Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timeline for Ottawa CIC office

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeathome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 8:46am
We took test early March and finally got our test results last Friday, after 4.5 months. That should be faster now as you get the results straight after the test. This is confirmed for Ottawa as other friends took test two weeks ago and were given the results 20 mins after the test.

It looks like that from test taken to oath ceremony, in standard cases, it takes about 6 months. We have several friends who are all in this time frame, incl. myself.

Q:
To all who got their citizenship: Is it possible, in principle, to go to the passport office in Ottawa straight after the ceremony? What is required?

Well, you could say another one who just leaves the country after he gets citizenship. The truth is, I want to visit my dying dad one more time. I like to travel with Canadian passport on re-entering to avoid q's. It's a couple hundreds km from the place we live to Ottawa...

Overall process time to-date: close to 26 months, no oath date yet, possibly September

mike

Edited by mikeathome - 10 Jul 2013 at 8:50am
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 11:46am

Originally posted by mikeathome mikeathome wrote:

We took test early March and finally got our test results last Friday, after 4.5 months. That should be faster now as you get the results straight after the test. This is confirmed for Ottawa as other friends took test two weeks ago and were given the results 20 mins after the test.

It looks like that from test taken to oath ceremony, in standard cases, it takes about 6 months. We have several friends who are all in this time frame, incl. myself.

Q:
To all who got their citizenship: Is it possible, in principle, to go to the passport office in Ottawa straight after the ceremony? What is required?

Well, you could say another one who just leaves the country after he gets citizenship. The truth is, I want to visit my dying dad one more time. I like to travel with Canadian passport on re-entering to avoid q's. It's a couple hundreds km from the place we live to Ottawa...

Overall process time to-date: close to 26 months, no oath date yet, possibly September

Congratulations on passing the test.

As for applying for the passport, last I saw was this:
Quote New citizens need to wait at least two business days after their citizenship ceremony before applying for services such as a passport.
This is quoted from the CIC web page Prepare for the Citizenship Ceremony.

No need to apply for the passport in Ottawa however. There are passport service locations in many other locations. In Windsor for example. Sure, for someone who is outside Canada and just traveling in for the oath, that is not convenient.

As for time from test to oath:

Originally posted by mikeathome mikeathome wrote:

In standard cases, meaning the majority of routinely processed applications, going forward the timeline between oath and ceremony should be a matter of days or weeks, not months, and way, way less than six months. Of course for some it will be longer, months, even six months, or for some even longer than that.

But for most routine applicants, my sense of the recent changes regarding test procedures (including notifying applicants of test results and scheduling re-tests) is that they are in part intended to facilitate shorter timelines to oath ceremonies. See Operational Bulletin 530 (Retesting and communicating results of the citizenship knowledge test), particularly the part discussing next step if applicant passes the test.

Beyond that, reports of personal experience indicate wide, wide variation in how long it takes to be scheduled for the oath. Some are scheduled for the oath before they even appear for the test, the oath scheduled for same day, next day, within the week. Others are given notice of the oath at the test event, timeline ranging from within the week to within a month. Many appear to be scheduled for the oath within one to two months.

But we have some participants here who have been waiting, following the test, for many months, still no notice, no RQ, no other indication of non-routine processing, but still waiting.

So, no guarantees. But for most the oath should be scheduled a lot sooner than six months after the test.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
mikeathome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeathome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

Congratulations on passing the test.

Thank You!

New citizens need to wait at least two business days after their citizenship ceremony before applying for services such as a passport. This is quoted from the CIC web page Prepare for the Citizenship Ceremony.

No need to apply for the passport in Ottawa however. There are passport service locations in many other locations. In Windsor for example. Sure, for someone who is outside Canada and just traveling in for the oath, that is not convenient. 

Another Thank You. Our closest office is Whitby, so that's where I'll go. Anyway, truthfully following the application process would require you to a) take a printer with you and b) your guarantor in person who has to certify your application after you completed it. The application requires you to fill in the Citizenship Certification number which you only know when it is handed out to you after you signed it after the oath.

As for time from test to oath:
In standard cases, meaning the majority of routinely processed applications, going forward the timeline between oath and ceremony should be a matter of days or weeks, not months, and way, way less than six months. Of course for some it will be longer, months, even six months, or for some even longer than that.

But for most routine applicants, my sense of the recent changes regarding test procedures (including notifying applicants of test results and scheduling re-tests) is that they are in part intended to facilitate shorter timelines to oath ceremonies. See Operational Bulletin 530 (Retesting and communicating results of the citizenship knowledge test), particularly the part discussing next step if applicant passes the test.

Beyond that, reports of personal experience indicate wide, wide variation in how long it takes to be scheduled for the oath. Some are scheduled for the oath before they even appear for the test, the oath scheduled for same day, next day, within the week. Others are given notice of the oath at the test event, timeline ranging from within the week to within a month. Many appear to be scheduled for the oath within one to two months.

But we have some participants here who have been waiting, following the test, for many months, still no notice, no RQ, no other indication of non-routine processing, but still waiting.

So, no guarantees. But for most the oath should be scheduled a lot sooner than six months after the test.

I totally agree with you, especially with your very last sentence. Well, what I posted is -as it looks from our perspective- the standard time frame for Ottawa. I have a few colleagues and friends which all were moved to Ottawa when Kingston got closed down. With two consequences: We are all over 26 months already, no RQ issued and all waiting already more then 4 months for a oath ceremony to be scheduled. Based on these data i would contemplate it's the Ottawa specific time frame. Maybe they under direct supervision of CIC. But Kenney is located in BC is he?

mike
Gussie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gussie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 12:20pm
Hi,

One of my friends got ceremony notice on Aug 1st

her timeline:
applied Aug 2011
in process April 2012
Test March 2013
Ceremony Aug 2013
Gussie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gussie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 9:32am
Please to keep us updated with any cases in Ottawa...(files update, test or ceremony dates)

Thanks, Clap

satangel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote satangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 5:20pm
Hi,

I called yesterday CIC, they confirmed me that my file was finally transfered to Ottawa office by June 26th. (In process since januray 17th).

How long it takes to get the exam invitation?

Thanks
Simple mind, happy man
Gussie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gussie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 9:50am
Hi satangel ,
thank u for ur post. I think ottawa office is going very slow. I am tracking some cases of my friends (one got ceremony on Aug 1st 2013) she is Aug 2011 applicant.

Another one is Nov 2011 applicant who got test date in July 2013.

So from this i guess they are handling Dec 2011- Jan 2012 applicants.

My case: Applied Mar 2012 - in process Nov 2012. I expect if everything is ok to get test date end of Sep 2013 or October 2013.

Best of luck to all Thumbs Up   
Gussie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gussie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 11:23am
Any updates people in Ottawa ??

Let us know please...
cvv31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cvv31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 2:29pm
Hi guys

Here is my update awfully depressing I guess like many I am still in the waiting, for sure Ottawa office is SLOW Angry

Applic received June 2011
RQ received Sept 2012 (yes it is ONE YEAR NOW) responded within 2 weeks
Waiting
Waiting
Waiting
Confused

You asked for an update, here was mine Cry
Application Received: Jun 10 - 2011; In Process: Sept 7 - 2012; RQ received: Sept 7 - 2012; Test Date: April 14 -2014
Gussie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gussie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:41am
Applied 8 Mar 2012
in process 23 Nov 2012
Test 23 Sep 2013
+
Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>
  Share Topic