Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Operational Bulletin 407 - Residence Questionnaire
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Operational Bulletin 407 - Residence Questionnaire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 5:08pm

=========    Q&A on OB 407  
=========   

(this is CIC's internal Q&A page on OB407, apparently created prior to OB407 release and not updated since, obtained under Access to Information Act)

https://rapidshare.com/files/317124253/OB407_QandA.pdf

A few things that stand out:
- "These changes, especially in the short-term, will have implications for the time required by officers to prepare a file and to conduct the interview which, in turn, will have an impact on the number of files that may be processed in a local office. Targets will be adjusted accordingly."
-"... additional resources will not be allocated for this change in how we process citizenship applications, however processing targets will be reviewed as we move forward with this change."
-"... it is expected that filling out the new checklist will require an extra 10-15 minutes at local offices."

Thoughts?
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 6:25pm
I thought the redacted portion of the response to overview item 14. loomed larger, somewhat ominously.
Quote 14. In the future, will we be requesting more information up-front?

This is echoed in what appears to be a number of redacted items in response to File Requirements Checklist item 1.

Redacted items in response to item 7 "process for 'no shows' at local office also looms large. (In this regard, it should be noted that more than a few of the published Federal Court decisions where CIC is the party making the appeal involve applicants who went directly to in-person hearings with CJs due to various circumstances, including no-shows . . . I had wondered, before OB 407 was implemented, without saying anything, whether applicants anticipating RQ, could shortcut the long long queue involved in RQ by triggering a oral hearing hearing with the CJ by missing the test . . . bring substantial documentation to establish residency to the hearing . . . but of course that was no longer a feasible strategy once pre-test RQ procedures took effect).

Note too the redacted item as to Residence Questionnaire item 2. Which offices issue the RQ and when?

File Preparation Templates section is interesting . . . tending to affirm most of our speculations about that stage of the process (note distinction made between "clear-cut" and "hearing" files, which is pretty much in line with an enhanced version of the previous process and along the lines I have been suggesting for awhile now) but with some added detail that illuminates the decision-making process a little more. Distinction is also referred to as "straightforward files" or "those going to a hearing."

As I have indicated what I thought in other topics, this also confirms that it is the citizenship officer who reviews the file after the CJ has approved the grant of citizenship, so the decision about whether or not to appeal a CJ's approval is largely, substantively, in the hands of the citizenship officer . . . I would expect, of course, this is mostly a recommendation that goes up the ladder at least another rung before a decision is made to actually appeal or not.

Regarding time to do this or that task:

We knew that there would be

(1) a learning and implementation curve in adapting to the new process that would increase processing times at least temporarily

(2) that some additional steps were introduced so that overall processing times would increase -- question was by how much. What net effect will result from an additional 10-15 minutes in filling out the new checklist, for each applicant? Probably significant . . . months? Probably. No way of reliably predicting total impact unless we knew how many applicants each citizenship officer previously processed, say in a given month.

(3) The level one screening is probably selecting a greater number of applicants to be given RQ than were being given RQ previously, so that too will slow the overall process down some -- here too we cannot reliably predict the net impact. I have speculated about the likely impact previously, and overall this Q&A does not change my expectations/opinions in this regard by much . . . I think that distinction between "clear-cut" and "hearing" cases, or "straightforward" and "hearing" cases, will help those well-qualified applicants who nonetheless received RQ and responded appropriately to the RQ, but I had incorporated a process akin to this in my previous speculations. (So I still anticipate that some post OB 407 / pre-test RQ'd applicants should be getting notice of being scheduled for the test by the year's end or in the first quarter of next year . . . not all, probably not most, but at least some and perhaps many.)

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Glimmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 9:42am
Akella, thank you for posting this and the link to the document -very interesting!
HuronBird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 11:55am

It's amazing how basic rights of thousands of people getting violated without real measures to address this serious issue in our society. Very few discussed this RQ issue based on equality and fair opportunity grounds. Allow me explain it further in bullet point below

1-     CIC received applications from X1 and X2 for citizenship on the same day of for example January 1st of 2010

2-     CIC of e.g. Toronto send both X1 and X2 invitation to take citizenship test on e.g. Sep 2011

3-      CIC officer based on some criteria that is not transparent to the public and not proven to be accurate nor correct, will have the freedom to classify applicant X2 to be suspicious of not completing the residency requirements for citizenship.  And hand out applicant X2 a residency questionnaire that has nothing wrong except it comes along with at least 2 years freeze in citizenship process. CIC is currently stating its actually 4 years of punishment, I mean waiting due to backlog.

The backgrounds of applicant X2 doesn’t matter if he or she is a business man or a high tech professional...that needs to travel the abroad to pay her or his earning and pay the relevant tax into the system. It doesn’t matter if he or she has included into the residence calculation only the combined physical presence in Canada to come up => 1095 days. I have even heard about people that didn’t even travel abroad and received the RQ. It’s based on the discretion of the CIC officer to hand out RQ to any applicants the he or she wishes to make their lives more complicated. For example, restraining them from the Mobility rights that are mentioned in "Discover Canada" book. OR taking up jobs in government departments where Canadian citizenship is required. Or even vote to choose how their paid tax will be spent in their society.

4-     CIC officer send X1 to take up the oath on e.g January of 2012

5-     X3 applicant comes up in the picture and submit application in January of 2012

6-     X3 applicant take up the citizenship test in Janary of 2013

7-     X3 applicant take up the oath on March of 2013

8-     X2 applicant who applied in January of 2010 is still waiting without seeing any light at the end of tunnel.

9-     Justice is served in the eyes of the CIC officer, equality and fair opportunity for all applicants is just a statement but when it comes to practice, then applicants such as X2 is out of the equation.

If we can’t do our jobs properly, then we need help, why not look at the British System as an example or get consultations of how we can improve the citizenship process for X2. Which are thousands of humans believed in our Canadian system and came here to start a new prosperous life looking for equality and fair opportunity… Government let them in on the immigration basis then we get them stuck on citizenship basis.    

If there is an intention to clear backlogs then they will be cleared in no time. If the intention is to screen applicants all the way to the core to filter out fraud cases then its also doable in reasonable time. There are tens of thousands of Canadians without jobs and thousands of them are highly qualified to join CIC, why not we do something about it, why don’t we increase citizenship fees so that the processing fees are covered.

Edited by HuronBird - 27 Mar 2013 at 11:55am
RQ0712 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RQ0712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 12:24pm
A country built by immigrants gives hard time to immigrants. How nice!
May be they want the highly skilled PRs who are in the endless backlog to return back to their countries and stop paying taxes in Canada.

Have you guys watched an interview with Rick Dykstra? He says they wanted people to appreciate the opportunity of becoming a Canadian and so they added more restrictions to the process. 

Does it mean that they think people have to be punished for nothing to start appreciate the opportunity?

Application sent Jan 2011 > In process Feb 2012 > Test & RQ same day Jun 2012 > RQ submitted Aug 2012 > Oath taken Nov 2013 (Montreal)
Andream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 12:47pm
There's no doubt that CIC is a very respected and professional civil service agency. Unfortunately, however, the unusual lengthy processing of citizenship applications, especially for RQ recipients, is totally incomprehensible. As a FSW- PR for more than five years, I never imagined that processing a citizenship application might take longer than processing an immigration application.
RQ0712 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RQ0712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 12:56pm
Can they in CIC imagine another civil agency - Revenue Canada - having a backlog of many million cases adding up every year? When they expect to get their first return?

Application sent Jan 2011 > In process Feb 2012 > Test & RQ same day Jun 2012 > RQ submitted Aug 2012 > Oath taken Nov 2013 (Montreal)
EasyRider View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 1:06pm
They want PR's to come and start spending money in Canada and/or generating tax revenue above all. That's why PR program hasn't suffered from cuts at all-- by that I mean number of new PR's admitted to Canada break records each year.

In case of granting citizenship-- it's PR's getting additional rights and privileges for nothing, so government doesn't hurry with that at all.

I think it's a shortsighted policy (neglected citizenship process), because immigrants who never set a foot into Canada arriving here, move not because they're in love with country (they never actually seen and lived in before), and not because their dear cousin lives here, but for concrete opportunities and rights in exchange for hard work, at least to start from that sort of companionship.

Now, when rumors spread about how Canadian immigration works, i.e. excessive marketing abroad, but poor recognition of foreign credentials at the same time, deplorable handling of FSW and now citizenship applications, less productive people (who usually have a choice where to go) will choose to come here, opting out for the US, UK or Australia, for example.

Believe me, nobody wants to trust their fate to an immigration system that's in practice so incredibly slow, unpredictable and barely accountable. But apparently it does't bother current government much.

What I find disappointing is that as citizenship application process is tightly related to the value of citizenship itself, which is supposed to be held in high regard by both Canada and the immigrants, Canadian government tainted it by managing to make it a complete joke over the years of neglecting. Telling people that it may take 23+48 months to process a lodged application like it's ok? That's just miserable.
exempligrata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exempligrata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 3:53pm

Originally posted by EasyRider EasyRider wrote:

Believe me, nobody wants to trust their fate to an immigration system that's in practice so incredibly slow, unpredictable and barely accountable. But apparently it does't bother current government much.

...and don't forget CIC's lack of transparency and antiquated ecas system that doesn't efficiently disclose the exact stage of processing and complete reason for delay in a timely manner. The information that most applicants in limbo seek can be made available on ecas without one having to call CIC every time, and would therefore allay one's concerns or fears.

We want to know what is going on with our individual files; for example, the full reason an applicant received an RQ (without having to request for GCMS/FOSS notes). Are we not at least entitled to that? 

Edited by exempligrata - 27 Mar 2013 at 4:05pm
Applied.......Mar 2013
In Process....May 2013
Test..........Feb 2014
Oath..........Mar 2014
Passport......In 5 business day's
The King View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 4:07pm
Speaking of entitlement,I have posted this question before without any replies. So I will try again here. "Do PR's have any rights? if any what are they? I know there are lots of responsibilities right? please someone shed some lights with reference to the Law. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic