Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which residency should I use to sponsor my spouse?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which residency should I use to sponsor my spouse?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bscheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which residency should I use to sponsor my spouse?
    Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 1:32am

I need some advice on the best approach here.
I am a Canadian\Australian dual citizen and my place of residence is in Canada. However have been 'visiting' my spouse in Australia since August 2011 (almost 8 months). We got married 28/12/11. We have travelled back to Canada once in that time. My spouse is an Australian citizen and resident. We are applying for permenant residency for her and plan to move to Canada straight after that.
At this point I can prove my residency in both countries - driver's licence, healthcard, ect.

My question is; Is it better to fill in the application as a resident of Canada or a non-resident of Canada?

One thing is, when we move to Canada we will be staying at my parents house(that's my place of residence)so I don't have a mortgage or rental agreement and I won't have any job or schooling lined-up ahead of time. So if I say i'm am Aussie resident, i'm not sure how to prove we are planning to move to Canada straight away.

Kangaroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kangaroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 5:06am
Hi, I'm no expert, but I would apply as a Canadian resident if you are sponsoring your Australian wife.

I would love to offer you more help. I'm Australian & my fiance is Canadian. Good luck!
Have a great day!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic