Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waiting for PR card after landing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgupta87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waiting for PR card after landing
    Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 10:29pm
Hi,

I received my COPR and immigration visa few weeks back and it is valid till 28th March 2018. We are planning to travel to Canada during last week of September'17. However, we need to return back to our current base country (India) to sell off our house and to deal with certain job commitments.

We were told that once we enter Canada, the immigration dept will take about 4-6 weeks to send PR card and were hence planning accordingly. However, it seems that it is taking more than 12 weeks nowadays.

So, what can I do?

1. Can I give the mailing address of a known friend or relative in Canada to immigration? The PR card gets delivered to them and then they will courier it to me. I think this may be feasible but it is risky - what if the courier gets lost?

2. Can I leave Canada for India and then re-enter BEFORE the expiry date on COPR and Visa (i.e. Mar18). Will this be possible since my COPR and Visa are still valid?

3. Can I apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document? How long will it take to get this processed?

I need suggestions regarding what can I do because I have to be back in current base country by Nov'17.
Nicolas Rhiley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicolas Rhiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 8:59am
The terms of PR receiving can differ greatly from those indicated at the beginning It depends on the workload of governmental bodies.  On the CIC site, there is an option to check application processing times. And the term for issuing the first PR card is 61 days.If you need your card sooner, you can apply for urgent processing.

When you enter Canada, you will be asked the address where to send permanent resident. If you plan to leave the whole family from Canada before receiving the PR card, then give the address of your friend in Canada, it's a common thing.  But be careful, leaving and re-entering Canada without PR cards. You should find out all the details before."Permanent residents returning to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus must show a valid Permanent Resident Card (PR card) or Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) before boarding."
Hope this information will help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic