Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question regarding visa at port of entry (airport)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question regarding visa at port of entry (airport)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moz81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question regarding visa at port of entry (airport)
    Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 1:10pm
Hi

Thank you in advance. I am from the UK and i'm looking to move over to Canada in a months time. I have a job offer (IT based) and the company have just acquired the approved LMO. Waiting for the LMO has taken a few months as you'd expect, so rather than do all the paper work and post it to the Canadian embassy in the UK which can can up to an additional 2 months, i'm looking to get the working visa done at the port of entry to speed the process up. I am going to hire a visa company (global visa) to sort of the paper work before the flight for piece of mind that i'll have all the documentation i need in order. What i need to know is what to do next. Is it as simple as I fly to the airport with the job offer, LMO and paper work and deal with the visa there or do i need to inform the airport in advance. Information on port of entry i have found vague so any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Gareth
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 1:52pm
Hi

Originally posted by Moz81 Moz81 wrote:

HiThank you in advance. I am from the UK and i'm looking to move over to Canada in a months time. I have a job offer (IT based) and the company have just acquired the approved LMO. Waiting for the LMO has taken a few months as you'd expect, so rather than do all the paper work and post it to the Canadian embassy in the UK which can can up to an additional 2 months, i'm looking to get the working visa done at the port of entry to speed the process up. I am going to hire a visa company (global visa) to sort of the paper work before the flight for piece of mind that i'll have all the documentation i need in order. What i need to know is what to do next. Is it as simple as I fly to the airport with the job offer, LMO and paper work and deal with the visa there or do i need to inform the airport in advance. Information on port of entry i have found vague so any help will be appreciated.Regards,Gareth

1. Well it is your money to throw around to Global Visa.
2. All you need is the LMO, your passport, the job offer.
3. No you don't need an appointment. At the primary inspection line, you tell the officer that you are there for a work permit, and they will direct you to the Immigration section.
PMM
Moz81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moz81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 6:41pm
Thanks for the information PMM. Please may i ask what your background is in terms of this knowledge. From the CIC website theres a fair amount of paper work needed as well as a few additions like police checks. I know it is a lot of money to pay Global Visa, but as i said its purely for piece of mind ensuring i haven't left any stone unturned.

Regards,

Gareth
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 8:24pm
PMM is one of the most knowledgeable members of this forum (if not THE most knowledgeable).

I would be careful with Global Visa. They don't have the greatest reputation (Google: global visa rip off, global visa complaints). They may create more problems than they solve. And they're going to charge you a great deal of money for something you can do yourself.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
Moz81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moz81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:00am
Hey guys,

Ok i've got rid of Global Visa. After i spoke with the case manager and went through what they'll actually be doing they pretty much told me i should do it myself. So i'm on my own. My worry is making some silly school boy error so i'm posting here to check that i'm heading in the right direction.

1. Downloaded documents for temporary work permit at:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp
2. I have the job offer and LMO. Is there anything i need to check with regards to the job offer that will meet the canada gov requirements.
3. Police checks
4. Medical examination - I'm not sure if i need this though as i'm sure i read that IT roles do not need this.
5. Dated education/ degree certificate.

Are the forms i've got from no.1 the correct forms and is there anything else you think i have missed that will aid/ is required in my application.

Regards,

Gareth
Moz81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moz81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:41am
Just to add to my previous post, the job offer the company has offered me is for a permanent position. From looking at this site :

http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-temporary-work-visa.html

....based on a permanent position am i right in believing that i would need to go through full immigration which can potentially take a while or can i be employed on the temporary work visa/ permit.
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 1:54am
You can come as a temporary foreign worker. You can apply for the permanent residency later. If you're a citizen of the UK then you don't need a visa but you need a work permit. Have your LMO and job offer/contract.

Originally posted by Moz81 Moz81 wrote:

Just to add to my previous post, the job offer the company has offered me is for a permanent position. From looking at this site :http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-temporary-work-visa.html....based on a permanent position am i right in believing that i would need to go through full immigration which can potentially take a while or can i be employed on the temporary work visa/ permit.
"I shall pass this way but once. Therefore, any good that I can do or any kindness that I can show, let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic