Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skilled worker immigrants - english classes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drakeferna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skilled worker immigrants - english classes
    Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 1:31am
Hey guys,

Just asking this question for one of my friends. She immigrated to Canada as a skilled worker a couple of years ago. Stayed for a little while, and then returned to her home country to finish up a few things. Now she is back to Canada again and this time she is gonna stay permanently. As a skilled worker, she is not sure whether or not she is eligible for taking those gov't sponsored English classes (LINC, ESL, etc.). Her logic is that she submitted an English test score to cic when she applied to become a PR, so she had already demonstrated her English language ability. If she now decides to take their classes, they may not accept her on the grounds that she knows enough English already. She reads well, but she wants to improve her English level in terms of speaking and listening.

I have never had to take those classes so I have no clue. Are you guys familiar with this matter?

Thanks.
SARABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SARABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 5:42pm
Hi drakeferna ,
I am not sure if you have posted your question at the right forum but I am still going to answer it.
All PRs are eligible for ESL classes . In BC the classes offered are from literacy to level 7. The levels are according to the Canadian Language Benchmarks so level 7 means CLB 7.
These classes are free. For BC visit the following website for more info.
http://www.elsanet.org/esldirectory/
Have a great weekend,
Sarah
Applied Feb7th,2012 (Family of 4)
In Process Oct4th,2012
Husband RQ & finger print November 2012
File separated from husband August 2013
Hubby test Oct. 2013
MY test Dec. 2013
Joint oath March 2014

Intel View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 10:28pm
Did she keep a copy for her English test results that she submitted to PR application? If so, CIC will accept a photocopy of it for citizenship without having to take another test.
drakeferna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drakeferna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 12:55am
This is not really one of her concerns for now. She basically just wants to improve her English level at the moment.

Originally posted by Intel Intel wrote:

Did she keep a copy for her English test results that she submitted to PR application? If so, CIC will accept a photocopy of it for citizenship without having to take another test.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic