport with my last name will take about a month.I dont want to wait a month to file her papers, so i was wondering if I should  just put in a letter stating the fact that she has applied for a spouse name addition on the passport and use my last name on the forms

Will really appreciate the help.

Thanks
nabmeusa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nabmeusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 10:08am
Yes they have to fill out the additional info form. Now regarding the passport issue you have to choose between being patient or rushing out the fill the application. You know for sure that CIC will not accept a passport bearing only the first name without the last name. Therefore, if you send the application and they return the package to you it gonna cause you time, money and even delay the processing time. In my opinion just be patient and let her get a new passport with her first and last name then you apply and there is no problem. Good luck..!
Spousal Application sent to mississauga 03/05/2012
Application delivered 04/05/2012
First stage approval 27-07-2012
File transfer Accra 27-07-2012
medical done 29-12-2011
Interview 28-11-2012
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 10:54am
Originally posted by karan1916 karan1916 wrote:

1. Do all of them (parents, brother and sister-in-law have to fill IMM5669 (Background Declaration), IMM5406E(Additional Family Information) and Details of foreign travels. or is it just me and her

Only the person you are sponsoring needs to complete the IMM5669 and IMM5406 form.  The sponsor does not fill them out, the applicant's family does not fill them out - unless they are also being sponsored.  This would be the case for an applicant with adult (18+) dependent children.

Originally posted by karan1916 karan1916 wrote:

2. Second issue is that my wife doesn't have a last name on the passport(no maiden name only her first name). Although she will be taking my last name, but getting a new passport with my last name will take about a month.I dont want to wait a month to file her papers, so i was wondering if I should  just put in a letter stating the fact that she has applied for a spouse name addition on the passport and use my last name on the forms

Use her name on her passport on the forms as well.  List her married name as an alias.  If you want to complete the forms using her married name, you must wait until you have a passport with her married name on it.

NDVO will request her passport at the beginning of processing anyway (this is their unique process, as no other VO asks for the passport at the beginning of application processing).  By that time you'll have her updated passport and can send it along.

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 12:05pm
Hi

Originally posted by nabmeusa nabmeusa wrote:

Yes they have to fill out the additional info form. Now regarding the passport issue you have to choose between being patient or rushing out the fill the application. You know for sure that CIC will not accept a passport bearing only the first name without the last name. Therefore, if you send the application and they return the package to you it gonna cause you time, money and even delay the processing time. In my opinion just be patient and let her get a new passport with her first and last name then you apply and there is no problem. Good luck..!

CIC does accept passports/applications with a single name. They will use it as the surname. Indonesians, Tibetans and other people do only have one name. Sikhs use Kaur and Singh, and CIC will accept that as a surname.
PMM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic