Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New language rquirements introduced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 10:07pm
Hi

Originally posted by SarahBC SarahBC wrote:

Hi pmm,
I was referring to the PR requirements that titbit posted above :)

Really old news. IELTs became mandatory for everyone in Skilled Worker over 2 years ago. Too many applicants claimed proficiency in English previously and then had to have an interpreter at the interview.

I was commenting on the 01/11/12 requirement that persons not receiving their high schooling or University in English will require an English test for citizenship, which is the topic of this forum.
PMM
eli View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 11:00pm
Good news. You will be surprise to see that most citizenship applicants do not speak English at all! some zero and some very little. 

Good job! but I like to see reduced processing times too.  

Also the residency requirement is lower than what other counties have in place. Canada should follow, legislating more stringent residency requirements in the Citizenship Act.  
soon-to-be-canadian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soon-to-be-canadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by eli eli wrote:

Good news. You will be surprise to see that most citizenship applicants do not speak English at all! some zero and some very little. 

Good job! but I like to see reduced processing times too.  

Also the residency requirement is lower than what other counties have in place. Canada should follow, legislating more stringent residency requirements in the Citizenship Act.  

"you will be surprise to see that most citizenship applicants do not speak English at all!"

Would you mind sharing the source of this comment? I will  be certainly glad to read about it.  
Received July 27,2010 E-CAS Mid Nov. 2010 In process 28 March,2011 Transfer 09 May,2011 Test 06 June,2011 Oath May 17, 2012
Northy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 8:57am
Language requirement are part of the initial immigration process. If due diligence is made back then, I don't see a reason to request it later.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 1:06pm
Hi

Originally posted by Northy Northy wrote:

Language requirement are part of the initial immigration process. If due diligence is made back then, I don't see a reason to request it later.

Except the English/French language requirements are only in CEC/FSW/PNP for the principal applicant. Spouses/dependants, don't submit language results.
PMM
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 4:10pm
It is interesting that one week prior to when CIC has announced it will require applicants to submit proof of language competency with the application, the online guide and instructions, and the checklist in the application, do NOT incorporate this.

The news release states:
Quote The requirement for adult applicants to provide objective evidence of their language ability with their citizenship submission applies to every application received as of November 1, 2012.

Indeed, there is no direct notice to applicants that this is going to be required -- there is no hint that I see, on the CIC pages with information about applying for citizenship, that this change will be implemented soon, that proof of language ability is required with the application.

Given the track record of Canada Post, applications mailed this week are already at risk for not arriving at CPC-Sydney before next Thursday (November 1).

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
edmonton2011 View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmonton2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 4:13pm
There is a note on this page:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become.asp

Originally posted by wrote:

As of November 1, 2012, adults (ages 18-54) applying for citizenship will have to send proof that they have adequate knowledge of English or French (listening and speaking).

Important: Applications received on or after November 1, 2012 must have proof of language included in the application package. If your application is received after November 1, 2012 without the acceptable proof, it will be considered incomplete and will be returned to you.

To avoid having your application returned to you as incomplete, it is recommended that you complete the form dated 09-2012 or the new form, available November 1, 2012, and include the necessary acceptable proof of language.

Find out more.

Edited by edmonton2011 - 22 Oct 2012 at 4:13pm
Timeline spreadsheet

Rec'd: Sep 01, '11
In proc: Jan 24, '12
Test: Apr 25, '13
Oath: Jul 1, '13
akella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by edmonton2011 edmonton2011 wrote:

There is a note on this page:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become.asp

Thank you for the link. I like this part:
As part of your interaction with departmental staff or in your interview with a citizenship judge, you will be expected to:
  • express satisfaction or dissatisfaction.

I am waiting for my chance to express extreme dissatisfaction with the process and timelines - as per CIC guidelines.

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 5:16pm
Well, at least there is some information now about this, although whether or not the ordinary user of CIC will get that information on their way to downloading the application itself, together with the guide instructing them on how to complete the application, is largely a matter of luck.

For those who follow the CIC home page link "Application Forms and Guides" to the link for making a citizenship application, this is the page they see:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/adults.asp where there is still no hint that they will be required to submit proof of language ability. The link there, to the "instruction guide," takes you to this:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp where again there is still no hint of the language requirement.

Which actually makes things all that more problematic from my perspective: CIC is in effect posting inconsistent information -- giving notice of the new requirement but not in a way that many of those downloading the application will see it. (Particularly not those who have previously reveiwed the online information regarding applying, eligibility, and getting prepared to apply, that is, those who simply are going back to the site to download the most current form and instructions, which are those most likely to be sending off their applications this week.)

That is, it makes a difference if one uses the link "apply for citizenship" and then follows the link to determine eligibility for citizenship, or if the person accesses the application by the home page link for "application forms and guides."

One route alerts the user of the new requirement. The other route offers no hint at all.

The checklist with the form will not be updated online until November 1. (The new form is due out November 1 . . . one wonders if it will incorporate more changes than just those related to the language requirement.)

Many here tend to think of me as a defender of CIC more than a critic, but this is one of those areas in which criticism is due; the failure to coordinate these things better is disconcerting.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 5:24pm
Yeah, it fits the direction of slowing down processing and reducing number of applicants.

They just don't give a damn-- they're uncompetitive monopoly with no ombudsman on them, this attitude seeps through everything they do.

There's guarantee a number of applications will bounce back because of their neglect. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic