Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR renewal procedure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 6:22pm

Quote richa:
Quote Lines for travel history and personal history - 20 & 21 are just 4 lines!! can't believe it...
Can i include a word doc with all details and type 'ATTACHED AS SEPARATE SHEET' in the box 20 & 21??
Or should i fill the 4 lines and include the rest of the lines in a word doc...??

Best approach, I think, is to make photocopies of the page with items 20 and 21, as many as necessary, mark them clearly as continuations (along top print, boldly, clearly, something like "Page 2a of Page 2 continued" for one, then "page 2b of Page 2 continued" for the next one; I would also put my name and file number across the top as well ). Then you just fill in the boxes.

Yeah, the form is remarkably truncated in this regard. I get the impression that whoever is composing forms at CIC these days has left their thinking cap at the Pub or something.

Quote richa:
Quote IMM5444E can be filled and printed but IMM5455 cannot be typed and printed...so we need to write by hand in form IMM5455, am I correct??

Not sure why you cannot type into the form downloaded from the website and print. Works for me (just tried it). Did you get the form from the link on this page? (This form only recently became available online; not too long ago applicants had to obtain this in hard copy from CIC.)

Photo specifications are clearly set out in Appendix B of the guide (this is link to guide), including, for example, how the photgrapher is to include the date the photograph was taken on the back. The name of the applicant goes on envelope in which the photos are to be enclosed, as stated in the Gather Documents part of the Guide. Similar instructions given for IMM 5455.

Photo specs are also here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/5445EB-e.pdf

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
richa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 9:26am
Thanks a bunch Dpenabill...

Ok, I agree with travel and work history, I will make the changes.

IMM5455 - Yes I did download from the same link, we can type but when we save it it says ' we need to sign the form digitally... so is this correct?? Do we have to digitally sign or sign manually??'

This point leads to another question, does this form need a signature as well??

Dpenabill - Please try to save the file, you will understand what am trying to say...

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 1:15pm

Quote richa:
Quote Please try to save the file, you will understand what am trying to say...

You need to print not save. These forms are not intended to be saved except as blank forms.

I elaborate some below.

Quote richa:
Quote IMM5455 - Yes I did download from the same link, we can type but when we save it it says ' we need to sign the form digitally... so is this correct?? Do we have to digitally sign or sign manually??'

Note, I have not used these forms other than to type in them and doing a test print. CIC has modified most of their online forms in the last two years or so, some much more recently (including the application for PR card renewal, and as I said above, IMM 5455 has only recently become available online) and I am not particularly familiar with the practical aspects of these changes. Moreover, I am not much familiar with using those forms requiring digital signatures . . . .

That said, I wonder to what extent you are carefully reading and following instructions, and reading the forms. For example, I see no box on the Supplementary Identification form (IMM 5455) for a signature, just name, DoB, Height, Eye colour, and Date of permanent residence . . . everything else on the form is for CIC. No signature.

Generally, for forms the user will print and mail, the CIC forms are intended to be used and printed in a single session, not saved with changes (even though there is software available which will allow a person to save the forms with changes, that is not, as I understand it, the way CIC intends the forms to be used); so you can type in information into the forms, print, and if necessary hand print additional information into the form after printing.

Similarly for the application itself (IMM 5444), I think you need to enter your information and print the form in a single session (make no attempt to save) and after printing you sign the completed, printed form, making the declaration as stated (and that declaration, in particular, needs to be carefully read and understood . . . remember, a material misrepresentation in submitting this form, including one by omission, is grounds for losing PR status and criminal prosecution, so be sure you understand what you are declaring). Again, additional information may be hand printed into the form after it has been printed.

Mostly, though, go through the guide and forms slowly, carefully, making sure you understand them as well as you can, and FOLLOW the INSTRUCTIONS!
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 1:31pm
By the way: for all such forms it is a good idea to work through rough drafts (unless very simple and straightforward, minimal detail involved, like the supplemenary identification form). Printing a blank form, making a couple copies, and working through in rough draft a couple times really helps a person to avoid making mistakes . . . although to really take advantage of this way of doing things, be sure to not mechancially copy from one draft to the next, but conscientiously complete the separate drafts.

I realize that this seems like a lot of extra work . . . but actually it is not that much extra work, and I find that the forms make a lot more sense the second time through a rough draft than they would even if I just read through them ten times.

I also realize that life is complicated and busy enough . . . been there, done that, done that, done that again and again. Just doing taxes and the accounting for my business totally wears me out, year in and year out. But, these are important aspects of an immigrant's life. It is important to get it right. Remember, anything that is submitted in an application for PR card renewal will be examined and compared to everything that individual has put into a citizenship application . . . and likewise the other direction.   

richa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 3:27pm
IMM5444E- "Please fill out the following form. You can save data typed into this form"
=== So this form can be saved and filled and printed then it can be signed.

IMM5455 - "click 'sign' to fill out and sign the form. when you are done, you can save a copy by clicking 'done signing"
==== So as you said, it is good to fill online and print it and not save!! Since it is a simple form it is easy to type and print all at the same time.

Thanks dpenabill for your reply..this really makes sense and helped me.

For the photos, yes there is no signature. only date has to be printed at the backside of picture which is already done by the photographer!
goal80 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goal80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 10:27am
I need to renew my PR card.

Some stamps on my passport are in foreign language, should I include a certified translation along with my application ?

If yes, may I send just the copy of this translation (not the original) ?
I already submitted the original translation to the CIC for my citizenship RQ

Thanks for your help
jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 1:40pm
Read the application manual!
I am not sure if ot has been recently updated, as the procedure has changed since April 2012.

But if it is still the same as last year, you do not require any supporting documents. Just the completed application form and whatever is required in the checklist!

If they are satisfied, you will most likely get the new card by mail and if they want a bit more, they will invite you for pick up and request documents for the pick up appointment. From what I read, that seems to be the current procedure.
akella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by jogruni jogruni wrote:

But if it is still the same as last year, you do not require any supporting documents. Just the completed application form and whatever is required in the checklist!

Now they ask for two years of CRA notices of assessment as residency proof, and don't remember what they say about translations.
goal80 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goal80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 2:33pm
Now they need translation of any documents not in french or english.
And all the passport  pages are required !

Some stamps in the passport are in a foreign language... Should I include a translation for those stamps ?

Edited by goal80 - 23 Aug 2012 at 2:34pm
jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 2:45pm
Now I can remember, that there were comments on that in combination with the new PR renewal procedures.

I just checked the new guide:
Yes they ask for passport stamps. Unfortunately when the stamps are not in english, you have to provide translations. But is there really no english word on the stamp?

Also I do not understand, why the request the stamps. Everyone that knows the CBSA procedures, and that even Canadian CBSA is not always stamping passports of PRs. (I have only 33% of my entries stamped!). Canada does not even check the exit at all. EU countries do not stamp their citizens passports either, so I have 0% stamps when entering EU (=exit Canada + 1 day).

Having said that passport stamps are the least possible proof for anything except you were in Canada on the date stamped on entry, but could have left again without any trace on the same day.
To me this is just a waste of time and money (for translations) to even ask for it.

I just hope that CIC is aware of that situation. Federal court decisions indicate that the court does not know about this practice, as they appear to put too much attention to missing stamps in their decisions.
From my point of vew presence or absence of stamps have just a minor relevance. Yes when there is a stamp, but you did not declare absence, that could be a problem, but it still could be a day trip to the US, that you do not have to declare (in fact there is no way to do that properly in the existing form).

Edited by jogruni - 23 Aug 2012 at 3:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic