Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR renewal procedure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nureya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 1:46pm
Given this, if you are serious about permanently settling in Canada, it seems odd that you would risk a Residency Examination by applying for a new PR card when you are cutting it so close. Why not wait? Why not stay put in Canada and give yourself a margin well over 730 days and apply for the new PR card in September say? (You do not need to have a valid PR card in possession as long as you stay in Canada.) 

**** You are right...but the PR processing time is 65 days as of now. If i apply in September it may get stuck and i will not be able to visit family for thanksgiving and christmas..So i thought its better to apply now, because i am clearly above 730 days ..

It seems even more odd that you would risk a negative decision at a POE, potentially resulting in the issuance of a Removal Order, just to take a holiday, a not-so-short holiday (a full two weeks plus) actually (for most working and middle-class persons in Canada, two weeks is NOT a "short" vacation, maybe not a long holiday, but not a short one either). 

******In the passport entry from 2010 i clearly crossed 730 + days...still do u think they will send me to secondary inspection and issue a removal order....Last 2 times when i entered , no questions at all and everything went fine..Its really confusing and no one has clear cut answer...

Edited by nureya - 30 Jun 2012 at 3:41pm
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 3:37pm
Ultimately, the choice is yours.  People can give you advice, but no matter YOU have to live with the consequences of your choices.  If you are right, you won't have any problems.  If you are wrong, you can always reapply for permanent residency to Canada.

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
nureya View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nureya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 3:41pm
Agreed..thanks Greek.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 5:12pm

Quote nureya:
Quote In the passport entry from 2010 i clearly crossed 730 + days...still do u think they will send me to secondary inspection and issue a removal order....Last 2 times when i entered , no questions at all and everything went fine..Its really confusing and no one has clear cut answer...

The answers are fairly clear cut, because the obligation is clear cut, the burden of proof is clear (on you), and most of the more salient factors are clear.

The answer is not definitive because there is no guarantee.

And, the facts are not that clear: on one hand you are asking about whether dates of entry and exit count, suggesting that your compliance with the residency obligation is by a very narrow margin, and yet you just say "In the passport entry from 2010 i clearly crossed 730 + days."

If you have definitely complied with the residency obligation and all indications are consistent with that, that you have complied with being present in Canada 730+ days within the previous five years, there is little if anything to worry about.

But your queries seem to paint a picture of borderline compliance.

Since you mention "Thanksgiving" as a significant holiday for visiting family, I wonder if that is in the U.S., and I wonder what nation's passport you carry. If you are a U.S. citizen and you have been regularly crossing the border showing your PR card, odds are you will continue to have few if any problems.

But that is about the odds, about risks, not about guarantees.

Some things to remember:

Burden of proof is on the PR.

Dates of entry and exit are good evidence but not conclusive; many people manage to leave or return with no stamps in the travel document they are presenting to CIC or CBSA. The technology and implementation are not perfect, so not all border crossing events are captured. In other words, there is no definitive, guaranteed complete record of every exit and entry. So what evidence of exits and entries a PR does have mostly show at least those exits and entries but whether or not CIC or CBSA suspects others as well depends on the entirety of the circumstances and the PR's history.

(Your PR history seems, though it is not all that clear, to suggest you have been outside Canada more than you have been inside Canada. So if there is any doubt about how many days you have been in Canada, to some extent the probabilities lean toward an inference you were not in Canada.)

If and when the question is in issue:
It is not what you know, it is what you can prove.

You do not absolutely need a PR card to travel abroad. If you are solidly in compliance with the PR residency obligation, you can obtain a TD (PR Travel Document) while abroad to facilitate your return to Canada. Indeed, if you are abroad in the States you do not even need to apply for a TD if you are going to drive across the border into Canada or even if you fly if you have a U.S. passport (technically even a U.S. passport carrying PR is supposed to show the PR card to board a flight to Canada from the U.S. but as a practical matter I think showing the U.S. passport gets you on the plane).

Moreover, you can also apply for urgent processing of the PR card application as soon as you have actually purchased transportation for travel abroad. Of course, if they have doubts about compliance with residency obligation, that can stall the process.

Finally: remember that days in Canada more than five years ago drop out of the days that count toward meeting the residency obligation. I am guessing that you spent at least several days in Canada following landing July 9, 2007, and those days are soon going to cease counting toward your time in Canada.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
nureya View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nureya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 5:48pm

Thanks

Edited by nureya - 09 Jul 2012 at 7:37pm
nureya View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nureya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 7:36pm

Finally i applied for renewal today.. Thanks for all your help guys.

Lets hope the best.

Nureya
700days View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 700days Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 1:48am
Hello,
Please reply to my following concern:
1: PR card is renewed from the date, on which we apply for renewal OR from the date, on which we receive PR card OR from the expire date of the original PR card?
2: How many months before the expiry of PR card we can send for renewal of card?
3: How much time/months it takes for renewal of PR card?

Eg:
1: Expiry Date on PR card is 30th December, 2012.
2: If one submits request for renewal of PR card on 1st August, 2012, the new PR card will be
    renewed from 30th December, 2012  OR 1st August 2012 OR some other date?
3: Expiry Date on PR card is 30th December, 2012. How many months before 30th Dec, 2012, one
    can send request for renewal of PR card?

Thanks!
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by 700days 700days wrote:

Hello,
Please reply to my following concern:

1: PR card is renewed from the date, on which we apply for renewal OR from the date, on which we receive PR card OR from the expire date of the original PR card?

2: How many months before the expiry of PR card we can send for renewal of card?

Eg:

2: If one submits request for renewal of PR card on 1st August, 2012, the new PR card will be     renewed from 30th December, 2012  OR 1st August 2012 OR some other date?

3: Expiry Date on PR card is 30th December, 2012. How many months before 30th Dec, 2012, one     can send request for renewal of PR card?

Thanks!

Check: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/index.asp

700days View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 700days Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 1:51pm
Hellp Canvis2006,

Thanks for the link. However, it does not provide answers of any of my questions. Thanks, though, for your time in reading my questions.

Again, if any one can please help and answer on following:

Eg:
2: If one submits request for renewal of PR card on 1st August, 2012, the new PR card will
    be renewed from 30th December, 2012  OR 1st August 2012 OR some other date?
3: Expiry Date on PR card is 30th December, 2012. How many months before 30th Dec, 2012,
    one can send request for renewal of PR card?

Thanks!

jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 8:48pm

The new PR card will be valid for 5 years from the date the new card is printed. So a date some time after the approval. It has nothing to do with the current card.

It depends. Because of the processing times (was ~180 days in 2011) I would apply at least number of days processing time + 90 days in advance. Currently 70 days for renewal + 90 days = 160 days ahead of expiry date.

Check out the current processing time on their website and add 90 days for receiving pick up notification.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic