Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Re-entering Canada without PR card

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerryfromktown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re-entering Canada without PR card
    Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 6:35pm
Hi

I understand if I leave without a valid PR card (mine has expired), the commercial airlines will let me travel home as I have a German passport (visa-exempt country). And I understand the Canadian Immigration officer at the point-of-entry can allow me back into the country if they are satisfied that I am a permanent resident (i.e., they can check the database).

Has anyone tried this?

I want to fly to Denver in May, and there is no way I can get a renewal with the current processing times at 119(!) days. Plus I have to wait two weeks for the Supplementary Identification form IMM 5455 ...

Advice please!

Gerry
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 11:45pm
Is the copy of COPR (IMM5292) stapled in the passport near the immigrant visa page in your passport?

There are instructions on how to obtain PR card urgently if you can include proof of travel.

You better make sure you are in compliance of residency obligations before you leave Canada without the PR card. The onus, ofcourse, is on YOU to be able to prove that.....

Check CIC website for instructions on how to apply for a PR card with faster processing....
gerryfromktown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerryfromktown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 8:56am
Hi Canvis

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have an expired passport with an IMM 1000 form stapled, dating to 1998 (and I have tax records to prove continuous residency since then)

I see from the CIC website that "Urgent Processing" can be requested with proof of travel, simply by enclosing proof and writing "Urgent - Proof of travel included" the envelope. Obviously I will do this right away. How long would "Urgent Processing" take - does anyone know?

I still have to wait for that IMM 5455 to be mailed to me!

Gerry
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 10:04am
Hi Gerry,

Apply now, and include the travel proof, etc
Also apply for the IMM5455.

I am assuming you are not interested in getting Canadian citizenship due to your German nationality....
gerryfromktown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerryfromktown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 9:21pm
Thanks Canvis

I have applied for the IMM 5455 - until that arrives I cannot go a step further.

Yes, I will lose my German Passport if I become Canadian. 

Thanks again for the help.
recluce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recluce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 1:08am
Originally posted by gerryfromktown gerryfromktown wrote:

Thanks Canvis

I have applied for the IMM 5455 - until that arrives I cannot go a step further.

Yes, I will lose my German Passport if I become Canadian. 

Thanks again for the help.

Sorry for digging up this stale thread, but this might still be important for gerry.

While it is true that you will loose your German passport by actively acquiring another citizenship you can get a waiver IF you apply and obtain the waiver BEFORE you apply for your Canadian citizenship. You can apply for the waiver at any German consulate/embassy. You also need to prove continuing ties to Germany. 

Such ties are:

- Real Estate owned in Germany

- Family in Germany 

- Partner in a German company (this one is a bit tentative)

Consult a German immigration lawyer before applying for the waiver!

I am basically in the same boat you are in. I just became a permanent resident and would be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship in two years.

cellerca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cellerca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 12:01am
hi whats the difference between pr card and visa ?
cellerca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cellerca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 11:44am
yes at airport they did attach 5292 in my passport next to vosa page as i was using a passport a lot for all paper work my passport pages was getting demage by 5292 so i took it off and place 5292 in separate file is that ok to do that or does it have to be in passport

thanks
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 1:22pm
its ok to carry it with you, it does not have to be in passport.
But ensure you do not lose it, as it will be needed in future for afew purposes (pension in old age, citizenship, etc)
FelixRicherd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FelixRicherd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 5:20am
Yes they can leave Canada before receiving their PR cards. PR cards can not be mailed to address outside Canada. They need their PR cards to re-enter Canada otherwise, they need to get a Canadian travel documents.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic