Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wrong Date on Canadian stamp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claurianta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrong Date on Canadian stamp
    Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 2:17pm
Hello,

I applied for citizenship about a year ago. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with wrong dates on Canadian passport stamps. I entered May 2, but the stamp says Mar 2... clearly a case of the border official turning the stamp the wrong way. I have evidence of the May 2 entry with my CBSA records... but is there any way to avoid an RQ with the incorrect stamp? Anyone have experience with this? I have documentation that I visited a doctor in Ottawa a couple days before Mar 2, but no other records such as credit card or debit card usage because I was basically in bed recuperating.

I should add that I did apply with 1109 days of residence, so even if they deduct the couple days between my doctor's visit and the wrond Mar 2 stamp, I'm still well over 1096.

Edited by claurianta - 23 Apr 2013 at 2:18pm
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 3:16pm
If you have the CBSA travel history, and the documentation about the visit with the doctor days prior to the erroneous date stamp, and you give a clear explanation that this is an error you just recently noticed if you are asked about this stamp during the documents check / interview, and otherwise there is nothing tending to cause CIC to have questions or concerns, you should not have a problem because of this one stamp.

Of course, how it goes in particular for you will be affected by a wide, wide range of other factors, so there is no guarantee, no way to specifically assure you that you will not get RQ. All I can say is that I doubt this little thing will be an issue unless there are other aspects, other factors, that tend to raise issues.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 3:30pm
I should have noted, just an aside really, that unfortunately whether or not there is a problem (as in RQ being issued), it is not likely that CIC would recalculate days present and not give RQ based on deducting a few days with the remainder still over 1095. Basically it comes down to whether or not CIC perceives reason to question the accuracy and completeness of the applicant's declarations, and that tends to come down to either accepting or not accepting the declarations as true. Even if you applied with 1309 days of actual, physical presence, if CIC were to perceive the stamp as indicating you did not report all absences, the risk of RQ would be almost as high as having applied with 1109 days declared present. Many seem to not be aware of this, that once the declaration is for 1095 days, what matters most is whether or not CIC perceives there to be a possibility the applicant did not declare all absences.

This is about significant mistakes or discrepancies. I do not think CIC approaches this hypertechnically. But there are no hard and fast guidelines as to what the tipping point is, how much of a mistake causes a problem -- indeed, I think it varies from case to case depending on, again, a wide range of other factors in the case.

Example: if an applicant applies with a residency calculation declaring 1309 days actually, physically present, but fails to report a month long trip, 30 days absence, in the residency calculator, there is a high risk, then, for RQ. Does not matter that subtracting 30 days from the 1309 is still 184 or so more days present than the 1095 day threshold!

On the other hand, another example, if an applicant applies with a residency calculation of 1103 days and it turns out the applicant was off by two days in the date of return, and there are no other reasons why CIC has questions about the accuracy and completeness of the applicant's declarations, probably no problem at all.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
angrypolarbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angrypolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 3:38pm
claurianta, I had a similar issue with incorrect stamps, but it didn't come to my attention until I was preparing all the documentation for my RQ.  I don't know if that was a trigger (I apparently meet some of the other factors such as a period of unemployment), but I clearly explained the 3 incorrect stamps in my RQ submission, and provided other evidence to show that they were simple mistakes by the border officers.  If I learn anything about whether or not it cast doubt on my application, I'll be sure to update this forum.  Hopefully it's not an issue for you!
Received 25 Nov 11 | Started Processing 27 Nov 12 | RQ issued 15 Jan 13 | RQ response received by CIC 26 Feb 13

Fingerprints requested 2 Apr 13 | FP received by CIC 23 Apr 13 | Test Date 28 May 14
Glimmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 9:22pm
My spouse had an incorrect stamp in his passport as well (off by one day).  When he got RQ we included the CBSA report (which had the correct date) as well as the e-ticket for that trip also showing the departure and return dates, and a brief statement explaining that the passport stamp is wrong but that the dates he originally declared (which were correct) were confirmed by the CBSA report.

We don't know if the wrong passport stamp will still be an issue (could be a problem if someone only looks quickly) but we hope not.
SK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 12:30am
We had same issue....in rq response in the calculation excel print put we marked those and tok the conservative calc that is took more days out......in both cases IBM place they had added a day in other place they subtracted a day...I don't think a day or two matters as long as final calc is above 1100 with clear days to account for ...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic