Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why so rush?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why so rush?
    Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 2:33pm
I am just curious to find out why people are so eager to check their application status , posting on forums, calling people to find out when their Citizenship application will be processed.

I mean it will happen when it will happen, whats the rush? You are already a PR.

Are all these people want to get the passport and move to their home country (which is another topic of discussion)?

SK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by TheMan TheMan wrote:

I am just curious to find out why people are so eager to check their application status , posting on forums, calling people to find out when their Citizenship application will be processed.

I mean it will happen when it will happen, whats the rush? You are already a PR.

Are all these people want to get the passport and move to their home country (which is another topic of discussion)?

My friend ...this is because most of us are Human.......and consider this as big event in their life.....as with any big event in your life....there is anticipation, nervousness, excitement and of course dependencies on rest of the things to come in ones life.....may be tourism without needing a visa to Italy, Mexico....above all thrill of having a reached place which lot of us may have dreamt  for 10 years back ..........(2-4 Yrs for PR approval, 3-4 YRS for Application and 1-2 Yrs for Approval).......

THERE ARE LOT OF REASONS MY MAN>>>. 

Edited by SK - 23 Mar 2012 at 2:46pm
SarahBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SarahBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 2:59pm
Hi there Man,

I totally agree with SK!

We have come to Canada with dreams and a mission and we want that mission accomplished.

As for me I can sum up my reasons to the following:
* I promised my kids a trip to Disneyland and I do not want to pay the $180 for the visa nor do I want to wait for hours and hours just because I am not Canadian.
* I want to practice my right of voting and choose who would make Canada a better place for my kids.
* I want to apply for a government job and although I am qualified I can not do so because I am not yet Canadian.
* I left behind me a very well job and an established life and invested my time and effort in coming to Canada; I lived here paid taxes and did what I have to do as a good citizen and I want my reward Smile
I can go on and on and on with more reasons however I think what is mentioned should be enough to tell you why we wait impatiently & eagerly for our RIGHT to be Canadian,

Have a good day,

Sarah

Edited by SarahBC - 23 Mar 2012 at 3:02pm
TheMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 3:04pm
hmm..that is interesting and I appreciate your response.

Yes, it is a big event but an even bigger event was when you became a PR. You can move to Canada, work here, start up a business, raise a family, buy a house etc. I dont think becoming a Citizen is considered as a 'big event' where you are bugging the entire world for it and you need it now (unless you have other motives behind it).

You can still travel around the world if you really need to with a PR. We do it with no problems.

You already have your 'dream place' when you got your PR.

I moved here 4 years ago and got eligible to apply for Citizenship months ago and I still have not applied for it yet. I will probably do it in the next month or so and when I do it, I will apply and forget about it. It will happen some day, I dont care of they take 5 years or so. I am not going anywhere because this is my home.

I wish they start penalizing people who get their Citizenship and then say good bye to Canada. they should also start stamping 'exit' and 'entry' every time there is travel involved.

This system needs an overhaul.

TheMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 3:24pm
Hello thereSmile

First, I am 'TheMan' not 'Man'. You would not want me to misspell your name, would you?

Ah.. the mission. Well my mission when I moved to Canada was to be able to find a job then to be able to buy a house then to raise a family and then start my own business. And I think i am on the right track. Becoming a Citizen was not my GOAL, it was a bi product of why i am here, yes.

So you would rather wait 5 years to become a Citizen so you can take your family to the US vs getting a US visa and take your family now? I got here and applied for a US visa within a year in Canada and got a 5 year US visa and we go to the US once every 4-5 months. And no, they dont 'stop' you are the border anymore because special registration process has ended (if thats what your concern is) and as long as your I-94 is valid. We always go the custom's booth and they let us in right away.

Govt. job, a job is a job, it will stay a 'job'. Think big, work towards becoming a business owner.

I can go on and on...

Good one.

Originally posted by SarahBC SarahBC wrote:

Hi there Man,

I totally agree with SK!

We have come to Canada with dreams and a mission and we want that mission accomplished.

As for me I can sum up my reasons to the following:
* I promised my kids a trip to Disneyland and I do not want to pay the $180 for the visa nor do I want to wait for hours and hours just because I am not Canadian.
* I want to practice my right of voting and choose who would make Canada a better place for my kids.
* I want to apply for a government job and although I am qualified I can not do so because I am not yet Canadian.
* I left behind me a very well job and an established life and invested my time and effort in coming to Canada; I lived here paid taxes and did what I have to do as a good citizen and I want my reward Smile
I can go on and on and on with more reasons however I think what is mentioned should be enough to tell you why we wait impatiently & eagerly for our RIGHT to be Canadian,

Have a good day,

Sarah
SarahBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SarahBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 4:05pm
The Man!
Sorry for mis spelling your name  ( my badWink)
Jus wanted to let you know that yes I have moved here, got a job ,bought a house and I am settled and Canada is my home that I love ! 
Yet, I still want to travel without the visa process or fees and if you think it's not a big deal that is your opinion which I respect and do not agree with.
Never thought of being a business owner; as a university professor I am quite happy with being paid a monthly salary without the hassle.
To conclude it is just different points of view. To me it is a life changing mater to you it's not and each of us is entitled to what they think.

Gr8 talking to you,

Sarah
canuck25 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 4:06pm
TheMan, 

You make some valid points. On the other hand - you can't judge what's important to someone else according to your own value system. To me becoming a citizen is a much bigger deal than getting my PR. Your PR is in a way an open-ended work permit that gives you an opportunity to start a life in Canada, but does not include the most basic of rights and responsibilities - to participate in the political process of the country that we love. 

Getting a PR for most of us is a testament to the economic value we offer Canada. It's an honorable transaction. Getting the citizenship is much more than that - it's a culmination of cultural, political, personal and emotional assimilation and transformation that all of the immigrants go through. It's about the acceptance of values that 35 million others choose to accept, while at the same time being welcomed to make our contribution to the country, not just to an economy.

As far as travelling - I fully agree with the previous post that a Canadian passport is both an asset and a privilege to carry. I am from Eastern Europe and despite living in the US for over 10 years prior to moving to Canada, I still can't travel anywhere without getting a visa. And the PR - to my knowledge - doesn't help. Sure I have a 10-year visa to the US and I am content, but I equally am sure that for the other respondent it's not just about the $180 cost. It's about acceptance and acknowledgement by other countries, which naturally carries certain logistical benefits. 

I am curious to hear which country you visited and what citizenship you hold, because to my knowledge Canadian PR does little to open doors to top business destinations outside of the touristy countries of central and latin america. 

When I get my Citizenship - which I hope will be soon - I will for the first time truly feel that I officially am a part of Canada. Until then - I simply feel privileged having the opportunity to live and work here indefinitely. 

FYI - I helped start 3 companies since arriving in Canada, one of which was purchased by a billion dollar conglomerate, another one is becoming the fastest growing boutique consultancy in Toronto, and the third one is on its way to producing some of the best entertainment and theatre shows in North America. 

Edited by canuck25 - 23 Mar 2012 at 6:43pm
XPEH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XPEH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 4:26pm
When you buy something online, why do you receive a tracking number and check the status of your order?
Forestmember View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestmember Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 4:37pm
That sounds interesting.

Hello TheMan,

"You can move to Canada, work here, start up a business, raise a family, buy a house etc. I dont think becoming a Citizen is considered as a 'big event' where you are bugging the entire world for it and you need it now (unless you have other motives behind it)".

Of course, PR can do all the things you mentioned above. Likewise, International students can also move within Canada, raise family, buy a house as long as they can afford them. Do you think there is any difference between the immigration status of an international student and a PR who does the above? Your answer may explain the motive. 

By the way, have you ever checked to find out that Federal and provincial jobs are given to Citizens ------> PR ------> Permit holders in that order?

"You can still travel around the world if you really need to with a PR. We do it with no problems."

YES, there is freedom of movement and PRs can travel around the world. You are right on that. But have you ever thought of traveling to the UK or the USA and because you are a PR, you need to go to Toronto, Vancouver etc to do finger prints and attend immigration interview to secure the necessary visa? Do you know how much it cost to fly from North Bay, Thunder Bay, Yellowknife etc to these US and UK visa centres just to do the finger print and the interview? I also guess because some people are PRs, hotels do not charge them when they go for visa interviews. Great savings there.
Have you ever thought about the fees you pay online just to secure appointment for these visa interviews and the number of pictures and self address courier envelopes you need to buy in order to get the visa (if you pass the interview). If you do not know the answers, it cost me $1600 just to attend a UK visitor's visa interview and $1425 or so to get a US visa to attend work related workshops.  

Maybe, the last time you traveled by road to the US, you were not singled out to get into the USCBP office to do finger print, eye and facial scan and pay $6 to secure an I-94 valid for a max of 90 days.

''I moved here 4 years ago and got eligible to apply for Citizenship months ago and I still have not applied for it yet. I will probably do it in the next month or so and when I do it, I will apply and forget about it. It will happen some day, I dont care of they take 5 years or so." 

I know people who moved here more than 30 years ago and do not want to apply for citizenship. I had way more than your 4 years before I applied, and there are uncountable members on this great site who have more years than I do, so you will not be first PR to exceed four years without applying for citizenship.

I am not sure why you even want to apply for Canadian citizenship because PR and Citizens are the same based on your theory. A friendly advice when you apply for your citizenship
1. Never  check your status online because when CIC needs additional documents, you will be notified instantly  through vision and if that does not happen, trust that there is no deadline for any CIC document request. Who knows, they can courier it to you. 

2. And by the way, if your mailed letter for the test does not arrive before your test date and you never checked your status online to see your file update, your local CIC office will let someone hand deliver the questions to you to write in the comfort of your home. Who knows, they may even give you special dispensation when you miss your oath ceremony because you never checked the status online and your mailed package arrived after the ceremony day. 

"I am not going anywhere because this is my home''.

You nailed it right, you are not going any where. After all, this is your home and native land, the true North and Strong. I guess the Canadians who travel outside for business and pleasure are then not Canadians anymore because this is no longer their home. Who knows, your version of the Canadian constitution may state that once a Canadian, always live here or its no longer your home. Your "not going anywhere" makes me understand clearly why you do not know the difference in travel requirements and cost involved for a PR and a citizen. 

I like people who let others decide for them from the Federal, Provincial to the local level, including school boards. Those who understand that a PR and a citizen are not the same sometimes take action by voting to "overall the system" you mentioned. I am afraid, you can only vote and take decisions even on school board elections when you are a citizen. 

Fellow Forum members who understand the difference between PR and citizenship, please note: being a Canadian citizen is choice, if you do not want to become one due to any reason, that is great and respectable, after all, not all countries accept dual citizenship. Thank you.

Originally posted by TheMan TheMan wrote:

hmm..that is interesting and I appreciate your response.

Yes, it is a big event but an even bigger event was when you became a PR. You can move to Canada, work here, start up a business, raise a family, buy a house etc. I dont think becoming a Citizen is considered as a 'big event' where you are bugging the entire world for it and you need it now (unless you have other motives behind it).

You can still travel around the world if you really need to with a PR. We do it with no problems.

You already have your 'dream place' when you got your PR.

I moved here 4 years ago and got eligible to apply for Citizenship months ago and I still have not applied for it yet. I will probably do it in the next month or so and when I do it, I will apply and forget about it. It will happen some day, I dont care of they take 5 years or so. I am not going anywhere because this is my home.

I wish they start penalizing people who get their Citizenship and then say good bye to Canada. they should also start stamping 'exit' and 'entry' every time there is travel involved.

This system needs an overhaul.

TheMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 4:40pm
Who is judging? I am just trying to understand why it seems like the whole world is falling apart when it come to getting the Citizenship.

How can becoming a Citizen can be a BIGGER deal than a PR? How can you possibly become a Citizen prior to becoming a PR and without being in the country. It does not make any sense (with all respect).

A PR is an open ended work permit? Thats a first Shocked and it "restricts the basics of human rights", you serious? Big smile

Like I said, if traveling is so important to you, you would get the visa and travel if traveling is NOT so important to you then your argument of getting the Citizenship so that you can travel is not valid.

Originally posted by canuck25 canuck25 wrote:

TheMan, 

You make some valid points. On the other hand - you can't judge what's important to someone else according to your own value system. To me becoming a citizen is a much bigger deal than getting my PR. Your PR is simply an open-ended work permit that gives you an opportunity to do what you want, but restricts the most basic of human rights - to participate in the political process of the country that many of us love. 

Getting a PR for most of us is a testament to the economic value we offer Canada. It's an honorable transaction. Getting the citizenship is much more than that - it's a culmination of cultural, political, personal and emotional assimilation and transformation that all of the immigrants go through. It's about the acceptance of values that 35 million others choose to accept, while at the same time being welcomed to make our contribution to the country, not just to an economy.

As far as travelling - I fully agree with the previous post that a Canadian passport is both an asset and a privilege to carry. I am from Eastern Europe and despite living in the US for over 10 years prior to moving to Canada, I still can't travel anywhere without getting a visa. And the PR - to my knowledge - doesn't help. Sure I have a 10-year visa to the US, and I am sure for the other respondent it's not just about the $180 visa - it's about acceptance and acknowledgement by other countries. 

I am curious to hear which country you visited and what citizenship you hold, because to my knowledge Canadian PR does little to open doors to top business destinations outside of the touristy countries of central and latin america. 

When I get my Citizenship - which I hope will be soon - I will for the first time truly feel that I officially am a part of Canada. Until then - I simply feel privileged having the opportunity to live and work here indefinitely. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic