Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Business / Investor Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

self employed musician PR?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: self employed musician PR?
    Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 6:37pm
Hi guys,

A newbie in the forum here. A little bit of my background: I graduated with a Bachelor degree in music from York U, and now I have a post graduation open work permit until August 2013.

Right now I'm self employed as a musician and guitar teacher. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience or know anything about applying Permanent Residency under self-employed category as a musician. The requirements in CIC website are pretty loose, such as "self-employed activity", "participation in world class cultural activities". I have a hard time understanding these and trying to figure out how to prove my self-employment and my involvement in musical activities.

Another thing, can you guys recommend any lawyer/law firm in Toronto that has a good reputation in self-employed application? I already talked to a couple that said they can help me, but I'm not 100% sure. I just don't want to get scammed and ripped off. It's quite a lot of money.

Thank you

Edited by guitarguy - 22 Jun 2012 at 6:39pm
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 7:30pm
If you have not already reviewed OP 8 ("Entrepreneur and Self-Employed" - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/m...8-eng.pdf) and OB 430 ("Centralized Intake of Federal Self-employed Persons Class and Quebec Business Class Applications" - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/m...ob430.asp) I would do so.

Section 6.15 of OP 8 defines "self-employed" as:

Quote A “self-employed person” means a foreign national who has relevant experience and has the intention and ability to be self-employed in Canada and to make a significant contribution to specified economic activities in Canada.
“Relevant experience” in respect of a) a self-employed person, other than a self-employed person selected by a province, means a minimum of two years of experience, during the period beginning five years before the date of application for a permanent resident visa and ending on the day a determination is made in respect of the application, consisting of
(i) in respect of cultural acitivities,
(A) two one-year periods of experience in self-employment in cultural acitivities,
(B) two one-year periods of experience in participation at a world class level in cultural
activities, or
a combination of a one-year period of experience described in clause (A) and a one year period of experience described in clause (B),

Section 11 describes the criteria for evaluating a self-employed person, including what it means to be "world class" and so forth. My reading was that if you can qualify, this is a very easy class in which to immigrate (requiring a points score of 35 out of 100.)

I don't know of any attorneys in Toronto specializing in this type of work so I did what I have done in the past - I looked at court decisions for attorneys demonstrating experience at Federal Court level in the specific area. One I ran across is http://www.leecompany.ca/ - I don't know anything about them, other than finding a case in which they were successful in overturning a decision against their client (a self-employed engineer). Very few attorneys practice in Federal Court and doing so successfully is at least one positive indicator.

Others may have suggestions as well.

Good luck!
FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
guitarguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 1:38am
thanks for the info... but the link doesn't work and that's exactly what I need to know. What does world class mean, and how frequent do I have to "participate" in a year to be considered having the appropriate experience etc etc
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 12:18am
I'm not sure why the links don't work.  Use the terms in the search dialog box on the CIC website and they lead you to the forms (even if they MOVE the forms, which is distinctly possible.)

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
immgcan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immgcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 2:39pm
you can apply to get canadian PR under self employed program.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic