Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CIC attitudes through processing timelines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 1:35pm
goal80 - same is true for US supreme court justices as well. They don't need to have a degree in law but most do.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_kind_of_education_does_a_US_Supreme_Court_justice_need
Northy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 2:14pm
Isn't the same true about jury.... The guys who decide whether someone is guilty or not are normal people from different background....
Anyway, I think conspiracy theory is at play here when people attribute the delays to some hidden agendas and the same with appointing judges in cities versus others...
The system is not perfect, and the conservative government is making it harder for everyone. Judges are also complaining having to interview around 10 applicants a day....so imagine how the feel at the end of the day.... Life is not perfect for anyone. Blame Mr Kenney and his boss.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 2:48pm
I concur with the post by Northy and would add that unlike judges in courts of law, including appellate court judges and justices, the Citizenship "Judge" is really an administrative position, a quasi-judicial role, in which the complexities of jurisprudence are not ordinarily in play. The one exception: interpreting and applying principles related to residency in cases involving applicants who did not meet the minimum 1095 days of actual presence threshold. This area is a morass of law, deeply rooted in conflicting principles, one not easily navigated even by the more sophisticated jurists and judges with extensive background in jurisprudence. This is becoming less and less significant as, it appears, most CJs seem to be getting in line with the Kenney/Harper mandate to strictly require 1095 days actual presence. That is a straight-forward standard, no sophisticated legal experience necessary.

Of course, the fact-finding function itself tends to involve a level of sophistication and judiciousness that some might feel demands the experience and background of a professional jurist. That is a judgment call. In the vast, vast majority of cases, the fact-finding function is not nearly so complicated as to require such sophistication.

But, in any event, overall the functions of the Citizenship Judge are such that call for qualities like integrity, wisdom, judiciousness in the category of having good judgment sense, and some broad human experience. And this, I think, is largely what they look for in appointing CJs, though to some extent it may also be influenced by a sense of giving recognition to certain leaders in the community. Strictly legal, jurisprudential experience is probably a quite low priority.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
zigma99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zigma99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 4:50pm
IMHO, CIC has a quota for granting PR.
I am sure they have a calculation assumption:
that the a certain percentage of number of PRs that actually complete landing would claim citizenship.
Since there are PRs landing every year, and the number has mostly stayed consistent over the past few years, a percentage of those would now be applying for citizenship.

So, CIC should have the capacity since they are asking for an application fee to support the process.
Therefore, the delay is not justified but possibly due to other reasons.
Northy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 6:19pm
It is like anything else in this country, people complaining how long it takes to process a citizenship application but they forget how long it takes to have a surgery or waiting time at the ER.... Everything is put on the back burner. I don't think that citizenship is more important than healthcare or capacity in education, schools and university and so on...
They certainly know how many applicants can possibly qualify, but when they manage their fiscal budget they don't care if you get through in one year or more... They just close offices and hire less. Would you want them to spend money here or on healthcare? Guys lets be realistic and stop exaggerating and whining, it is what it is... And when you become citizen please remember this and elect the party who will speed up things, not stupid conservatives....
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Northy Northy wrote:

Would you want them to spend money here or on healthcare?

Losing position and rhetoric. We know very well that CIC cuts won't improve healthcare, so why bother with such populistic statements?

We had citizenship processing times increased twofold in the last 4-5 years-- that's reality we deal here and now. Now, how healthcare or education has improved over the same period? I don't frequent doctors, but was always hearing about schools closures and education cuts.

Edited by EasyRider - 07 Sep 2012 at 6:40pm
Northy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 7:09pm
I am not saying that healthcare and education have improved. I meant that budget cuts are across the board. If they were to spend on hiring for cic and spending on citizenship, they would rather spend on healthcare and education. The fact is that cic gets cut first before others. I was just responding to conspiracy theorists who say that the cut is intentional to delay the process.... Well budget cut is a budget cut and the fallout is more delays... Same thing others could argue for not hiring more teachers or doctors and nurses to cut down waiting time....i am not referring to efficiency here...
Wannavote2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannavote2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 8:36pm
Yes, budget cut is a budget cut, but implementing new procedures like increasing RQs and pre-test RQs that ask for extensive and time consuming reviews while cutting staff doesn't make sense unless like many suggest here, there is a hidden reason behind it or you completely don't care about the people you are serving or you don't care too about your short staffed employees you have as the level of work and stress won't be good for them either! Why in the world would you implement such a heavy burden like RQs during budget cuts is beyond me! It is not like in the 4 years they will be in power, they will catch enough fraud to justify it and I even doubt there are that many as most of us feel lucky and happy to be here!
So for me, there is no excuses, either there are clueless and stupid or they are doing it for some other hidden and vicious reasons! Either way, we have to question the motives, demand and get better treatment otherwise why are we in a demoncracy!
timbit_TO View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbit_TO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 6:45am
Originally posted by EasyRider EasyRider wrote:

Non-verbal message:
Stay away and get the hell out.

Right, and since both accidental drownings and ice cream sales peak in the summer, it's proof positive that eating ice cream makes you more likely to drown.

Understandable frustration is not an excuse for faulty logic :-)
Law (the). Nobody knows what it is.
Gustave Flaubert, Le Dictionnaire des idées reçues
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by timbit_TO timbit_TO wrote:

Right, and since both accidental drownings and ice cream sales peak in the summer, it's proof positive that eating ice cream makes you more likely to drown.

Understandable frustration is not an excuse for faulty logic :-)

There's no faulty logic here ). One would need to think way too much to find it here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic