Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Spousal sponsorship - re interview and paperwork
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spousal sponsorship - re interview and paperwork

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pluckyduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spousal sponsorship - re interview and paperwork
    Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 9:13pm
Hi,

This is in relation to the sponsorship of my wife, who is in China, and being handled by the HK visa office.  Just wanted to update that progress is being made.  We've received a letter in April asking for copies of her photo, unsigned.  I corresponded with them via email and made a couple of inquiries with timely responses with regard to receipt of documents that I've sent.  She got a letter 2 months ago in the mail giving notice she is placed in a queue for possible interview.

Yesterday my wife received an email notice that she has an interview time and date set up.  Since she only speaks Cantonese we will be hiring an interpreter for that morning.  Hope the cost is nothing outrageous, not sure if they charge by the hour or how it works.

Two PDF files were sent as attachments in the email.  One is a dated PDF, created 2010, defining what each of us should bring with us to the meeting.  That looks like standard fare.  The other one is the one that concerns me, and I am not sure if it's templated wording or specific to my case.  It reads "Based on your submission to date, you have failed to satisfy an officer that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.  In order to determine if you comply with Canadian immigration requirements, it will be necessary for you to attend an interview..."

My concern is is it because I helped her fill out her sponsorship form without identifying myself as a "representative" and didn't fill out the "Use of a Representative" IMM5476 form?  They state failure to disclose this will result in 2yr period of inadmissibility.  I seriously hope that is not the case.  

For those who've went for an interview in the Hong Kong visa office, generally how long does the interview take?  Since I am going with my wife, do I still need an interpreter?  What is the process if after the officer is satisfied with the genuinity of the relationship, is status granted immediately or is there still a "go home and wait" period?  Her interview is on Oct 15th and I will be leaving on November 3rd back to Canada.  I wish to bring her back with me, but I don't want to get her hopes up too high and set her up for disappointment.  

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.  
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 7:37am
I'll help with one question.

No - the "Use of a Representative" IMM5476 form bit certainly shouldn't be a problem. I filled out all of my forms on behalf of my husband (he reviewed them) and I didn't fill out an IMM5476.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
chipsfan7mary4 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipsfan7mary4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 10:01am
Hello.  My wife went through Hong Kong in November 2008.  I went with her too.  She had an interview and got the visa the same day.  Generally that is not the case from what our interpreter said.  I believe the interpreter was $2000.00 Hong Kong Dollars.  That covered 2 hours of time if I remember.  Our interview took 15 minutes or so.  Not normal.  You will not need an interpreter as the VO's all speak English.  The fact you are going will help out a lot.  My wife did come back with me.  In fact she got the last seat from Hong Kong to Canada.  Make sure you take your passport to the embassy as they will not let you in without it.  Also your wife may need a visa to travel to Hong Kong.  My wife needed one as all mainlanders did back when she had her interview.  It may have changed.

I looked back at the old forum and looked at my post.

http://www.immigration.ca/discussion2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42945

"Based on your submission to date, you have failed to satisfy an officer that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.  In order to determine if you comply with Canadian immigration requirements, it will be necessary for you to attend an interview..."

This is a total generic statement and my wife's said the same when she got her letter for an interview.  It worried me until someone told me it is the same for everyone. 

I filled out all the sponsor forms and information help my wife with her English on her forms as well.  I wrote all her ideas and information in English and then she copied it onto the applicant forms.  My wife wrote he own personal letters and I did not correct any errors.  Here English was pretty good back then and even though we wanted to forms to look good, we thought personal thoughts should be in her English.  I did all the spreadsheets, organize all the pictures and corrected all the mistakes.  I do not think you need to worry about the representative form as CIC knows husband and wife work on it together and one of the couple will do more then the other.  As long as there are no lies and falsehoods it should be okay.

If you need anything else let me know as we have saved everything, including the information on booking an interpreter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic