Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR Card Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR Card Issue
    Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 11:06pm
Hi All,

I have a very sensitive issue here.
Due to personal situation i did not need to travel outside of Canada for the last 7 years.
Never applied for a PR card before.  My old proof of landing was lost and replaced at the time with certified by CIS copy. 
The problem is. They need an original. Also they are asking to provide me with a last 5 years of my tax return which is fine but i only have assessments for the last 4 years.
I need to travel soon due to my fathers illness and have to apply for a travel document which can not be issued without PR card.
Took some legal advise and was told that i have to have 2 affidavits one of which should be signed by someone who knows me before i came to Canada (which is 11 years ago)

My question is what can be done to get a PR card as quickly as possible.
All help will be greatly appreciated.

greeny View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Albert41 Albert41 wrote:

Hi All,

Due to personal situation i did not need to travel outside of Canada for the last 7 years.
Never applied for a PR card before.  My old proof of landing was lost and replaced at the time with certified by CIS copy. 
The problem is. They need an original. Also they are asking to provide me with a last 5 years of my tax return which is fine but i only have assessments for the last 4 years.
I need to travel soon due to my fathers illness and have to apply for a travel document which can not be issued without PR card.
Took some legal advise and was told that i have to have 2 affidavits one of which should be signed by someone who knows me before i came to Canada (which is 11 years ago)

for assessments you can get them all online, just register with revenue canada and they will send you a password within 4 -5days, you can go to your account and print assessments for 5years

as for you landing document, I didn;t catch - you have a legal copy  just restored , right? as I can remember there is nothing said it must be an original

if you can proof that your trip is very urgent and have a real reason, they usually do it in 3 weeks, just look at urgent processing or smth like this at cic website, for sure you have to have a proof of your flight payment partial or full.

Edited by greeny - 04 Nov 2013 at 12:25am
landed: May, 2003

applied: Dec04,2009

test/RQ: Feb15,2011 st.clair
2nd RQ: Aug 2014
Total waiting time to oath: 60,5 months :)= 5 years and 14 days
oath- Dec , 2014
Albert41 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 12:29am
Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply. I will check it with revenue Canada tomorrow.
And yes i have a copy of my landing. Just realized it a copy of a certified copy.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 12:38am

Note: topic moved here, to the Preserving Permanent Residence conference, from the Citizenship conference.

Originally posted by Albert41 Albert41 wrote:

Never applied for a PR card before. My old proof of landing was lost and replaced at the time with certified by CIS copy.

I assume you have visited the relevant CIC web pages. But if you have not, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/index.asp this CIC page about obtaining a permanent resident card, and follow links to relevant information. Also see, in particular, this page: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-first-pr-card.asp

However, it appears that at least consulting with a lawyer is probably a good idea. If you have already, follow the lawyer's advice. A forum like this cannot offer better or more reliable information or advice than that provided by a licensed, experienced lawyer.

My sense is that you do not have a passport, and thus you need a "travel document" recognized as such internationally, that you need this to submit with the application for a PR card and you will need it in order to travel to destinations outside Canada.

To be clear, that is different from a PR travel document which PRs abroad apply for if they do not have a PR card and need authorization in order to board a flight destined for Canada, that is, in order to return to Canada. That is only good for travel to Canada.

The process for obtaining the PR card, for an individual who can provide the documents required which are largely about proving identity and compliance with the residency obligation, is relatively simple.

For someone without a passport, obtaining a passport or travel document can be a major hurdle in establishing identity. I believe there are alternative ways to do this. But, I also think it would be best to have a lawyer help you actually do this.

In order to travel outside Canada you will need a passport or internationally recognized travel document regardless of whether you have a Canadian PR card (at least usually -- the Canadian PR card is not a "travel document" recognized as such by most other countries). All the Canadian PR card accomplishes is being able to board a flight destined for Canada from a place outside Canada.

Sorry to hear about your father's illness. It really can be tough being separated not just by many miles but by the formalities imposed for crossing borders.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 1:06pm
This is not in answer to the original post, but it is related to the subject, so I thought I'd try to avoid the endless proliferation of new topics for related questions.

Has anyone had any experiences with delayed delivery of a renewed PR card?
My application for renewal was approved 6 weeks ago. CIC website and call center says that cards will be delivered (or available for pick up) within 4 weeks.

I've gotten no word. Last week I contacted the Call Centre. They said they'd send an inquiry but they couldn't tell me if a notice had been sent to me (and lost or delayed in the mail).

Let me know if any others have experienced similar situations. I know it's probably just a hiccup, but of course, unexplained delays are concerning.
Resources for Future Canadians & their Advocates: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com
canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 1:33pm
Yeah - mine was delayed for whatever reason. I waited and waited but had to travel so used my old one to re-enter the country (it had not expired yet at that point). Upon landing I was diverted into a CBPA office where they inquired why I entered on an "old" card. Apparently the new one arrived while I was travelling and was waiting for me at home.  
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 2:19pm

Originally posted by eileen eileen wrote:

Has anyone had any experiences with delayed delivery of a renewed PR card?
My application for renewal was approved 6 weeks ago. CIC website and call center says that cards will be delivered (or available for pick up) within 4 weeks.

I've gotten no word. Last week I contacted the Call Centre. They said they'd send an inquiry but they couldn't tell me if a notice had been sent to me (and lost or delayed in the mail).

Foremost, as best I understand things, there is NO cause for concern, not as yet anyway (and, actually, worst case scenario is having to visit the local office, present some documents such as ID and passport, answer a few perfunctory questions, and then given your new PR card -- techncially you could be referred for a residency examination but that would be extremely unlikely unless there is overt evidence you have made misrepresentations as to presence).

Unfortunately we do not have a lot of reports about the process involved in renewing PR cards, and the current process, pursuant to which the card is routinely mailed to most PRs, is actually a fairly recent change (time flies and I do not recall specifically, but no more than a year and a half or so ago all PRs had to go to the local office to obtain the PR card in person, after being notified that it was available).

The experience reported by canuck25 is similar to experiences reported by others. Also see, if you can find them, posts incuding reports of personal experience by jogruni.

I think the information you have simply reflects that Sydney has approved the issuance of the new PR card. The new card has to be physically issued as well, and that will ordinarily be mailed directly to you, but it may be mailed (referred, transferred) to the local office.

The few reports we have had here have indicated that it is not uncommon for PRs to see a status in eCas, or be told something by a call centre representative, indicating they would have to pick up the card from the local office, only to next get the PR card in the mail, not a notice to pick it up. So, there is no reason to worry as yet.

Additionally, because CIC's mailing practices are less than optimal, it is not uncommon for GCMS to reflect that something has been mailed when actually it is still just in a queue to be mailed. But, the information you have does not even yet indicate it has been mailed; there may be some additional delay involved between the date of issuance and the date of mailing, and again, the "date of mailing" may reflect the date the item goes into a queue to be mailed and the actually mailing will follow, and the time involved in this tends to be longer than what most would expect.

Frustrating: yes.

Of course I do not really know, but my sense is that when the call centre says that the card will be "delivered" that is likely to mean the date it will be mailed as opposed to actually delivered, which again is probably the date it is queued to be mailed, actual date of entering the mail system to follow. Moreover, as many have seen, such timelines indicated by CIC are often understated estimates.

If the card is not mailed to you directly, while it technically should be physically in the local office not much longer than the time they state, the few reports we have seen about this suggest that it will not be available for you to pick-up that soon. Even if you have to go to the local office to pick it up in person, that should not be a big deal. It would not surprise me that PRs who happen to also have a citizenship application in process are randomly selected to have to appear in person to pick up new PR cards, just as a quality control measure.

One caveat/caution:

PR cards are not mailed to any address other than the PR's residential address. CIC does look for indications that an address being used is that of a third party (including, for example, family or friend, or representatives authorized or not) and not the PR's actual residential address. PR cards will not be mailed to a P.O. Box.

For more information in this regard, see the various operational bulletins issued this year and last:

-- Operational Bulletin 536 – July 30, 2013
-- Operational Bulletin 491 - January 14, 2013
-- Operational Bulletin 412 - April 27, 2012

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 5:53pm
Thanks to Canuck25 and Dpenabill.

As ever, the lack of accountability is frustrating. The timeliness of PR card delivery isn't a huge issue, but it is a reminder to me of the CIC's uncanny ability to introduce unnecessary uncertainty into the lives of clients.

Resources for Future Canadians & their Advocates: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com
eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 11:41am
Update: I received a letter from CIC yesterday telling me to report in person to CIC on Nov. 26 in order to receive my PR card.
Timeline:
Applied: 26 July
Decision made: 4 Oct
Called CIC (inquired about status of my card since ecas states that cards or letters will be sent within 4 weeks of decision being made): 8 Nov
Letter sent: 15 Nov
Appt at CIC: 26 Nov

RussCan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RussCan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 2:08pm

They mail it to you novadays. The request to come in person means they want to interview you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic