Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponsorship for a cancer survivor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noushin50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 4:04pm
Hi,
I don't know what exactly they were looking for.
I just know that DMP asked for CT scan and more details from Oncologist.
We applied for my mother in law as well. They received her medical Sep 27 2012 and we got an email asking for her passport to issue visa 2 days ago.
I am looking fo an attorney to be prepared for an appeal incase .
Does anyone know an attorney?
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Noushin50 Noushin50 wrote:

Hello, I have almost the same situation.I sponsored my parents.
My dad was diagnosed with GIST (Gastro Intestinal Stromal Tumor) he had teh surgery over a year ago. Now he is taking medication as adjuvant therapy.
He had his regular medical exam in September. DMP received an email about getting more information as well as my mom getting a phone call.
I did not receive anything.They sent new information to medical center in Paris over a week ago.
I am a pharmacist ,living in BC. My father has his medication covered back home in Iran.
I want to be prepared in any case of rejection.Can you please give me some information?
Thanks

You are in a uniquely qualified position - you can at least determine what the cost of the medication is (for me, that was one of the most difficult things to do, since this was about the cost to the province in my case).  I ultimately ended up using the Quebec numbers (they publish an entire guide of prices).

If the medical officer decides that your father is "excessive demand" you will receive a "fairness letter".  This letter should set out the basis of the medical officer's opinion, although it may be generic.  The law requires that the medical officer perform an individualized assessment, but they don't always do so (she certainly didn't in my case).

It sounds like the primary concern would be the cost of medication.  You should determine what the cost of that medication would be in Canada and what portion, if any, that would be paid for by the provincial government.   The current number is $6100, but it will be adjusted again on 1 December, so I would expect it to increase by another 5-8% as it has in recent years.

The fairness letter will ask you to respond in 60 days.  You may ask for an extension - it is definitely advisable to do so as it takes time to prepare a response to a fairness letter.  I would suggest hiring an attorney to assist you but will caution you there are only a handful of attorneys experienced in this area.  If you are interested PM me and I will provide you with pointers.

The response may challenge the medical officer's opinion.  It may also challenge the cost estimates of the medical officer.  It may also offer a mitigation plan.

In my own response, we did not challenge the opinion.  The medical officer gave no cost estimates but we had estimates from an expert.  The brunt of my own response related to mitigation - in my case private employer funded insurance that would cover 100% of the medication cost up to $68k (note that in spite of this, the medical officer still found me inadmissible and the VO did nothing to augment or review the MO's opinion.  I believe this was an essential part of the Court's decision to grant leave).

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
Noushin50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noushin50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 2:14am
Thank you very much for the info and PM
You have been very supportive and helpful.
alyona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alyona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 12:50pm
Today there was an update on our case online "Medical results have been received" What does it mean? I wonder if they can still ask my mom to do some additional tests or if they were satisfied with the info we provided and will be making a decision based on that.
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 11:03pm
Excellent!  That means the medical results have been added to your file.  If there had been an inadmissibility issue, you would have received a fairness letter, and medical results would not have been received.

In my case, I didn't get "medical results have been received" until the same day they refused my application.

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
alyona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alyona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 11:32am
Thank you, computergeek! Although I saw some people said they had "medical have been received" update and still got rejection after that, but still, this definitely gives us hope for the good result.
isim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 10:08am
Hi Alyona, we are crossing our fingers for good results! Hopefully everything goes well with your situation. Please keep us updated, your posts have been very helpful since we're in a very similar situation
isim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 10:12am
Hello Noushin50, we're all hoping for good results. Please keep us updated with your situation
alyona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alyona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 5:39pm
Today I received happy news - an e-mail request to send my parents passport for permanent residents visas! I cannot beleive it to be honest, we expected a lot of issues with medical results but they never even asked anything!
Hopefully this will bring more hope to the ones in the same situation as us. Of course each case is unique but it helps being prepared with all the medical paperwork which I think was significant in our case.

Good luck to all!
farnaz81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farnaz81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 10:47am
Hi Noushin, 

Could you please let me know what happened to your case of sponsoring your parents?

I have the same situation as you had. I am so worried and don't know where to get my answer.

Many Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic