Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canadian Employment / Jobs > Canada Job Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allowed Searching for a Job While Visiting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ValerieUSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allowed Searching for a Job While Visiting?
    Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 5:16pm
Hi. I have a quick question and will be copy/pasting my issue from a post I made on another site. If it's in the wrong area, please move it.  Thank you.

My question is: Am I allowed searching for a job while visiting Canada? 

Here is the full post from the other forum. 

Hi there. I am new here (obviously) so I'm not sure if I am posting this is the correct area. I've searched the job/work areas and they both seem to have a little of everything in them. I am 28 and from the states. I have been to Canada quite a few times (for a week or two each) over the years. I would like to get a job during my next visit (so I can stay there fulltime, eventually). I saw on the CIC website that you can apply from within Canada as well as outside of Canada. I do not have any job experience that is listed on the exempt lists, yet I only have work experience as a cashier/customer service here in the states. I've had 2 jobs over the years, both lasting 2 years. I currently work as a freelance writer/self-employed while looking into Canada (it's always been a dream of mine) and looking for an outside job so I have a steady pay-check. I saw that I would most likely need a written letter for a job offer. Is there a way to look for a job (just see who's hiring, talk to people, etc) while I am in Canada without breaking any laws? I'm not sure how to go about getting a letter of recommendation for a cashier/convenience store/customer service since they are readily available positions. My preferred location is within Toronto, since it's the area that I know people from. 

Thank you. 

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong area, please move it if so.
newcomers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newcomers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 4:52pm
not really you can.
as you do not have working visa
lutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 9:16am
Your safest bet is to contact CIC to make sure that you can scout for jobs while on a visitor's visa. IMO you're not formally working so it may not violate, but I am not sure.

As far as getting a job offer letter for a cashier's job or the sort, that may be a hit and miss exercise. You will not qualify as a Federal Skilled Worker, but probably as a Temporary worker and will be able to apply for Permanent Residency from within Canada ONCE you meet the requirements. 

ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 11:42am
I would say that visitor visa does not preclude one from negotiations (which is what looking for a job is).

You are not supposed to enter into employment on a visitor visa, but entering employment and negotiating a job are two different things.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic